Mithlond (The Grey Havens)

I’m of the opinion that the large palace like structure in South Mithlond, where the council/meeting hall used to be, needs to be removed in favor of something that contributes less to the skyline and is more functional. I think a square with a potential market or just a sitting/viewing area would be nice. I feel as though the building that is there now, like the council hall before it, is a source of frustration and burn out–as it has traded builders a few times now with little progress. It also conflicts as a focal point of the city, with it taking up nearly as much weight as the Library, Armory/Barracks, and the palace. Even though a square or park would be a focal point, it wouldn’t create as much of a visual burden on players exploring the city for the first time. I’d like to take the opportunity to build a square there, as I’ve been doing throughout Mithlond and now in Harlond as well. I won’t get burned out on it and quit half way as builds like that are what I enjoy doing. It’ll also be a natural transition from the courtyard I have there now.

2 Likes

If you mean the building where the dome used to be, I don’t think making that a park on that platform would be good, as there is already a large amount of park area around the dome, it would turn into a huge ass park then.

I agree with both of you. I loved the way the city looked before you erased the council hall, and the actual structure looks too eclectic and does not fit to the standards, certainly due to a lack of plannification (I’m even recalling wheellee admiting it himself! :blush: ). Also, I helped with the eastern wing, but ended up leaving it behind because I didn’t know where it was going.
The question is : what kind of building will fit to his location? An extra mansion/palace? A tribunal? What about a memorial with a big badass statue of Gil-Galad? :heart_eyes:

If the location is what I think, and the area exactly where the dome was, I think the building there fits, it just isn’t finished yet. We need to stop going 'oh its not finished, but I don’t like it, and pressing for something else to be built before the original building is finished.It is a great location for a nobles house, as has been built there, I think we should wait for it to be finished as it is going so far.

You’re the boss!

I’m going through removing and rearranging structures at the moment. The mansion area needs to be there though, no matter what. Plus a park there wouldn’t really contribute well in my opinion.
EDIT: Let me rephrase what I previously said, South Mithlond wasn’t completely unplanned, I just wasn’t as specific to people as to what I wanted and I also wasn’t sure how to make it unique from human cities myself at the time. There were generic wool block circles for houses and lines for roads, but I wasn’t as specific while planning as I was with north Mithlond, and the planning was done in smaller sections ,leading to the variably different parts of the city. However the heights of the buildings along the ridge was thought about, especially in relation to the palace itself. So yea, there was generic planning in small sections, it just wasn’t on par with the level shown in the North.

1 Like

Sorry guys, I think I’ll have to push the build day to Sunday, due to time contraints on the planning side of things. I’ll have it ready by Sunday though planned nicely in order to maximize work effort, look forward to seeing you then. It works out for me as well because then you won’t have me randomly AFKing AS often as it would happen on Saturday.

Just curious, whatever happened to Guan’s village just outside Southern Mithlond? Looks rather empty.

Build Day
Same layout as last time, If we can all push through and do this once and for all this weekend it would be appreciated, as last time was kind of lacking. Please, I know you’re all tired of Mithlond, but this is the last push. Sooner we complete Mithlond, sooner we can actually move onto better/more fun things (Harlond, Forlond, Arnor). Hope to see you there, and hopefully for the final big build day in the North! We need as many people as we can there, so be sure to clear your day or try and help sunday if you can’t make it on Saturday.

2 Likes

I just got the idea to build a dock with an almost completed White Ship, the ship in which Gandalf, Galadriel, Elrond, Gildor and the Bagginsses travel to the Undying Lands. I imagine it as a very big, beautiful ship. The Lord of the Rings, chapter IX The Grey Havens, only says (this is not a literal quote, but the translated quote from the Dutch books):
'And he (Círdan) looked to them and bowed and said:
"Everything is now ready."
Afterwards Círdan led them to the Havens and there a white Ship (with capital S !) layed, and on the pier stood a stature, entirely dressed in white, waiting for them.'
The fact Círdan said that everything was now ready, obviously indicates that they ordered the ship or that Círdan foresaw their departure for Valinor. Either way, the progress of building the ship was started or even near finishing. Guan told me the time perspective of ArdaCraft is when Frodo is in Bree, so that’s five years before the Ship is finished. Maybe the ship could look something like this? The white Ship

It’s set twelve years before Frodo sets out for Bree, so the ship might not have even been started - or had been built long before, who knows.

1 Like

I do not think the Ship had been built long before. I get the impression from Círdan’s words in the LotR

Considering that this is years before they leave, the ship would probably not have been started yet.

That’s just an interpretation. He could have just meant ‘all your things are packed and we’re ready to set sail’.

I’m not at all opposed to having the ship being built at the time the map is set - ships last for decades - but there’s no basis in the text for it.

2 Likes

The Thanks so much guys on the build day! Meant a lot. There are scattered areas throughout the north that need doing (gardens, walls, ships). If any of you are willing it’d be great if you could find one of those places and finish them, no asking required!

1 Like

We’re going to start doing north Mithlond interiors next weekend. @kingorrik will be planning a build day for next Saturday.

@dags @wheellee, we need elven paintings in the RP before then. Can you two have a chat soon-ish and make that happen?

1 Like

Alright guys and any girls we have among us. This sunday (23/10/16) shall be an interior build day for north Mithlond. I shall be trying to get on to label up houses, expect a similar system to what Kem is using in Harlond. There is an example interior that I shall make clear for you to look at for inspiration, and for deserted houses you can have a look at Harlond deserted houses, as I expect them to be in a similar state.

4 Likes

Build day is tomorrow guys, 23/10. The area we are working on is below, each house has comments above it with what I roughly want in the house. A few notes- first, do not touch the house which has the red cross over it on the image below, it is being saved for something. Second, there is an example interior for both inhabited and abandoned houses in the pink and black marked houses respectively.

We also have new paintings added to day- to add them please follow the guide on this link -
ACPaintings.
The full command will be /paint painting3 and then the painting number you want.
I fully understand battlefield 1 came out yesterday, so I dont expect and amazing turnout- anyone who turns up will be greatly appreciated.

4 Likes

Hi guys, there will be a build day on north Mithlond interiors this Saturday, 12/11/16. The build day section, shown below, is an extension of last build days section, and then moving onto the dock areas, most buildings near the dock are warehouses. There are still some buildings from the last section, I would much prefer to finish this section before we move onto the next section.

1 Like

I’m going to be personally leading a build day this Sunday. We’re going to try to finish all the warehouses in the current section - see you all then!

2 Likes