Eregion

Player name(s): Eaglz24

Player rank: [+]Builder

Location name: Eregion

Lore: Eregion, also known as Hollin, was a realm of the Ñoldorin elves during the Second Age, located near the West Gate of Moria. It was a rare elven kingdom, for the relations with the dwarves were cordial and both sides traded freely.

This place used to be called Eregion but was later changed to Hollin.
Eregion was, from SA 750, ruled by Galadriel and Celeborn from its capital of Ost-in-Edhil. After SA 1350, they crossed the Misty Mountains to Lothlórien, their new kingdom.

From SA 1350, the Gwaith-i-Mírdain under Celebrimbor, the last of the House of Fëanor left in Middle-earth, ruled Eregion. Annatar, the Giver of Gifts, befriended Celebrimbor and aiding him in the making of the Nine and the Seven of the Rings of Power. Celebrimbor made the Three in secret, and as such these were never touched by Annatar’s hands.

When Annatar was later revealed to be the Dark Lord Sauron, Celebrimbor and his people tried to stop the Rings from entering Sauron’s possession, but could only rescue the Three: Vilya, Narya, and Nenya. Eregion itself was attacked and destroyed in the War of the Elves and Sauron in the year SA 1697. The few survivors of the war found refuge in either Lindon or Lothlórien, while others led by Elrond founded Rivendell.

Additional information:
‘No folk dwell [in Hollin] now, but many other creatures live here at all times, especially birds.’

[They] struck a good path. It looked to Frodo like the remains of an ancient road, that had once been broad and well planned, from Hollin to the mountain-pass… Many of [the stones] looked to have been worked by hands, though now they lay tumbled and ruinous in a bleak, barren land.

“Before long Sauron had the Gwaith-i-Mírdain under his influence, for at first they had great profit from his instruction in secret matters of their craft. So great became his hold on the Mírdain that at length he persuaded them to revolt against Galadriel and Celeborn and to seize power in Eregion; and that was at some time between 1350 and 1400 of the Second Age.” - Talks about Celebrimbor and the craftsmen guild seizing power in Ost-In-Edhil

Overhead plan: https://imgur.com/a/0RmlO

In-game guide: I’ll be making one for Ost-In-Edhil when we get there.

Terrain:

• Streams
  • Warg dens
  • Tors
  • Other animal dens/nests; bird nests for example, as stated in the quotes above.

Reference Imagery: https://imgur.com/a/K4shH Includes imagery for the Tors, Ost-In-Edhil/Forts and Cliffs.

Concepts: https://imgur.com/a/fKaCU

• Ost-In-Edhil
    The overhead plan is provisional, since it’ll inevitably be slightly different in-game. However the base idea for it has been mapped, only minor details such as the space between the buildings will likely be reduced to help it flow together better.
    The concepts made for it will mainly use sandstone, as found in the area, as well as limestone for the larger structures (palace, large tower etc).

• The road between Hollin and the Mountain Pass
    As it was described, this road will be slightly visible (the only visible road I might add, as Forn said in the previous thread it would have been occasionally used, and all the others would have been long gone. It uses a few rock models for the description that the stones/rocks ‘cast a pale light in which the shadows of stones were black’.

• Warg dens
    The Warg dens will be scattered around Eregion, varying in type of location, some in tree areas, fields, dug into cliffs etc.

• Tors
    The Tors will vary in size, the concept I linked was an example of the smaller ones. I will be making some larger ones with Whe in the next day, will possibly link the results in this thread. The 5 Tors that are marked on the map haven’t changed location from Eldiars ones, and will remain the same.

• Forts
    The 4 forts will be worked on as we move southwards, names can be thought of whenever we find someone who can think of any (if any of you fookers have any name suggestions, leave em below). Conceptually, they’ll be somewhat similar to the ones in Arnor, but a bit more elven’ified, and of course will use sandstone, except for the ‘Fort 2’ that can use limestone since it’s in the close vicinity, unlike the others. Oh, and they’ll be nuked to fuck.

Plan:
To start I’ll be heading from north to south, covering all the streams, forts and tors, animal stuff one at a time as I go south. Of course the last thing we’ll be doing in Eregion will be Ost-In-Edhil, for which i’ll make the guide for it when we reach that point.

9 Likes

Looks good to me, I approve, good luck!

4 Likes

Approved.

5 Likes

After a week of progress, Eregion including Ost-In-Edhil is now complete.

Anyway, back to whatever I was doing last week.

12 Likes

5 Likes