Mithlond (The Grey Havens)

I’ve gone through, cleaned, and edited buildings in this zone. The buildings marked red are ones that need rather A: Re doing partly. Or B: Serious changes. All buildings still need marking for interior work by the project leaders. All this was done with permission from the project leaders.

Though this would need to be approved by Fornad, I’m giving Harry full control over S. Mithlond interiors while I work on the palace. If he needs any major changes he can talk to Dak or myself. This is so I don’t get burned out while trying to power through the palace.

2 Likes

All currently marked buildings are now given the marking for abandoned or not. Ive approved and not approved some of the buildings that have been done today. Future planning will continue over the next few days. My finals end on thursday so Ill have more time then.

When approving houses, make sure the house has a chimney leading the smoke out of the house first… There is approved houses in South Mithlond lacking that already…

3 Likes

I’ll take a look tonight.

Please when you are filling spaces under houses, do not use wool, use stone or whatever stone is suitable in the area.

Also suggestion for Southern Mithlond:

Expand the farmland?

I also found 2 things in the North that need some attention, I have put red markers on them.

2 Likes

The farms are also being expanded westwards keep in mind. I wouldn’t mind some expansion to the north east, but everything considered what you’re asking for may be a bit overkill.

I’m however not the only Co-Lead so this would have to be brought up to hearth/dak and also Fornad since I do believe that this is a major expanse, even if it’s just a few extra farms.

Say we did expand that far out. Most if not all the added farms would most likely be abandoned since a lot of the shops that handle the prossing/selling of crops are abandoned. At this point the elves would only be gathering what they need for their return to Valinor. Having 60% of your city abandoned removes the need for a large amount of crops/farms. I do however like the idea of a few abandoned farms.

1 Like

I didn’t say they had to be used, plus Glaridon who seems to be in charge of elven farmlands likes the idea.

I’m not trying to get into an argument I’m standing by my statement that this should be brought up with Fornad and the other leads first. If Glar wants to put the work in to do this, then awesome. But this is a large expansion, and I don’t believe this decision should be taken lightly given that we aren’t even finished with the farms we have.

I do like the idea of some expansion for abandoned farms but the desision isn’t up to just me.

Also just some friendly advice. You should always clarify when you want something abandoned it removes confusion, and helps with communication which has been an issue of late.

Even if Mithlond is half abandoned, compare it’s farmlands to those at Bree, i think that should say enough.

1 Like

Bree has a far greater density of population though.

I don’t think the farmlands need expanding in that way. Probably they would have originally been that large, but the walls wouldn’t have lasted that long. Remember this city is 6000 years old and has been slowly depopulating the entire time.

1 Like

I still think that there should be leftover ruins and stuff that extend over an area of like twice the size of the farmlands.

I’m fine with some ruined walls near the edges, but not to the extent of ‘twice the size of the farmlands’. You’re not taking the timescale and rate of ruination into account here.

Maybe one more thing to consider would be pastures. Not just for livestock but for horses. Bree and the Shire really only kept horses and ponies as work animals, but the elves would have kept a rather fair amount of them for entertainment and for war, messengers, etc. I should think.

1 Like

I feel like the elven abandoned houses would be more ruined if going along with rate of ruination.

1 Like

Elves tend to keep their city well maintained, and if the city can last thousands of years so can the buildings in it. Buildings can still be used to house elves before they travel to Valinor, as a temporary living before they embark their ships, or wait for their ships to finish being built. Elves however would have no reason to keep an unused farm maintained. That’s basically saying “Well we have this nice house that can house and few elves for a day, they have food enough to last the night.” “What about those old farms?” “Well we aren’t using them so why not let nature take over.” “Huh that actually makes sense, good idea. It lets us focus more on building boats instead of farting around a useful farm that we don’t need. I wish I had thought of that sooner.”

1 Like

What good would it be to keep buildings maintained if they weren’t being used? That makes even less sense than keeping semi-unused farmland maintained so that crop rotation could still occur? Good one chum

He literally made the point that they might still be used occasionally. Good comprehension skills chum

2 Likes

That doesn’t explain all of the abandoned buildings, if it is as drastically as depopulated as you said then you’re contradicting yourself if all those buildings are in use.

I think the point is that elves move in and move out. A good deal of elves travel from elsewhere in middle earth to the havens and stay there before taking ships west. They don’t live there permanently and don’t really add to the population as they leave rather soon thereafter. And just like any city I would think that people change houses every once in a while. If my neighbor down the street moves out of his Mansion then i’m definitely trying to move in there. Besides living in the same house for a couple thousand years would be boring.

5 Likes