Tolkien Art

Art made by Tolkien himself or by other artists depicting locations in Middle-earth. Extra points if they look different to the films.

A few to start the thread off:

Helm’s Deep

Lake-town

The Forsaken Inn

Rivendell

Dale

Galadriel’s flet

Sketch I did of Rivendell and Arwen on a whiteboard

A concept of Forlond’s palace drawn by @wheellee

My version of Tolkien’s Rivendell (Painting & Sketch)

Elven bell-tower design (perhaps for Rivendell/village in forlond?)

The paper was ruined so I can’t really continue it past that unfortunately.

It’s currently 3:00am as I am posting, haven’t gotten any sleep but I decided to make a digital painting. Was listening to the audio-book for Fellowship when I started working on it, and I think it shows. It’s 128x128 originally because I was working on cobble textures but decided to use the textures in this painting.

Lots of cool stuff in here

Laketown by the books. Some of you may have seen this before but I thought I’d put a painting I worked on here.

Painting of Gollum i recently made.

And he descended upon Arda in power and majesty greater than any other of the Valar, as a mountain that wades in the sea and has its head above the clouds and is clad in ice and crowned with smoke and fire; and the light of the eyes of Melkor was like a flame that withers with heat and pierces with a deadly cold.

Don’t know if this counts, but this guy went around NZ getting people to dress up as Gandalf for his pictures.

“Faramir at Osgiliath”

Have any of you read this book?

I think it’s a fantastic resource. It’s helped me a lot in my projects.

Well it’s innacurate I hear - that’s why we aren’t building the Orocani mountains or some other things in the east or south based on the AoME

Yeah, shame Tolkien didnt make a map of the entire world.

Right; there are some interesting diagrams concerning climate, vegetation, landforms etc. that might help the people in charge of worldpainting, though.

Yea well there are some small mistakes, but they got covered in the revised edition. It’s really useful as a reader’s companion too.

Rivendell by Ted Nasmith