Nogrod

The ‘cracks’ idea is great, but I have to check with Soluna first to make sure it’s possible.

2 Likes

Yeah you just added the geological side of things to this. :stuck_out_tongue:

War of Wrath isn’t entirely naturo-geological, though. Some powerful powers (yeah, that sounds strange :stuck_out_tongue: ) at work, here :wink: .

1 Like

what i might do is colapse one or two pillars in the hall and have the stone directly above it collapse in a big spill of broken rock fragments, it would show the damage but the grandeur would still be visible in the rest of the hall.

1 Like

Going to have to rain on everyone’s parade here.

There are several key things we know about both Nogrod and Belegost:

• They were ruined badly enough that a race who were incredibly attached to their ancestral homes and able to carve gigantic halls and underground cities from solid rock decided it would be best to abandon them.

• They were mostly built in schist (according to our interpretation). Schist tends to be fairly unstable.

• They were destroyed by an event - natural or not - that sunk a good chunk of a continent. That amount of destruction is on the level of Yellowstone or Chicxulub.

• Their remains haven’t been touched for 6000 years. Quote Soluna: “Stuff in mountains, that is built to be supported, and not maintained, will be gone relatively quickly. Nature tends to take back stuff much faster than you think.”

Here is an ideal example of underground architecture that has survived:

It was in a dry climate, didn’t suffer any major geological events, was in use up until the 20th century, and still had to be excavated.

Soluna’s summary:

In the interest of a ‘call-back’ to the First Age, I’m happy to keep the heavily ruined gate and corridor we have currently. However, we shoot for realism as much as we can, and in this case the facts are not in our favour. As a result, @blocks119, I will approve this application as long as all you do is remove the corridor leading off from the central hall which currently exists. The project should take less than a day to complete.

4 Likes

shame
i agree that the amount of damage too the city would make it almost unrecognisable and i guess i cant disagree however just wondering, earlier on you said nogrod was a big step up from minthaun, why is removing a corridor such a big step up?

I said that before I’d spoken with Soluna about the situation, when I thought it was going to be a big project.

ok, well i guess ill just do that then …

i guess ill wait till something else comes up to do .

thanks anyway and thanks for explaining why .

-blocks

Thorins Halls are intact.

1 Like

yes but that would be an even bigger step up for me than to nogrod how i planned it, ill think about it and come up with some new concepts.

I’ll be happy to take up the work on Nogrod if my computer can withstand being online for a bit. I had already started it, I’ll just fill in that corridor and add a few details. I appreciate blocks’ enthusiasm though. Blocks, if you’d like to work with me on some Moria concepts some time–I’m sure we’ll have good fun. :slight_smile:

i just filled in the corridor but feel free to add details.

also ill take you up on the moria concepts some time.

Sad, but I suppose that it must ten be discarded :frowning: .

Could you ask him how does that work for natural caves, though? There’s not a river in every part of every one of them …

Natural caves tend to be limestone.

3 Likes