Mordor Inspiration and Concepts

ef502db328dfe29944f001aba21d040a--san-marino-torres

1 Like

6 Likes

Just click the image and it’ll auto rotate, it’s Minas Morgul again.

11 Likes

Would love for Orcs to live in similar pulmice/rhyolitic rock cave dwellings along in Mordor, but I know that Mt. Doom being a giant cone volcano means it would probably be an Andesite structure. Thoughts?

6 Likes

6 Likes

As you will likely be aware of, many servers build ruins by building an intact version first and then erode the structure in a way the elements would have. I have first seen this at WesterosCraft’s Harrenhall a few years ago but I wouldn’t be surprised if they got the idea from somewhere else. What do you think of applying this organic building style to Minas Morghul? As in building it as a sprawling Gondorian city first, then apply erosion for the ~400 years of decline after the Great Plague of 1636 and the 2 year siege. And then update it by repairing and extending it orc-style.

We’ll more likely build it like we did Forlond, if it’s meant to be fully ruined, we won’t bother with building it up first. Minas Morgul is probably not even that ruined, it’s just turned evil afaik.

8 Likes

beautiful :heart_eyes:

possible for Sauron to build this?

4 Likes

Cadini di Misuria, Italy

11 Likes

I like the ornateness of this one, it matches the drawing tolkien did of parts of Barad Dur quite well, honestly i’d like Barad dur to be built in many sections and ages, one perhaps for the dwelling of men, more ornate than the rather Brutalist parts that the armouries and Orcs are housed in.

3 Likes

This type of stuff is also great, really gives off that grim, dark and grand feeling.

2 Likes

Gate to Sauron’s hall? Drawing by Tolkien.

Barad DUr 2 Barad Dur
Two depictions of Barad Dur, very interesting

Gate of MM Kirith Ungol KU roof Minas Morgul

The Gate of Minas Morgul, the tower of Cirith Ungol, roof of Cirith Ungol, and Minas Morgul layout.

8 Likes

Minas Morgul

Fornad the loremaster

Also, that gate picture may be a representation of evil that Tolkien has, but as far as is officially known, thats part of a series of illustrations he did separate to the series, he had one called “Afterwarmness” that showed a man walking into a valley glittered with ice and wind.

6 Likes

Big boi

11 Likes

Rano Kao

6 Likes

I had no idea Tolkien drew Mt Doom
@Fornad world painter inspiration for sure

Interesting point, the top cone seems quite different from the rest of the rock

5 Likes

Some more inspiration for design and style for Barad-dur: Minarets!
This one is the Minaret in Eger, Hungary.

5 Likes

Might bitumen have been produced by the sea of Helcar, and thus appear naturally in Mordor?