Beorning Settlements [Guide]

In Burh1 you can find a lot of meat.

1 Like

Most of the Beornings were woodsmen who basically rallied around Beorn’s family iirc. So I would assume they ate meat. Beornings themselves might have also hunted and killed wargs and ate their meat so idk. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Also @Natanyagrad Might be better suited for a woodsmen settlement in Mirkwood.

4 Likes

Well, I like the smokehouse so I will go with carnivores.

That they don’t. However, as Glov said, all the “Beornings” are not of Beorn’s race, skinchangers.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Cenric’s Homestead

@MicahVanderman and @orrangejuice are now the overall leaders of this project.

10 Likes

Here is a really good document I found about layouts in feudal England, I’d highly recommend everyone to check it out, really useful.
http://www.aedificium.org/Maps/LocalMaps.html

6 Likes

This will be excellent for Rohan too, great find

1 Like

If you want to do more research about the open field system, google Braunton open fields or Laxton open fields. Both villages still got their open fields preserved.

14 posts were split to a new topic: Homestead 4

11 Likes

Where did these images come from? I wish i had seen something like this before doing my homestead.

It’s from a book about the history of the cultural landscape in Sweden

3 Likes

Should have a traveling camp of dwarves along the road or on the outskirts of a burh or village or smthn.

6 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Homestead 4

Since i’m no expert, i’ll ask whats the consensus on ridgelines? I keep seeing wood or beams used along the ridgeline, but from reference images I feel like I never see an exposed topbeam, and it wouldn’t make much sense would it? It would leave the roof open to water damage and other things. Which is why we tend to see thick thatch ridges like below.

Summary

https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/w/images/2/25/Thatchroof.jpg

@Benzathoth?
Another thing I see a lot on the ridgeline are these wooden weights.

Summary

https://previews.123rf.com/images/sonjachnyj/sonjachnyj1703/sonjachnyj170300302/73141832-old-wooden-building-in-retro-slavic-village-traditional-countryside-house-with-straw-roof-in-nationa.jpg

I most recently saw the guy from Primitive Technology use them when he was making an A frame hut to weigh down the thatch on the apex of the roof.

2 Likes

“It is possible that Sauron’s forces had attacked them in early T.A. 3019: when Frodo Baggins wore the One Ring upon Amon Hen, he saw the land of the Beornings aflame” (tolkien gateway)

This might be in the plan given part of Whickery’s project is a flooded mine, but I would love to see some burnt houses, chalets or farm buildings in the south near the mountains. It would make sense to me, given orcs would likely pick off single buildings far from the larger burhs, as I assume they would be soft targets.

On a different note, in reply to @Whickery_Dickens, I understand that you want a certain element of randomness to the orientation. I would argue you can still achieve this effect with around 3 less diagonals. Also, from a building perspective, detailing diagonal buildings effectively and giving them a little variety in shape, windows, balconies and the like, from my experience at least, isn’t at all easy. I would therefore suggest that diagonals work better for simple barns and out houses, while larger, more complex residences remain ‘straight’ (for instance, the inn you have planned).

2 Likes

Different types of ridges

Ridging a thatched roof

There is a lot of different types, using timber is one.

3 Likes

Our server is set 13 years before that point. I can’t imagine the goblins (who were still recovering from the losses of the Battle of the Five Armies) would strike out beyond the mountains if Sauron wasn’t commanding them to.

2 Likes