Beorning Settlements [Guide]

Even if there was a bridge once made by dwarves, Khazad-dûm is now gone, and so are the resources to maintain it. I highly doubt the Beornings would have the technology and resources to keep such a massive bridge maintained, it would be easier to just have a ford.

2 Likes

Wanted to raise a quick thing about the use of the ‘stacked log’ blocks which are used for some of the diagonal buildings have corners which I presume are where the logs in real life buildings would intersect. The way the texture works means that on diagonals these intersections are all you see - if you wanted to be nit picky about realism that wouldn’t make much sense but imo aesthetically it doesn’t look great either, especially when the block is used without breaking it up. I think using vertical wood textures and mud plaster type blocks may work better. That being said, I’m pretty shit at diagonal houses so I respect anyone who can pull them off and this might just be down to personal preference or a case of the textures of the game being limited.

Example

8 Likes

Since there isn’t a proper application for the Old Ford, I suppose I will update progress here. Old Ford is finished, and so is the surrounding farm area, which also means Cenric’s Homestead is completely finished. This being said, there is still much work to do in the vale of anduin. My next course of action will be to complete the farmland in Village 1 and Village 2, and finally then to open up application for Village 1, which needs complete redoing. Whilst this is going on if I get bored with the thousands of fucking pastures left, I will maybe do an Inn or some ranches along the road. But overall, I’m excited to say that Old Ford is completed as it has been a while since a major project has been finished with Beorning stuff.

9 Likes

You are awesome!

4 Likes

@MicahVanderman sorry to piss on the parade here but I’ve just checked Old Ford and there’s still some things left to do.

This here is quite obviously unfinished and I’m surprised you didn’t see it yourself tbh

Second thing is this area here. I feel like the wooden palisade is far too high and could do with being dropped 3 or 4 blocks. The area next to the stream is also pretty sub par. It would be waterlogged and muddy at the edge of the stream and at least needs some vegetation added to make it a bit more interesting.

Other than that it looks all good.

1 Like

If you guys don’t mind i’ll add the palisade that is still missing south of the castle.

3 Likes

All good, I’m surprised I’ve not noticed that myself. I will be on soon to fix these problems, thank you for pointing this out to me. I was really focused on the farmland and I forgot to even think about the rest, might’ve just assumed it was more finished. In any case, I will of course fix these as soon as I can. Thanks again

5 Likes

I heard that beorn’s homestead lies off the current map. So I thought, are there any other villages or homesteads off the current map? If yes, will this project be on hold till then?

I think the rest should be part of a different project in the future.

4 Likes

Yeah that map section would be years from now anyways, no sense putting it on hold, once the current section is finished we’ll call this project finished.

3 Likes

After a torturous last few months, I am delighted to call this project complete.

The lion’s share of the credit must go to @MicahVanderman, who shepherded this project through many long months whilst the attention of the server was constantly elsewhere. Though you burned out before the end, I cannot blame you. Fantastic work.

Credit must also go to the leaders of the various settlements and homesteads - @eag_inc, @iNamelessi, @Whickery_Dickens, @Chevy_the_cat, and @Natanyagrad. Great work guys. Hopefully I didn’t miss anyone.

Special thanks to @iNamelessi for seeing the project through to the end.

Oh and thanks @Glov for doing some concepts I guess.

This project will be properly completed - with Carrock and Beorn’s homestead - when that map section is added in the distant future. But for now, I declare it complete. Agorel vae!

20 Likes