Harlond

"So in Mithlond, we have a plausible explanation as to why the abandoned houses are somewhat maintained. Elves would travel from other lands and stay in the Havens for a while before sailing west, so spare houses would be needed.
However, in Harlond, this is not the case."

What about the elves coming from villages in Harlindon?
Beyond that I think the idea is fine.

Didnā€™t we agree that whole villages would leave at once though?

So you would need a whole village worth of extra houses? Or at least and Inn for them to stay in before sailing West?

I suggest looking at this from the perspective of progression in middle earth. What Fornad said makes perfect sense, except Iā€™d take few buildings and make them shelters. So a building thatā€™s crumbling, overgrown, and used as a shelter. You would find campfires, burning or not inside these. Maybe some hanging clothes, a backpack, and some whine. Something for the road if you know what Iā€™m saying. This concept that Fornad describes could be really unique and honestly the idea of it excites me. Itā€™s not even a stretch of Lotr or fact. What heā€™s described is perfectly reasonable. If we want to test this further, Iā€™d simply take a large plot of harlond and build this concept there. If it doesnā€™t work out thereā€™s no harm and no fowl. Iā€™d be willing to give it a go.

Alright, interesting. I have an idea on how to do this.

http://i66.tinypic.com/312wpox.png

Blue: I made it so the elves lives around the main road in Harlond, thatā€™s also where the needed professions is and everything else of what they need. I want to keep that pretty much untouched. There is some abandoned houses in here, but they could be more recently abandoned.

Yellow: In the yellow sections I have laid out pretty much just abandoned houses, I can fully agree to just remove all of these plots and change it to forest and trees etc. I have big gardens in the farmland, donā€™t think they need more.

Red: So the red section is where there is only abandoned houses, I would be happy to remove 4-5 houses, some of them are really bad. And make the remaining once more fallen apart.

Purple: I talked to ThatRuben and he said the elves wouldnā€™t have a theater like that, so I will remove that one as well, since he is an expert on that subject.

I agree, if we do it like this it should reduce my work drastically and it would also look really cool with big sections of trees inside the city walls. Makes it quite unique. Thoughts?

1 Like

Iā€™m saying that Elves would leave from Mithlond far more frequently than they would from Harlond. An inn might be cool though.

Looks great - you could cut houses from the red section in order to fill out the blue sections if you want.

Since weā€™re on the topic. Would they have bothered maintaining the walls?

Yea! When they take the time to take down houses, I guess they would keep everything else in alright shape.

1 Like

Just a thought - nowhere else currently produces salt, so some salt pans/saltworks next to the sea would be great.

The Beach by Barad Ethir looks like it might be better for that?

Why not on the opposite side of Harlond? And youā€™d need some fairly large ones to supply all of Lindon and Eriador, not sure Barad Ethir alone would be able to produce that much.

I still think we need to expand the docks so thereā€™s more of a quay side like glov suggested further up the thread

If you really want to keep that discussion going then PM me.

Maybe just warehouses n stuff, but something basic like this beautiful MS paint drawing.

This post? You never replied to it :stuck_out_tongue:

Itā€™s up to kem but I really donā€™t like the idea.

Iā€™m not going to expand the docks, I guess the docks have been much bigger before, but not anymore. Big ships would just be anchored in the middle of the bay and there will be enough of space in the docks for small boats.

The salt thing sounds cool, I will make sure to have that.

3 Likes

Was just thinking. Unless you wanted very specific professions or building types. You could harvest a good amount of houses from Plots for Harlond.

2 Likes

Yea, I know. I guess some of the buildings would work, but there would be a lot of fixing and editing for me to do. I donā€™t think there will be a problem to finish the last houses in a good time or so, especially when Mithlond is soon done. The fact is, all houses so far in Harlond is made on the right spot, nothing is copied from somewhere else just to speed the progress. Might be a stupid thing by me, but I like that.

Also a reminder guys, if you are interested in doing a Harlond house you should claim a plot now. I donā€™t think you guys are aware, but it will probably be a very long time until we work on something that colorful, might be the most colorful city we will have on the server, after my knowledge.

1 Like

Dale should be pretty colourful as well.