Gondor Inspiration and Concepts

Matera, south of Italy, is considered the oldest still inhabited city in the italian territory, since the first inhabitants have colonized the area about in 10000 b.C. or so. Even if during the centuries it was subjected to the greeks, the romans and to the long list of rulers of the middle ages, none of these powers has changed the urban organization of the city and its spontaneous and unorganized growth on the side of a deep canyon.

b6de4368_1200_4ecb_b29a_749f1212cb25

I think it’s quite clear that this city can be an incredible source of inspiraiton for Minas Tirith: the way the buildings are built one over the other climbing up the hill is just incredible. It feels natural and organic, like the buildings are part of the mountain itself. This is the result, as I said, of a society that has kept unchanged its traditions, lifestyle and building techniques during many centuries.
But what makes the city really unique is the specific structure of the houses.

shutterstock_154329389-sassi-matera

As the last two pictures show, most of the houses are nothing else but caves with a walled entrace, with most of the rooms being carved inside of the mountain. (most of these now are empty, living conditions were terrible)
Here are a couple of reconstructions of what the interiors looked like when inhebited.

an-orifginal-cave-dwelling

So i think this kind of settlement can be applied for some not so evolved populations of men we have in the southern part of our map. They can be ruined or still inhabited and should mark the presence of the pre-gondorian populations that lived in those areas before being colonized by numenorians.
Thanks for reading.

17 Likes

9e2c32c9-4d9b-4ddb-8637-37032dc71802

6 Likes

images

4 Likes

12 Likes

2 Likes

9 Likes

12 Likes

10 Likes

Most of the inspiration on here tends to be Mediterranean in style which seems to fit the area of Gondor south of the white mountains. I’m interested to see any ideas on Anorien - style wise, material wise. I also wonder about the transition from Rohan - surely the transition from thin, one story, thatch and wood Anglo-Saxon houses to large stone and shingle houses would be too hard to stomach?

Maybe the best option in terms of inspiration is lower France? A medieval village I found which (I think) would sort of match the latitude of Anorien was Saint-Cirq-Lapopie.

Pics

11 Likes

9 Likes

Ronda, Spain

7 Likes

Puy L’évêque, France

For one of the villages in lamedon along a river

1 Like

https://imgur.com/gallery/CV2Bp cool album of a scale model of ancient Rome

5 Likes
6 Likes

lonato-del-garda-casa-vacanza-e-ville-in-affitto-turistico Lonato-del-garda
Lonato del Garda

2 Likes

Malcesine

5 Likes

Timgad (Thamugadi) in Algeria, ruins and a reconstruction by JC. Golvin.

5 Likes

5 Likes

Lutetia (Paris) around 100 AD

Around 400 AD - reinforced military base on the island, newly constructed arena

3 Likes

Idea for an arena so we don’ t make them all out of stone:

5 Likes