The Shire

Forty leagues it stretched from the Far Downs to the Brandywine Bridge, and fifty from the northern moors to the marshes in the south. The Hobbits named it the Shire, as the region of the authority of their Thain, and a district of well-ordered business; and there in that pleasant comer of the world they plied their well-ordered business of living, and they heeded less and less the world outside where dark things moved, until they came to think that peace and plenty were the rule in Middle-earth and the right of all sensible folk.

Resources:

Lore/historical inspiration document. If you would like to contribute to this (most of the lore sections are empty) please send me a PM with your email and I’ll add you to the list of editors.

Farming document. This details how to properly create farms in the Shire.

Large overview map with the four Farthings marked (open in new tab to zoom):

Introduction and Topics for Discussion:

This is the official planning and discussion thread for the Shire. So far, I have planned out all of the villages and most of the farms within WorldPainter itself, though a few things remain to be planned:

• The land each farmer owns around his farmhouse (if anyone wants to do that and post an updated version of the map on this thread, it would be very useful, though do keep in mind that people living in the villages themselves would farm the land around their village, i.e. not all fields in the Shire are owned by farmers living in isolated farmhouses).

• The professions and trades in each village. I think it would be prudent to work that out here rather than each individual project leader deciding (as I wouldn’t want an abundance of blacksmiths but then almost no shoemakers or something). I’d like every profession in the lore document to be represented at least once in the Shire, though some will be of course more common than others. Keep in mind that around 80% of the population would have been engaged in farming.

Location List:

Here is a full list of villages, terrain features, farms and miscellaneous locations within the Shire. All of these should be applied for in the Projects section.

Villages:

Hobbiton

Bywater

Overhill

Scary

Pincup

Budgeford

Dwaling

Gamwich

Hardbottle

Long Cleeve

Frogmorton