Landscaper+ Application: MusicalGeek22

Player name : MusicalGeek22

How did you find out about us? : The Conquest Reforged website and a friend

How old are you? : 15 (almost 16)

Where are you from? : Vermont, USA

Are you in our Discord? Do you understand that you must have Discord running at all times when at your computer, and that you must check the forums every few days? : Yes to all 3

Why do you want to help with this project? : I’m a huge geek and D&D player, so I love LotR. I enjoy planning and creating complex scenes and builds in Minecraft, and have been fascinated by natural landscapes and topology since I was little. I am not the most experienced at it, but I have a ton of creativity and whenever I put my mind to learning something, I don’t give up.

Which Tolkien-related works have you read, seen or listened to? :

• Read The Hobbit , The Lord of the Rings , The Silmarillion , Unfinished Tales , etc.
  • Watched all the movies

Portfolio : https://imgur.com/a/CJE97aa

Scene 1 : Champlain Thrust Fault
I chose to model the Champlain Thrust Fault, a natural feature that I know quite well. The fault was formed when shale formed below preexisting dolomite, during the formation of the Adirondack Mountains in New York. This boundary was exposed over time, and since shale is much softer than dolomite, it was eventually weathered away to form the overhanging dolomite that is iconic of this type of fault. Of course, over time, parts of the dolomite fell off the overhang to land in the water. Due to the amount of shale that comes loose from the wall, it is a very rocky beach. However, when you go a little offshore, the lake floor is sandier.

I populated the build with plants and animals that are all very commonly found in this area. The fault is near a coniferous forest, whose Norway spruces and smaller pines I created, but since it isn’t very thick of a forest, I added some undergrowth. For the undergrowth, I used species of plants that are found in Vermont that grow in rocky, acidic soil that I have seen. I included maidenhair ferns and ladyferns, which grow in my area; ivory sedge in the rockier areas because it tolerates acidity but grows on rock outcroppings, bearberry and lingonberry, fruiting plants that are fairly common in Vermont’s forests, and sphagnum moss, another common plant in VT.

Scene 2 : Alpine Meadow
I created an European alpine wet meadow. The plants that populate this meadow are alpine sow-thistle, alpine clematis, small scabious, timothy-grass, wildflowers, sedge, meadow fescue, buttercups, lichen, alpine bearberry, rock rose, and sphagnum moss. These are all found in alpine meadows and the surrounding rocky outcroppings near them in the Alps.

Scene 3 : Saltmarsh
I created a saltmarsh that you might find along the Mid-Atlantic coast. Shown is the confluence of two rivulets forming a tidal creek that goes through a mud flat and a small marsh hammock with an oak tree, some coastal ox-eye, and some small holly bushes. I used reeds and other grass-like plants as according to the ArdaCraft Nature Database document, using green sedge, common reeds, sweetgrass, and cattails.

Plot ID : -36:19

Are there any types of landscapes you are particularly interested in building? For example, coasts, forests, mountains, etc. : I would like to work on coasts, wetlands, rivers, canyons, and pretty much anything to do with water; but I’m up for anything.

Other relevant skills : Texturing, basic WorldEdit, building

10 Likes

Alright, accepted. This is a good start, and you evidently have some good basis in researching too.
Given that this is an intermediate rank, for the moment while you get to know the community you’ll mainly be doing tasks from this document. I would recommend doing the area by Lond Daer moving eastward up the area around the Greyflood, for simplicity.

I’ll have something more substantial/important for the server for you to help with (namely research among other things which DO have something to do with water, actually!) next week, likely on Wednesday. I’ll try and work with you then. For details, my username on discord is Rotoid#6336 . I’m pretty much available at all times but am also quite busy, but I should get back to you in the day of ping. Very excited to work with you.
4 Likes

Musical is currently on a break from AC until the end of May, which is why he hasn’t updated his application

2 Likes