Fangorn Treebuild

Player name(s): Lindalher

Player rank: Builder +

Private or Public: Public

Location name: Fangorn (forest in northern Rohan)

Lore: ‘…It is old,’ said Aragorn, ‘as old as the forest by the Barrow-downs, and it is far greater. Elrond says that the two are akin, the last strongholds of the mighty woods of the Elder Days, in which the Firstborn roamed while Men still slept. Yet Fangorn holds some secret of its own. What it is I do not know.’

‘Yes, it is all very dim, and stuffy, in here,’ said Pippin. ‘It reminds me, somehow, of the old room in the Great Place of the Tooks away back in the Smials at Tuckborough: a huge place, where the furniture has never been moved or changed for generations… But that is nothing to the old feeling of this wood. Look at all those weeping, trailing, beards and whiskers of lichen! And most of the trees seem to be half covered with ragged dry leaves that have never fallen. Untidy. I can’t imagine what spring would look like here, if it ever comes; still less a spring-cleaning.’
‘But the Sun at any rate must peep in sometimes.’ said Merry. ‘It does not look or feel at all like Bilbo’s description of Mirkwood. That was all dark and black, and the home of dark black things. This is just dim, and frightfully tree-ish. You can’t imagine animals living here at all, or staying for long…’

… they came at last to what looked like an impenetrable wall of dark evergreen trees, trees of a kind that the hobbits had never seen before: they branched out right from the roots, and were densely clad in dark glossy leaves like thornless holly, and they bore many stiff upright flower-spikes with large shining olive-coloured buds.

Overhead plan: Typical tree grid with fifteen of each species:

• Oak
  • Beech
  • Ash
  • Chestnut
  • Hornbeam
  • Rowan
  • Goat Willow
  • White Willow
  • Crack Willow
  • Yew
  • Scot Pine
  • Spruce
  • Larch
  • Derndingle Evergreens

In-game guide: I will make a step-by-step process like @Neverlegendary did for his Mallorn build.

Reference Imagery:

Concepts:
Oak tree before leaves

Oak tree with leaves added

6 Likes

Could you use podzol layers on the boughs too?

Yeah, I’ll give it a shot. Those pics are just the concepts that @wheellee made.

Approved. Let people know when you’ve got the guide all done and ready.

1 Like

Regarding the guide, my suggestion is to not make it as complicated as I did.
I made it way too detailed and it backfired fairly quickly, with noone really reading it entirely. People are lazy cucks. It’s a principle.

PS. If You want some help or opinion, hit me up. It’s my cup of tea, I would say.

2 Likes

@YouJusGotSarged suggested that you copy the ancient trees from the Old Forest and paste them into the grid

7 Likes

I’d like to have a build day on Sunday, December 3rd. Preferably around 2 PM UTC.
The hope is that, with enough builders, we can actually finish the main grid.

5 Likes

Is it possible to do a row of dead trees? It would certainly add some realism to a forest. ( And I swear someone better not say "well we didnt do that in the past. ) :smiley:

1 Like

Yes, I’ll make an oak variant without leaves once the main grid is finished.

3 Likes

Yesterday’s Build Day was a huge success. Thanks to everyone who participated, willingly or with a little persuasion, we now have most of the grid done, and nearly all the really difficult trees are taken care of. Please feel free to come by and build a tree or two every now and then; every little bit helps, and it might help preserve my sanity.

8 Likes

Thanks to lots of help, especially from @Ryiw, @Neverlegendary and @Chevy_the_cat, all the Fangorn trees are built!
81377EAB-E107-472C-B708-5942D28C638D

12 Likes