Rohan Inspiration and Concepts

Found out a couple of useful picturesCOVER
come-funziona
I find this one quite useful, important to leave the top open and, if possible in minecraft, some space for cold air to get in.

This one shows some possible social classes variation, which could be useful. Interesting is that the higher class model has some kind of foundation that isolates from the ground.

7 Likes

3 Likes

6 Likes

Inspired by Talmberg tavern in Kingdom Come Deliverance:

14 Likes

Get that in the Folde right now

8 Likes

Paging @eag_inc and @MicahVanderman

2 Likes

Thankyou @law, very cool

2 Likes

Thought that I’d make a post on Ribe, which while it is in Denmark, could be a really interesting way to base the Folde off of (it was basically the centre of trade for viking, and to a larger extent northern European, culture for a while, so it would match up for what the Folde is to the rest of Rohan).

We mostly just have reconstructions but they’re still worth looking at:

This one obviously has modern additions, but the roof style is interesting to me

The almost vertical thatch gable in this pic also is a bit cool as well:

houses in construction, the daub hasn’t been applied to the timbers yet:

Interesting wooden supports, idk how we’d do it but it’s still good to note:

They’d sleep and eat on the benches lining the walls, can see the furs on them to support that in the second pic:

Seems to be a similar case in some of the more normal homes as well:

Ladders onto the top of the roof crest:

12 Likes

7 Likes

4 Likes

I think we should have more -tun suffixes in our villages.

10 Likes

Like the way the beams look on this market hall. Dont know if something like this might be useable for edoras.

9 Likes

That would fit for the apiarist in Aldburg

5 Likes

http://www.canterburytrust.co.uk/imgpost/as_burial_chamber-2/

1 Like

Since the Westemet is in sight, I thought this could provide some inspiration.

DSC0085_1-001-570x382
These are the typical houses built in the rural areas of the Venice’s lagoon and the swampy areas covering most of the Adriatic coast of the region. This kind of building was reported by byzantine historians at the time the first settlements in the lagoon were founded, roughly around 6th century.
They don’t really look anglo-saxon, but it might be interesting to include some variation to the style as you get to a different terrain, with different life conditions.

6 Likes

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: ArdaCraft Official Resource Pack Overlay

2 Likes

Spreewald, Germany.
Could be interesting for the Westemnet

7551o281

2 Likes

Came across some pictures of this restored village in the Outer Hebrides called Gearrannan Blackhouse Village. Thought it was an interesting mix of the Dunland and Rohan styles, and an interesting way to reflect the mixed heritage of the West Marches.

From Unfinished Tales:
“Beyond the Gap the land between Isen and Adorn was nominally part of the realm of Rohan; but though Folcwine had reclaimed it, driving out the Dunlendings that had occupied it, the people that remained were largely of mixed blood”

I’m unaware of how far in the future the West Marches are, or if some ideas have already been thrown around, but thought it was worth contributing some inspiration either way.

10 Likes