Landscaper+ Application: AncientSkies

Player name: AncientSkies

How did you find out about us?: Instagram

How old are you?: 24

Where are you from?: Colorado, USA

Are you in our Discord? Do you understand that you must have Discord running at all times when at your computer, and that you must check the forums every few days?: Yes!

Why do you want to help with this project?: I have been following the progress of ArdaCraft online for about a year now and have fallen in love with the project. What the community of the server is trying to accomplish is nothing short of a massive art project and being an artist myself I would love to contribute where I can to make this monument complete. I love Minecraft, Tolkien’s works, nature, and immersion so I find that ArdaCraft is a way to get all of these in one place.

Which Tolkien-related works have you read, seen or listened to?: I have read the Hobbit as well as the Lord of the Rings Trilogy and their respective movie series and audiobooks. However my personal favorite work by Tolkien would be Farmer Giles of Ham, though unrelated to Middle Earth.

Portfolio: These are all tree-based builds with scenes that reflect their natural habitat. All of these were based from reference photos.

Scene 1: English Oak
https://imgur.com/a/MujofHS
Scene 2: Silver Fir
https://imgur.com/a/bZMqO1D

Scene 3: Common Juniper
https://imgur.com/a/E9EOZZ7

Scene 1: This build is of a relatively large English Oak standing alone in a meadow. Surrounding the oak are several species of grasses, clovers, shrubs, and wildflowers found in Europe. Set just beneath the tree is a small runestone.
Scene 2: This scene is of a mid-sized Silver Fir surrounded by ferns and shrubs that can be found in Europe’s coastal temperate forests.
Scene 3: This is a collection of multiple Common Juniper individuals each set in a dry mountainous grassland. Junipers, especially lone individuals, often take some twisted and unusual growth patters in nature. Here I attempted to replicate some of the unique forms of this tree. This includes low growth, overgrowth, split trunks, twisted trunks, deadwood, and foliage disease.

Plot ID: Singleplayer, as instructed.

Are there any types of landscapes you are particuarly interested in building? For example, coasts, forests, mountains, etc.: Though all environments would be great fun to build in, I am particular to grasslands, meadows, temperate rainforests, tundra, and high altitude forests. I am a botanist in life and these are my main areas of study. I am best at building natural looking foliage for a landscape but I have no issues working on rocks, rivers, or caves. Of course, I still have much to learn.

Other relevant skills: Texturing, some minor modding, building with Conquest, and in life I do fantasy illustration.

I would like to say that I am still relatively new to building some of the things presented here in this application. Given the chance I would love to hone my skills and learn from the other Landscapers on the server to help bring whatever I can to the table. Thank you!

5 Likes

I’ve worked with you a bit through Discord and your attitude and interest is extremely encouraging, alongside some quite interesting trees and a marked improvement since you started, I am happy to promote you to apprentice so you can work in game with us!

Landscaper is a bit more of a niche role and the timeframe of apprenticeship may be longer than a normal builder application. I hope you are along for the ride!

Being a Landscaper apprentice means you are a part of the project, but not a full Landscaper yet. You have this rank so you can improve. We have high standards and a focus on realism which means that there are things for you to learn. Your duties as an apprentice should give you good grounding to become a Landscaper+, and you will begin your first lot of on-server building work assisting Landscapers on their builds. This will allow you to obtain the experience needed to lead on your own when you feel you are ready.

If you are looking for something to help out with, you can type ‘/warp jobs’ or look on the Projects section of our forums. This is where you can find all open jobs like building houses or something similar. You will be provided with instructions on how to get to these projects, and what to build once you get there. Thirdly, do not be afraid to ask members for help and get to know us. This is a community project and it’s important to be part of the community!

When building as an Apprentice, you are only permitted to build on one building at a time, and to post each build on your thread with the closest warp or the co-ordinates. This not only provides you with good practice for your time as a Landscaper, but also allows project leaders to get a good and clear idea of what your building abilities are. This will allow us to give you better feedback, and prevent any unnecessary problems. Keep in mind that you are only allowed to work on something if you have permission from a project leader via an open plot or their express permission. Finally, as an Apprentice you must always listen to project leaders when they give you feedback, criticisms, and tasks. Ask them if you are unsure of what to build, or how to build it. You have this rank to learn!

3 Likes

I am honored and ready to learn, thank you for the quick response! I am looking forward to this being a long term thing.

3 Likes