Dwarven settlements in the Southern Ered Luin

Player name: _Guan_Yu, Soap887

Player rank: Builder+

Location name: Southern Ered Luin

Lore: There is little lore on the Dwarves in the southern Ered Luin. All that i can think of is the quote from Tolkien that the majority of the Ered Luin Dwarves live in the southern part, that most of the stuff they mine is Iron. And that they had fair halls again, tho this last one could be for Thorin’s Halls itself only.

Beyond the Lune was Elvish country, green and quiet, where no Men went; but Dwarves dwelt, and still dwell, in the east side of the Blue Mountains, especially in those parts south of the Gulf of Lune, where they have mines that are still in use. For this reason they were accustomed to pass east along the Great Road, as they had done for long years before we came to the Shire.

• Appendix A; III

Of iron were most of the things that they forged in those days, but they prospered after a fashion, and their numbers slowly increased. But, as Thrór had said, the Ring needed gold to breed gold, and of that or any other precious metal they had little or none.
-The Return of the King, LoTR Appendix A, Annals of the Kings and Rulers: Durin’s Folk

Now they had fair halls in the mountains, and store of goods and their days did not seem so hard, though in their songs they spoke ever of the Lonely Mountain far away, and the treasure and the bliss of the Great Hall in the light of the Arkenstone.
-Unfinished Tales, Part 3, Ch 3, The Quest of Erebor: Appendix

Overhead plan:

Reference Imagery:

Concepts:

Please use medieval/early modern blast furnaces as a reference rather than modern ones.

edit: You’ll need a finery forge too unless they just exported the pig iron. Read the “Origin and spread of early modern blast furnaces” section of this article.

1 Like

http://folk.uib.no/hnohf/khuzdul.htm
http://tolkien.cro.net/mearth/tolklang/khuzdul.html

Gonna leave this here, for possible names to give my settlements.

Application for mine2

Player name(s): TedTomstone

Player rank: Builder

Location name: mine2

Lore:
Although we do not know much about the Blue Mountains as it is only on the fringes of Tolkien’s LOTR we do know in the latter part of the Third Age, the Dwarves settled the Blue Mountains again when the Dwarven survivors of the Sack of Erebor moved from Dunland and delved a prosperous settlement there.

Beyond the Lune was Elvish country, green and quiet, where no Men went; but Dwarves dwelt, and still dwell, in the east side of the Blue Mountains, especially in those parts south of the Gulf of Lune, where they have mines that are still in use. For this reason they were accustomed to pass east along the Great Road, as they had done for long years before we came to the Shire.

• Appendix A; III

Of iron were most of the things that they forged in those days, but they prospered after a fashion, and their numbers slowly increased. But, as Thrór had said, the Ring needed gold to breed gold, and of that or any other precious metal they had little or none.
-The Return of the King, LoTR Appendix A, Annals of the Kings and Rulers: Durin’s Folk

Now they had fair halls in the mountains, and store of goods and their days did not seem so hard, though in their songs they spoke ever of the Lonely Mountain far away, and the treasure and the bliss of the Great Hall in the light of the Arkenstone.
-Unfinished Tales, Part 3, Ch 3, The Quest of Erebor: Appendix

Overhead plan:
The plan for mine2 consists of 3 main levels (1 level being about 3 stories high), however these rooms wont all be level, as it is a mine. Also I am hoping if you think it is okay to have a man made reservoir on the mountain, with a connection of canals that transport the mines water, and a stream that comes out of the mountain too. There will be a range of houses varying from 3 roomed to the wealthier 3 stories. The feel will be similar to that of mine3, but on my build I want the build to feel less finished, so if you go to the end of a street it there will still be mining going on. Once the south side of the mountain is finished I would also like to build a smaller entrance from the south side.

Reference Imagery:
This is an example of a dwarven entrance

This is the sought of dirty conditions the dwarven miners will be mining in deep into the mountain

Concept(s):

1 Like

Needs a different layout, i’m not feeling this one.

Okay, I will think on a new layout, and make it out of wool to get a more 3d feel.

Could you build one on the plots we got? That way i can see it ingame, and help you with it.

Okay, I built it in single player but can rebuild it in a plot

Can we please ensure that all fires have ventilation to take the smoke outside

So far they all do.

The fires and furnaces in houses seem not to.

1 Like

They all pretty much do.

Upcoming saturday (16 July) there will be a dwarven build day in Mine3.

It’s gonna be nothing difficult mainly houses and interiors. There is an example outside the main gate, and finished houses inside the mines you can base yours off.

The houses that will need to be build are going to be marked with and orange wool block above their doors. On it there will be a sign with the amount of dwarves who live there.

Orange wool = Needs to be build
Purple wool = WIP (place a name sign)
Yellow wool = Ready to be checked (place a name sign)
Green wool = Done (will be placed after checking)
Red wool = Needs editing (will have a sign with info, will be placed after checking)

Today is the build day people, hop on and start buildin!

Alright i am ending the build day. A total of 12 houses were completed, the bath house got added and completed. A whole new street has been added, and a big chunk of the mines is now under construction. Even tho not as many players as i hoped for showed up today, i am happy with the progress overall.

Thanks alot for the help people!

4 Likes

Fornad, now Mine 3 is basically 98% completed, i need you to contact me and check on the settlement whenever you can or feel like it. Give some final thoughts on it, and maybe help with making it 100% complete? :stuck_out_tongue:

Alright, ladies, gentlemen and the rainbow inbetween, this coming Sunday the 18th’s a build day for mine1. We have still thirty houses that need doing in the first hall, last I checked. Additionally, we have a feast hall that needs building, as well as the kitchen and storage halls connected to it.
The Feast Hall
The red wool outline represents the design of the roof, being a zig-zag design like in the first hall, so look at that for reference. The feast hall is up for application, so if you want to do it, post here.

3 Likes

Alrighty guys, today is the Mine1 build day! There is a small tutorial and example area right in front of you if you /warp mine1. I hope to see plenty of you online!

1 Like

Alright, folks, that was a pretty good turnout. I have no idea how many houses got done today exactly, but as of now we have ten houses completed and approved and four houses that need to be finished, making 26 houses left over.
Additionally, I made an entire mined out residential cave and added thirteen new houses, bringing the current Dwarf population of mine1 up to a good, round 200 and the house count back up to 31 houses (46 in total).And, good news for all tunnel scrubs: Along with the cave came some entrances to mining tunnels, so we can start on those now.
And, last but not least, was the two feast halls, which have just been finished by Hoppingharry and I, with only the details requiring completion. After this, the kitchens will be done by Toothe and then work further into the mine can begin.
And with that, the build day has ended, with pretty good progress all-around. Well, that was fun, but now I’m going to bed.G’night.

3 Likes