Caras Galadhon

Player name(s): Fornad and PaladiinRL

Player rank: Builder+

Private or Public: Private, and public later on

Location name: Caras Galadhon

Lore:

Quotes

Frodo looked and saw, still at some distance, a hill of many mighty trees, or a city of green towers: which it was he could not tell.
There was a wide treeless space before them, running in a great circle and bending away on either hand. Beyond it was a deep fosse lost in soft shadow, but the grass upon its brink was green, as if it glowed still in memory of the sun that had gone. Upon the further side there rose to a great height a green wall encircling a green hill thronged with mallorn-trees taller than any they had yet seen in all the land. Their height could not be guessed, but they stood up in the twilight like living towers. In their, many-tiered branches and amid their ever-moving leaves countless lights were gleaming, green and gold and silver. ” (The ‘green wall’ will be done with mossy blocks and natural blocks. The ‘green and gold’ lamps may need a new texture’)
There was a road paved with white stone running on the outer brink of the fosse. Along this they went westward, with the city ever climbing up like a green cloud upon their left; and as the night deepened more lights sprang forth, until all the hill seemed afire with stars. They came at last to a white bridge, and crossing found the great gates of the city: they faced south-west, set between the ends of the encircling wall that here overlapped, and they were tall and strong, and hung with many lamps.
Haldir knocked and spoke, and the gates opened soundlessly; but of guards Frodo could see no sign. The travellers passed within, and the gates shut behind them. They were in a deep lane between the ends of the wall, and passing quickly through it they entered the City of the Trees. No folk could they see, nor hear any feet upon the paths; but there were many voices, about them, and in the air above. Far away up on the hill they could hear the sound of singing falling from on high like soft rain upon leaves.
They went along many paths and climbed many stairs, until they came to the high places and saw before them amid a wide lawn a fountain shimmering. It was lit by silver lamps that swung from the boughs of trees, and it fell into a basin of silver, from which a white stream spilled. Upon the south side of the lawn there stood the mightiest of all the trees; its great smooth bole gleamed like grey silk, and up it towered, until its first branches, far above, opened their huge limbs under shadowy clouds of leaves. Beside it a broad white ladder stood, and at its foot three Elves were seated.
As he climbed slowly up Frodo passed many flets: some on one side, some on another, and some set about the bole of the tree, so that the ladder passed through them. At a great height above the ground he came to a wide talan, like the deck of a great ship. On it was built a house, so large that almost it would have served for a hall of Men upon the earth. He entered behind Haldir, and found that he was in a chamber of oval shape, in the midst of which grew the trunk of the great mallorn, now tapering towards its crown, and yet making still a pillar of wide girth.
The chamber was filled with a soft light; its walls were green and silver and its roof of gold. Many Elves were seated there. On two chairs beneath the bole of the tree and canopied by a living bough there sat, side by side, Celeborn and Galadriel.
Mirror of Galadriel :
Turning aside, she led them toward the southern slopes of the hill of Caras Galadhon, and passing through a high green hedge they came into an enclosed garden. No trees grew there, and it lay open to the sky. The evening star had risen and was shining with white fire above the western woods. Down a long flight of steps the Lady went into a deep green hollow, through which ran murmuring the silver stream that issued from the fountain on the hill. At the bottom, upon a low pedestal carved like a branching tree, stood a basin of silver. wide and shallow, and beside it stood a silver ewer.

Overhead plan: Will be added soon

These tasks as follows will be represented:

• Carpenter (2)
  • Bowyer/fletcher
  • Cooper
  • Cobbler
  • Artist
  • Potter
  • Dairy (cheese)
  • Dyer
  • Lampwright
  • Beekeeper
  • Instrument-maker
  • Blacksmith
  • Parchmenter/scribe
  • Field for lembas crop

Sequence of jobs:

• Finish overhead plan
  • Create proper ‘wire frames’ for each tree and label each one
  • Lay out paths in sandstone and ground structures in wool, then open to public
  • Paste in smaller trees
  • Do gate, wall and fosse (build day?)
  • Do Galadriel and Celeborn’s tree

Deadline: 2050 at this rate

In-game guide: Will be made before being opened to the public.

Terrain: The wall and fosse will need to be worked on (possibly with a build day). The shape of the hill itself is already mostly fine.

Reference Imagery:

Pics

https://ardacraft.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/original/2X/d/de1e27eb0a1fbbc5a2c5ce26e80d8c274d2bbefa.jpg
https://ardacraft.s3.dualstack.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/original/2X/d/d8f36de8492cdce84ead77c52799221d1f55fbaf.jpg

14 Likes

Good application, but if you can provide us with further concepts, I would be willing to accept.

6 Likes

The concepts of the houses are not here cause the don’t exist yet, but they will come very soon, don’t worry. Same goes for the distribution of the buildings. Opening the thread was a way to show that we have actually (and finally) started working on it, just to rise the attention. :ok_hand:

2 Likes

He was making a joke mr italian man

6 Likes

Time to sum up what I’ve been working on during the last month, in order to hear some opinions and suggestions. Since this is a major location in the lore and one of the fantasy places where we have a lot of freedom, I want the building style to be very well researched and studied, with the contribution of the all community.
Both me and @Neverlegendary agree that the style needs to be very different from the one seen in the villages, possibly an even better one. With this goal in mind, I’ve been trying to implement some ideas:

• Even if the villages had a very fantasy style, the buildings mantained a normal structure, walls + roof. In Caras the walls will disappear, and the roof will be the only dominant element, going down very deep in the sides of the houses, meeting with the ground.

• The roofshape, compared to the villages, will be a bit more “simple”. The villages often had some very winding lines that changed very often their curve and direction; in the concepts I’ve done I’ve tried to make them more clean and simple. Some Images will explain this a bit better.

(a house in lv4 by Snowy, with some very sinuous lines) (the bathhouse concept already pasted in the main map, with simpler and cleaner lines)
    The main source of inspiration for this simplification of the roofshape comes, as crazy as it may sound, from elven-looking modern architecture, where the roofs tend to be a combination of simple shapes rather than an only complex surface. (Sidney opera house, Lotus Temple, TWA therminal in jfk airport) I also think that this style could be much easier and understandable to non expert builders.

• As seen in the picture above, ground buildings (not everything will be up on the trees), will be half dug into the terrain. This won’t apply for everyone of them, but, knowing how much steep the hill in Caras is, it’s something that would make a lot of sense, unless we want to do some huge and monumental platfoorms, but I don’t like the idea.

• The concepts for the treehouses are those giving me more problems, cause there are many issues to solve. The space is very limited, both in surface and height because of the upper branches; the house shouldn’t look too heavy, so big columns must be avoided; the platforms must somehow follow the shape of the branch where it’s build upon to have a more natural look. Those below are my best attempts so far, but I think that there’s still a lot to explore on this field.

(these screens have a fucky point of view, they look better ingame)

All of the concepts can be found close to the /warp bananarepublic
If anyone has some inspiration images to show, suggestions to give or simply figured the style differently in his mind, please express it, every opinion is much appreciated.
Thank you for reading.

11 Likes

Reminds me of Mystvale on Voxel Box’s pangea, ship hull like contours on roofs etc.

I wouldn’t follow this scale, nor does it need to have as much of an exotic look, but the flowing lines in these buildings could be some use as inspiration.

1 Like

Ye we definitly need some domes, especially in the buildings which will go around the trunk.

Oh, not talking about the air balloon. Probably should ignore that one. That being said, domes can be good.

1 Like

Did a quick sketch up

7 Likes

I know this might take you back to square 1 regarding the tree houses but do you need to be doing fully fledged roofs with tiles etc? They are under the canopy of the tree so it seems a bit unnecessary to me. I’d at least try out a concept style without the roof to see what you can come up with, especially since you said youre struggling a bit more with the style. You could also try some canvas type roofs which could look interesting and would logically fit in with the capes that Lothlorien is known for.

This picture below is somewhat along the lines of what I mean regarding the non roofed platforms and the occasional canvas covering roof.

My overall point is, that I think the pic below has far too much roof and just looks too heavy for a treehouse structure. A more dainty design would fit far better imo.

9 Likes

My sketch can also imply some cloth roof of some type. But I also think for these to be functional living structures, they need some measure of protection from the elements, whatever that may be. Hard to write as a scribe when the wind is blowing about and big drops of rain are pouring in from the boughs.

5 Likes

Thank you very much for the comment, this is exactly the kind of feedback was looking for.
Since in the previous post I was more focused on the building style, I didn’t specify how I meant to organize the flets on the trees. The idea is to have a roofed building in the middle, in proximity of the trunk, where the tree would be more resistant; then other smaller and less heavy platforms on the branches. The central one should usually be where public activities would happend (social life, workshops), those on the brancehs would be the sleeping and chiling areas, or just viewpoints on the forest. So not all of the flets are meant to be an actual treehouse, but only the most “important” ones.

Taking this into account, I’ve never thought about the courtains and I will certaintly implement those. The inspiration picture is very good, I will probably go with a very similar design, thank you for the suggestion.
But anyway, since the flet where the fellowship meets Celeborn and Galadriel is described to be an actual hall with the trunk in the middle, I suppose it would make sense to have some others of them arund the city, with that being the biggest and most complex one. Also, if we decide to avoid any kind of roofed flet, we would end up having a more sophisticated architecture in the villages rather than Caras, which doesn’t fit its status of capital and only city of the forest.
About the buildings feeling heavy, the only thing I can say is that it is very hard to get a shape feeling light and sinuous at the same time using minecraft. This is really the best result I could get so far; I will certainly try to improve it, but there are some limitations that can’t be overcome.

7 Likes

Given the fact that there could be workshops in the trees I think it would be wise to add cranes or something like that in the trees or connect trees which have workshops with bridges for transportation or something like that since I Imagine it wouldnt be an option to carry all the stuff and resources by hand on ladders or stairs.

3 Likes

Yup cranes will be very important, maybe every house should have one. About the bridges, since trees tend to move a lot with wind, only flexible rope bridges can work, but I am not so sure that they can look good with minecraft. If someone comes up with a good design for it we can implement them for sure, all of my experimets with them were not so great.

4 Likes

Yeah not sure if those elves would necessarily use cranes as we know them. I’d imagine more organic and basic roped-pulley systems would be more common place tbqh.

6 Likes

OVERALL LAYOUT

The city is divided into 4 sections (red lines), corresponding to 4 comminities of about 25-30 elves. Every section/community will have his own social spaces, feashall and dedicated workhops. In this way we can recreate the typical organisaion of the villages around the forest. This doesn’t mean the city will be totally divided: most of the workshops will be at the use of the whole city and the division won’t really be that visible, but we thought it was necessary basically because the city is too big to be considered as a single community (no way you could fit all of the city into a single feashall) and because it helps us to have more organized work.

Orange crosses: trees hosting community related activities (feasthall, storage, ecc…)
Yellow crosses: trees hosting workshops
Light blue lines: group of trees hosting the sleeping flets, possibly connected by bridges, making up some kind of sub-communities. Don’t consider these too much, they are there mostly to have the city a bit more organized in the building process.
This layout doesn’t show the location of the ground builidings because it would end up into a complete mess, but they are all marked ingame already.

EVERY SECTION WILL FEATURE

• Feasthall and kitchen (up on a tree, with some stuff on the ground)
  • Storage (tree and ground)
  • Allotments
  • Main meeting area (ground)
  • Community tree (artistic activities, music playing, ecc…) (tree)
  • Weaver, tailor, cobbler workshops (tree)

Every section will also host some other workshops, which won’t be related to it but at the use of the entire city.

SECION 1

• MIlitary stuff (forges, bowyer/fletcher, armory, training area) (all on the ground)
  • Carpenter/cooper (ground)

SECTION 2

• Beekeeper and beehives (ground)
  • Lampwright (tree)
  • Bathhouse (ground)
  • Potter (ground)
  • Dyer (ground)

SECTION 3

• Theatre and related activities (ground and tree)
  • Instrument maker (ground)
  • Parchemnter/scrbe and a very tiny library (ground and tree)
  • Brewery and vineyard (ground)

SECTION 4

• Lembas Crop
  • Flax field for ropes
  • Carpenter/cooper (ground)
  • Potter (ground)

I hope this is all clear.
The definitive post about the building style will come as soon as possible.
Cheers

14 Likes

THE POST THAT WAS PROMISED

After many months of hard work, I’m glad to announce that the building style for Caras Galadhon is finally set! Now I’ll try to summarize everything I’ve been up to. I know many of these informations are not necessary and useless, but I don’t care and I will torture you with a complete explanation; just for personal satisfaction.

The main goal of my endless and autistic building style development was to re-create and make visible the evolution of the architecture and so of the lifestyle of the elves living in the city.
In a chronological order, this evolution makes sense to be Cloth roofed flets => Treehouses => Ground buildings.

CLOTH ROOFED FLETS

This is the simplest and most primitive structure, realistically used by the first inhabitants of the city (which happend to be the same of latest ones, since elves are immortal). The basic idea is to have the cloth looking like it was just dropped over the flets and the 4 little pillars sustaining it, going deep down below the floor level.
All of the “private” sleeping flets will be done this way, leaving the treehouses only to public use dedicated buildings.

TREEHOUSES

The treehouses should be the most logic and realistic evolution of the cloth roofed flets. For this reason I kept the idea of the cloth hanging down below the floor, simply turning it into a more solid roof and giving it a more sinuous and organic shape. One possible problem of this design is that when seen from the inside, the treehouse feels a bit too “closed” and almost claustrophobic, contradicting the very open look of the houses of the villages; however, this design makes the interior feel much more intimate and safe (they are about 40 meters above the ground), other than looking very sexy. It is also somehow close to the image that most of the people have when they think about Caras Galdhon (just google it and you willl find plenty pf similar designs) and I think that what people expect from a buidling is also something to be taken into account.
Fully roofed treehouses will probably be used in a very restricted number of buildings (feashalls). Workshops and other public buildings will proabably have some cloth parts alongside the golden and silver roofs, while, as I said, sleeping flets will be all done with cloth.

GROUND BUILDINGS

In the very limited Tolkien’s writings where Lorien is directly described, we get the information that ground structures where a later development, while in the beginning elves only lived up on the trees. Caras Galadhon is the only place where the so called Talan are still common, for this reason we palnned the ground structure to be as few as possible, but they are still necessary to host the workshops that simply don’t make any sense to be up on the trees.
I kept the same roofshape of the treehouses, with the roof meeting with the ground on the sides, underlining the fact that these were done once the style had already been developed.
Having them half dug into the terrain is something almost necessary because of the very steep terrain, but it also reminds the shape of a cave, which, alongside tents and treehouses, is the most ancestral and primitive type of shelter used by the first populations in prehistoric ages. I think this can underline the very simple and a natural lifestyle of the elves of Lorien and show once again the deep connection they have with the land.

I hope everything was understandable enough, I tried my best to explain it with my not so flowing english; I also hope this matches with what you had imagined this city to look like. But I warn you that after all the time, energies and autism crisis I’ve put into this, any objecion or suggestion will be utterly rejected, so spare your words.
Cheers.

9 Likes

Can I make a complete and total change suggestion or two… or ten?

Depends on how many “Fuck off” you want to hear :kissing_heart:

5 Likes

Ladies and gentlemen,
after many delays, the first section of Caras Galadhon is finally OPEN TO PUBLIC.
For the moment we are focusing on the trees and the flets built upon them: no one is to do any work on the ground, except for what concerns the tree he has claimed. Ground work will come with time, we still have to figure out some things.

Since making one single tree probably takes almost the same amount of work of a small rohan homestead, you are allowed, (if not suggested!!!), to co-work a tree with someone else, especially for those who will be doing the bigger ones with the roofed treehouses. This can keep your motivation up and hopefully avoid abandoned stuff. Be prepared, that it is not an one-hour commitment and the trees are quite demanding.
On the other hand, we highly recommend you to give a deep look to the guides we have put up for you (/warp caras guides); take all the time you need to practise and do all the tests you need on freebuild. Making the wool layout of the trees is a real pain: please be merciful and start working on the main world only when you are confident enough (Or be ready for some severe critique :smiley: )
Don’t be scared tho, I’m making it sound way more difficult than what it really is, I’m sure you will all contribute to make this beauty. @Neverlegendary and me are here to give any kind of feedback and help.
Happy building :slight_smile:
(/warp CGbuild)

15 Likes