Isengard

Player name(s): The Three Muttsketeers (Lindalher, daktubalan, Hearthseeker)

Player rank: Overseer, Builder + x2

Private or Public: Public

Location name: Isengard

Lore: Built by the Men of Númenor in the Second Age, Isengard served as a critical defense point for the vulnerable Gap of Rohan. It also housed one of the seven Palantiri (Seeing-Stones).
In TA 2759, Isengard was entrusted to Saruman. By the time of the server, he would have begun to secretly alter Isengard according to his plan for world domination and all that fun stuff.

“This was its fashion, while Saruman was at his height, accounted by many the chief of Wizards. A great ring-wall of stone, like towering cliffs, stood out from the shelter of the mountain-side, from which it ran and then returned again. One entrance only was there made in it, a great arch delved in the southern wall. Here through the black rock a long tunnel had been hewn, closed at either end with mighty doors of iron. They were so wrought and poised upon their huge hinges, posts of steel driven into the living stone, that when unbarred they could be moved with a light thrust of the arms, noiselessly. One who passed in and came at length out of the echoing tunnel, beheld a plain, a great circle, somewhat hollowed like a vast shallow bowl: a mile it measured from rim to rim. Once it had been green and filled with avenues, and groves of fruitful trees, watered by streams that flowed from the mountains to a lake…
There stood a tower of marvellous shape. It was fashioned by the builders of old, who smoothed the Ring of Isengard, and yet it seemed a thing not made by the craft of Men, but riven from the bones of the earth in the ancient torment of the hills. A peak and isle of rock it was, black and gleaming hard: four mighty piers of many-sided stone were welded into one, but near the summit they opened into gaping horns. their pinnacles sharp as the points of spears, keen-edged as knives. Between them was a narrow space, and there upon a floor of polished stone, written with strange signs, a man might stand five hundred feet above the plain. This was Orthanc…” -The Two Towers

Overhead plan:

Yellow = farms and pastures
Orange = houses
Blue = mine
Gray = earth wall/dike

The scribbly bit inside the ring will be forest, and the clear area inside of that will be a garden/park (flowerbeds, wide lawns, hedges, groves of fruit trees)
There will also be smokestacks and entrances to the forges hidden throughout.

In-game guide: The most efficient method would be to begin with a limited group of builders and get the basic shape Orthanc and the wall, and to plan out the gardens, the caverns and the farms.

At some point we will hold a build day, divided into teams like Benzathoth had for Helm’s Deep:

• Orthanc: Detail work on the outside of the tower.
  • Wall: Towers under construction. Housing, storage and public areas for Saruman’s army.
  • Interior: Forest and garden detail. Interiors on the caverns below.
  • Exterior: Farms, additional details along the great road.

Document containing all visual and logistical data: Isengard - Google Docs

Terrain: We will shape the circle of Isengard into a bowl shape. The only other terrain alteration will be voxel work on the tower and the wall.

Reference Imagery:

Tolkien’s own drawing

Note: refer to the pits, not the tower (obviously).

Two sketches by Wheellee. Concept for fortifications along the wall. Also a nearly ideal shape for Orthanc in the second image.

11 Likes

Will the wall be joined to the mountainside like in the book description?

1 Like

I don’t know that the book really is describing that. It says the wall ‘stood out’ from the mountainside, which to me implies that it was distinct from the mountainside itself rather than joined into it.

“stood out from the shelter of the mountain-side, from which it ran and then returned again.”

This, in my mind that, is saying that the wall is part of the “mountain-side” in some areas and then it “stands out” and separates from the mountain to form its own wall until it “return[s] again” to become part of the mountain.

“the mountain-side, from which it ran and then returned again” is the key part here that proves that it joins the mountain, unless you can think of a different meaning.

Red: joined to mountain

Obviously this will take a fair bit of voxelling but I feel like the whole upper valley area will need it anyway to make the flooding actually feasible (which atm it isnt).

4 Likes

This is exactly what it should be! That’s what I was getting at

I think it can be carved out from the mountainside, but what I don’t want is the wall to just go straight into the cliff a la movie Helm’s Deep, because it would be a defensive weak point. What I think Tolkien meant to clarify with that quote is that the walls were right next to the mountainside, rather than the ring being in the middle of the valley (as you might otherwise picture it). When you say something “stands out” from something else, it is to say that it is distinct from it.

I see it as a cliff that runs down to the the base of the wall.

As for the flooding, that happened because the Ents channeled all the water from the river into the circle (instead of breaking a massive dam like in the films).

2 Likes

I can see what Ori and Ark are saying. But I can run a pavement away from a building and back around to the building without the pavement meeting the building’s side. The fault could be in us taking a poetic way of further identifying its circular nature too literally. If it was a perfect circle then of course you could follow the wall starting at the side of the mountain back around to the very side of the mountain where you started. I think Tolkien is being descriptive here, but redundantly so.

1 Like

If the tower actually ends up looking like whe’s drawing I will climax.

3 Likes

You could have Isengard on top of an impact crater. That’s one way to explain a sudden circular rock formation. Maybe have some/most of the crater walls eroded away and replaced by an artificial wall. This would go nicely with the bowl-like shape of the inner area, as well as hinting to the origin of the strange black stones. Or maybe have the crater “touch” the surrounding mountainside.
Just from the top of my head, I am neither a geologist nor an avid Tolkien reader. Great server you have there by the way, most impressive.

1 Like

Approved. Good luck!

1 Like

11 Likes

“After they had ridden for some miles, the highway became a wide street, paved with great flat stones, squared and laid with skill; no blade of grass was seen in any joint.”

Not sure if this is a placeholder but the block you’ve used definitely doesn’t fit the description. This website is great for some descriptions:

http://www.henneth-annun.net/places_view.cfm?PLID=455
http://www.henneth-annun.net/places_view.cfm?PLID=86

2 Likes

Yes, it’ll be replaced in time.

2 Likes

Left some wool on top of the wall to show how you could build the top - if you mark the ridgelines you can just build down from them.

3 Likes

Alright, @Daktubalan and I have determined it’s time for this project to go public. For now we are focusing on the valley around Isengard:

1. Farms/farmhouses (complete)
  2. Dunlending villages (complete)
  3. Coppices (complete)
  4. Watermill (complete)
  5. Mine (complete)
  6. Lumber camps on the edge of Fangorn (complete)

Any of these mini projects is open for application. Just post your application in this thread.

Some Things to Keep in Mind:
Isengard is obviously much more advanced than Rohan, the most extreme example of this being the 1800s-era technology we will feature in the underground forges. At this point, I’m open to discussion about anything along this continuum. That being said, it still must be credible within the context of the world as a whole.

As for actual style, I would like there to be some visible resemblance to Rohan and (to an extent) the Beornings. However, the deforestation of Fangorn will be done by Orcs. Be sure to show this in your concepts.

Feel free to message Dak or me if you want to apply or if you have any questions.

15 Likes

@matthewvp has volunteered to lead the first Dunlending village, located in a small valley on the east side of Nan Curunir. image
Inspiration

Layout

The actual ingame concept is currently floating above the valley.

11 Likes

We are now starting a second Dunlending village in the Nan Curunir. This one is quite a bit larger that the first, so we’ll need all the help we can get. The warp is DV1, and @matthewvp has graciously made a guide. You can also refer to the model village he made east of the Ring.

8 Likes

After a very productive build day, the Dunlending village is now complete! Thanks to everyone who helped out, and congratulations to @matthewvp on a successful first project. @Daktubalan and I will keep you informed as we finish off the rest of the valley and move into the Ring of Isengard itself.

11 Likes

@Hearthseeker is now co-leading this project with Dak and me

5 Likes

At long last, the Ring of Isengard is now open to the public! The areas to claim are as follows:

• Stables
  • Armory
  • Smithy
  • Glassblower
  • Leatherworker (no tannery in the fortress itself)
  • Winery
  • Cooper
  • Carpenter
  • Painter
  • Cobbler
  • Tailor
  • Weaver
  • Candlemaker
  • Potter
  • Ropemaker
  • Infirmary
  • Barber
  • Mess Hall
  • Kitchen
  • Main Food Storage
  • Bath House

There’s a guide for block usage, as well as an ingame list of items to be claimed, at /warp Isengard. My biggest concern is to keep the style from looking too Dwarven. That being said, the same general rules for making a Dwarven build apply here: make sure the ceiling is domed and that the walls are supported with columns. In larger, more richly decorated areas, you can include Byzantine lines in polished andesite. Examples of this style can be seen at the mess hall, the barracks, the prison, and the guard room just inside the gate.

As for technology, do some research on those professions in ancient Roman/Byzantine times, but you have some liberty to include more modern conventions (up to mid-1800s, no further). I hope this will prove to be a fun and unique building experience for everyone, and a little taste of what awaits us in Gondor.

8 Likes