Vilges-Bakti (Lossoth Village)

Thread title: Project Application: Lossoth5

Player name(s): Kemce

Player rank: Oversser

Location name: Lossoth5

Lore: There is not much relevant lore for the lossoth people. But we know it is a quiet peaceful group of men living around the ice-bay of forochel. I think we have the Sami people in mind for real life reference and native americans.

Tolkien Gateway:
They had a culture well adapted to their icy existence, constructing houses in the snow (possibly similar to igloos), and travelling on sleds and bone skates. Despite this comfortable existence, the Lossoth had a very primitive culture. They were afraid of the weapons that Arvedui and his men had, and could not understand sailing boats.

An isolated and unfriendly people, they must have had some limited contact with other peoples of the Westlands, as they apparently knew some Westron.

Overhead plan:

Orange: Some round stone houses and a few ā€œdirt housesā€.
Green: Outpost for hunters.
Lime: A small path to the other villages. Mostly made out of grassy dirt.
Blue: Shamanā€™s house

The people in the village will mostly be fishermen and hunters.

Concept(s):

All the houses is based on materials in the area. There is a lack of trees, thatā€™s why most is made of stone and dirt.

The ā€œdirt houseā€.

• Has a round shape with a pointy roof. So the smoke will go upwards.
  • The fireplace will be open and placed in the middle of the house. Most efficient to keep it warm.
  • Basic interior blocks, nothing fancy.
  • Thatch beds for the kids.
  • A lot of animal skins.

The ā€œstone houseā€.

• Similar to dirt house, just a bit larger and stronger materials.
  • Roof is more flat and is made out of grass.

Reference Imagery:

Looks like they are very proud of their houses.

6 Likes

Looks great, accepted!

1 Like

Sorry Iā€™m late but do you think these tribes should have permanent dwellings with stone foundations? I guess it would depend on whether they are nomadic or not. If not then by all means keep the designs but if they are then their dwellings should definitely be non-permanent and look more like the photos you put up.

At any rate, it would be nice to have some variety amongst the tribes so some of the more inland (reindeer orientated) tribes could have the non-permanent settlements whilst the coastal (fishing, hunting) tribes could be more permanent; Up for discussion.

7 Likes

I agree with your points ori, but I would also add another part to consider as well. I would suggest we base the ā€˜permanenceā€™ of dwellings off of where they are in relation to where winter would hit hardest. Obviously that could be everywhere in Forochel, but itā€™s safe to assume the northernmost villages would have more reason to be camps and move about than the southernmost (also position close to rivers or lakes would also be important. This isnā€™t the same climate but in real life Native Americans living in the river valleys of the Mississipi (or really any river valley) tended to be more advanced and ā€˜civilizedā€™ (to the Europeans) with permanant huts than the ones farther away from river valleys. I donā€™t know, just a few thoughts. I think kemā€™s placement is fine since itā€™s somewhat in the middle.

2 Likes

Alright, hmm. I think it makes most sense if at least every village close to the sea is permanent. That makes Lossoth 3 the only one who is not permanent. I donā€™t get why they would move around. A group of people living so much in their own world would change their living locations after hunting for reindeers? Honestly I think there are plenty of reindeers all over forochel. I have made a few shelters in the area near by where hunters could stay for a day or two while hunting.

About cold winters, people have been living on Svalbard for some time as well. I donā€™t think thatā€™s a reason they would move south.

My idea on how we can ā€œseparateā€ or have differences between the lossoth villages. Lossoth 3 - 7 is separated from the other villages. So they could be more similar, like lossoth 1 - 2 should have a different culture. If I understand it right, the lossoth people do not have boats, and crossing a braided river is nothing I think they do just to have a contact with the other villages.

1 Like

If they dont have boats tho, whatā€™s the point of living at the coast, they wouldnā€™t be fishermen then.

I guess they have small fishing boats, but you can cross the icebay with that.

1 Like

Inuit walk / sled on the ice to hunt when water is frozen over. But when it starts to melt in spring and summer, from what iā€™ve read, theyā€™d use small kayaks like in the pictures below to get around and to hunt whales, seals, etc.

4 Likes

So if they leave the stone foundations when they move on to somewhere else, shouldnā€™t there be some of those bare foundations somewhere?

Stone ones should be more permanent i think.

Done and thanks to everyone who helped. We named it Vilges-Bakti, it means white cliff.

7 Likes