Moria Inspiration and Concepts

I’ve opened up a section of the Freebuild world for building concepts for Moria. The layout is nearing completion, before being revised that is, and I thought it would be nice to get a jump start on building some things for the upcoming project. Not all blocks are created yet that could be used, so if you think of anything that needs to be made, that would be great as well.

/warp fbmoriaconcepts

Layout (current): /warp fbmoria

Inspiration:

6 Likes

7 Likes

I think our version needs a lil rework…

3 Likes

Voxel works are planned

1 Like

Honestly the movie one is pretty spot-on, if you ignore the weird bridge thing they did (they originally intended it to be like the bridge of the old elven road from Moria to Ost-In-Edhil, but it’s just weirdly placed and northern winding path has that same purpose in the books (which we also don’t really have right now, at least not properly, due to the terrain).

3 Likes

Just came across this old book (some kind of RP supplement), has tons of detail on Moria, and on the Dwarves themselves. Not sure how much of it is lore-friendly, but theres a lot in here that I feel could be useful, or at least could provide some inspiration for this project.

Moria -The Dwarven City

4 Likes

9 Likes

Guan told me to make a Moria wishlist, so here it is:

-Royal Tombs being in the heart of the mountain, similar to Thorins.
-Secret passages and doors, hidden for players unless they know the secret passwords and places. We could then hide the passwords on different locations and give a prize for the one who finds them all.
-Places where the dwarves let the crystals and stones grow, maybe artifically directing water streams or such to make it go faster.
-Dark watery caves where slimy things lurk.
-Fishing areas, since we know fishes inhabited the waters, and even the goblins fished there.
-Dwarven theatre.

6 Likes

You could maybe take some inspiration from the movie for a few elements of the build.

Also what if you built the balrog, somehow in there. That would be really cool

Would the Lamps of the dwarves have been some version of http://www.thetolkienwiki.org/wiki.cgi?F�anorian__Lamps

There seems to be one in Lothlorien, which may support the idea that the Dwarves had lesser versions of the ones of Feanor.

2 Likes

Maybe ? Given the fact that the noldor elves of Eregion helped beautify Moria, that would make sense especially since there is no mention of crystal lamps in any other dwarven settlement. But the line about the lost knowledge after Fëanor’s death makes me feel perplexed.

1 Like

The door of a church in the Cotswolds that was the inspiration for the west-gate

7 Likes

Made a little imgur album of cave inspo. Explanations are captioned under each picture

10 Likes

Balin’s Tomb

1 Like

Church in Tulsa, Oklahoma

6 Likes