Dwarven settlements in the Southern Ered Luin

When will you figure something out?

Proper planning will begin fairly soon, in a few days, probably. The coal mine won’t be hard to build, so it won’t take long, especially since it’ll mostly consist of mining tunnels. It would probably be best to have the lumber camp constructed first or alongside the coal mine, being the marginally smaller of projects.

3 Likes

Are there any plans to differentiate the coal mines from the regular mines we’ve already made? I think having this could be a cool feature since it would give a visible difference between the two types of mines.

Now these are just suggestions and are up for discussion so feel free to argue against or add more ideas.

Having wooden panels on the sides of the tunnels could look nice imo but I haven’t tried it out in game. Another idea would be to make the tunnels feel a lot more cramped than the other tunnels i.e. having them 2x2 or even 2x1 in some places. I know this leaves little room for beams and for mining carts to get past each other but if you had some sort of one way traffic system then I’m sure it would be doable.

Another suggestion, is to make the tunnel layout more like a grid/less organic and more organised.

Something similar to this might be nice.
Let me know your thoughts.

4 Likes

The coal mine is already very much differentiated from the rest of the mines. Fornad and I started setting up the coal mine last night, and it’s based in a clearing in the middle of the forest next to the mountains. It’s a single elevator shaft directly downwards, with two seams being dug into, loosely based on bell pits.

It looks something like this, but of course different. I feel like the Dwarves’ type of mining would be something like the techniques from the Industrial revolution being mixed with more sophisticated, almost modern techniques and technology. This is mostly to differentiate them from the Orcs and ‘evil’ industrialisation that Saruman sponsors.

The mining tunnels themselves are being based on room and pillar mining and, to an extent, retreat mining. From this, the mining tunnels will be 2x2 'main tunnels and 1x2 ‘branch’ tunnels designed to feel cramped and tight as shit in a sort-of lattice formation, quite like this:

Though obviously less extensive. As seen from this picture, the tunnels will go out in diagonal cone-ish formations, linking back on each other regularly and creating pillars.

There’s already a warp to the coal mine on the server (the warp name is self-explanatory). You can go and see how these ideas are being applied so far, but your suggestions are still appreciated. I hadn’t really thought as much about supports as much as I should, and I do need to think about their method of transporting coal through such tight tunnels.

1 Like

Wasnt there also a fourth settlement planned in the south? to make sure the south has more dwarves than north.

More settlements may come once the Ered Luin gets expanded southwards, but that’s not a part of our project.

3 Likes

I’m having an orgasm.

Cunts and cuntettes, everything that needed doing in this project has been done. The project is complete, it’s all over. Bizar-Filatin, Thafar-Damith, Khalath-Giri, Nara-Athuk, the coal mine, the lumber camp and various merchant camps and hunting camps have finally been complete. This project went for fourteen months. Fourteen fucking months.

Thanks to everyone who helped by building interiors and halls, and goodbye. I now finally have permission to kill myself. Here I come, my old friend Noose.

15 Likes

Congratulations to both of you. This project has set the tone for dwarven builds on the map, and has provided many builders with great experience for Moria and Erebor.

Soap, I always look forward to your project updates, and hope to see you lead another project in future once you’ve finished your therapy for dwarven PTSD.

Guan… keep being Guan.

Much love lads

8 Likes