Westemnet Homestead 3

Player name(s) : TedTomstone

Player rank : Builder

Private or Public : Private

Location name : WEH3

Lore : The plains of Rohan west of the river Entwash; borders the Fangorn forest on the north. Lands north of the Folde described as “a grey-green sea” of “endless miles of grass” containing “hidden pools and broad acres of sedge waving above wet and treacherous bogs.”

… a little while [after leaving Fangorn] he turned suddenly, and choosing a place where the banks were lower, he waded the [Entwash], and then led them away due south into a flat land, treeless and wide. The wind went like grey waves through the endless miles of grass. There was no sign of road or track…

‘He is steering a straight course now for the halls of Théoden under the slopes of the White Mountains,’ said Gandalf. ‘It will be quicker so. The ground is firmer in the Eastemnet, where the chief northward track lies, across the river, but Shadowfax knows the way through every fen and hollow.’

For many hours they rode on through the meads and riverlands. Often the grass was so high that it reached above the knees of the riders, and their steeds seemed to be swimming in a grey-green sea. They came upon many hidden pools, and broad acres of sedge waving above wet and treacherous bogs; but Shadowfax found the way … Looking out over the great plain, far away the riders saw [the sun] … sinking into the grass. Low upon the edge of sight shoulders of the mountains glinted red upon either side. …

‘There lies the Gap of Rohan,’ said Gandalf. ‘It is now almost due west of us. That way lies Isengard.’

The Two Towers , LoTR Book 3, Ch 5, The White Rider

‘Come now!’ said Éomer. 'The Heir of Elendil would be a strength indeed to the Sons of Eorl in this evil tide. There is battle even now upon the Westemnet, and I fear that it may go ill for us.

The Two Towers , LoTR Book 3, Ch 2, The Riders of Rohan

Overhead plan :

The industry of the homestead is based around the harvesting of rushes, and the making of products such as floor coverings, baskets, candles, footwear and chairs. Building 5 will be a small stilted storage building housing boats and tools for harvesting. The workers would take the boats downstream, cut the rush, batch them and bring them back on the boats, then leave them to dry outside in building 7 under cover 3/4 days before moving them into the barn, building 8. Harvesting is done in the summer, so there will be lots of drying rush in the barn waiting to be turned into products. There will be a small 2 high wattle/bush ringing the non-river side of the homestead to keep out animals. The buildings will all utilise the use of wattle as it is a rush-based product. Buildings 4 & 5 will be stilt houses. 1, 3, & 6 will be turf houses. Houses 2 & 8 will be longhouses made from clay and wattle. All houses in Wev2 are examples of the styles that will be used.

Reference Imagery :

In Game Guide:
Boats

Reference (Links used):
https://www.dorsetlife.co.uk/2007/11/rushing-on-the-river-stour/

http://www.rushmatters.co.uk/rush/harvesting/1/
https://www.culture24.org.uk/history-and-heritage/archaeology/art14163

9 Likes

Nice Project in general I only have my questions with the boat concepts. they look very bulky and are 3 blocks wide while ur irl reference look about 1 meter wide maybe less. Maybe replace the stairs u have on the side now with trapdoors and make the boat narrow like 1 block wide with trapdoors on the side. im pretty sure we have those kinda desings made for lossoth.

1 Like

Looks good to me! Well researched and a good layout. How many people will it be housing? And what are your thoughts @matthewvp? Go ahead from me but need another overseer or Matt

2 Likes

Looks good to me, but lets see what @matthewvp thinks.

1 Like

Agree with the boats, have made them narrower, i have used slabs as well cos i think it looks better than just trapdoors in the middle. But that can be changed.

2 Likes

Also Matt said that the homestead will house 20, 5 per house

This is excellent! Though, I do agree with Pop that the boat designs are a bit bulky, I am very pleased with the research that you have put into planning this project. I very much approve. :white_check_mark:

2 Likes

Cool cool thanks, I’ll get started :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don`t really understand why there are two houses built into a swamp.
Why should people build a house into a swam? I think that they would build the houses a few meters next to the swamp, because it would be much easier to build.

1 Like

You make a valid point, but it can still have a few stilt houses. I think generally it can make a village slightly more defensive, because you don’t need a fully enclosed perimeter.

That might not be the case for this homestead though. Regardless, adding the stilt houses makes the map just a bit more immersive, and gives the westemnet its own identity

3 Likes

Yes I agree, the stilted houses are more for aesthetics in all honesty, the hut that is for storage is closer to the stream so maybe makes more sense. The house can be easily moved if needs be or can maybe be half on land half on stilts? I was thinking in places of making a wooden border onto the flood plane which could suit that kind of style.

Is this done?

Given this a look over, and it looks good. Nice work @TedTomstone