Dunland

I feel like a cave in would be a far better option, if anything at all, how long have they had to do things here? Like 10/15 years max?

2 Likes

We at first thought the dwarves were in Dunland for about 30 years. But now we found out it’s not the case, there are 23 years between the fall of Erebor, and the War of the Dwarves and Orcs started. Since they mostly traveled, they might’ve been in Dunland for about 10-15 years i think.
Overall i think it’s better if Dunland has nothing in terms of dwarven builds, except maybe a still in-tact forge in one of the settlements where they once worked?

5 Likes

Following this proposal there’s been a discussion in the Dunland group about it. We came to the conclusion that the Dwarves would have made a settlement like this. Firstly they didn’t know how long they’d settle here, it’s likely they were aiming on retaking Moria eventually, they’d need a base of operations to do that. Also, it’s the entire surviving nobility of Erebor, that combined with the fact that Dwarves are really proud would mean that they (especially Durin’s Heirs) would not consent to living in camps or Dunland huts for an indefinite period of time, since they didn’t know how long they’d be in Dunland. However, we do think we can make it a smaller and unfinished.

On the topic of doing it later, it shouldn’t be an issue to do it now, since it’s not much by dwarven standards anyway, and it’s ruined (note that Ix and Darnok are making it unruined first). If it’d be necessary we could always quickly go over it when we have the 1.16 textures.

3 Likes

What lore is there about the Dwarves in Dunland? Other than ‘They eked out a living’.

2 Likes

Basically nothing other than that the royal family, along with “a small company of their kinsmen and faithful followers” went to Dunland for about twenty years, and presumably provided some kind of crafting services to the Dunlendings.

As Fruit has said, it seems unlikely that they lived in tents for twenty years, and in fact Thrór specifically mentions that he was “tired of the scorn of Men”, meaning that the Dunlendings presumably did not hold the Dwarves in particularly high prestige. As such it also seems unlikely that they would invite them to live among them in their hill forts.

The Dwarves - especially the line of Durin - were a proud folk, and would want to live apart from Men and on their own terms. So I think they’d carve out a small hall for themselves in Dunland to live in. Note that they actually returned to Dunland for an indeterminate period of time after the War of Dwarves and Orcs ended, before wandering in Eriador and eventually settling beyond the Lune in Thorin’s Halls.

Darnok and ix have agreed to reduce it in size, but the principle is sound.

4 Likes

How long should it be abandoned for?

100 years. They entered Dunland after Smaug took Erebor and stayed there for 20 years. Then they went to Moria where they got their asses kicked and settled in the Blue Mountains.

This isn’t correct. The War of Dwarves and Orcs ended in TA 2799. Let’s say they went back to Dunland for about 5 years and then decided to leave. That’s a gap of 202 years.

3 Likes

Alright, after less than a year I can finally call Dunland done.
Well, there’s still bogs, forests and the Isengard tribe to be done. There’s one bog that the landscapers will finish since it’s nearly done, we’ll leave the rest for now since there might be a way to do bogs in Worldpainter, same for the remaining forests, those will be done in Worldpainter as well. As for the Isengard tribe, we’ve decided we’ll come back to it after we confirmed whether or not we’ll change the misties following the possible 1.17 height limit changes.

I wanna thank everyone who helped, especially @eag_inc, @wheellee, @DarthEnigma and @Fornad for their guidance and contributions to research, @Sunwing34 for making the Dunland part of the Greenway, @creepyboy666 for soloing the North Tribe, @Lindalher for starting Dunland and his continued contributions after he stepped down and of course @Daktubalan for co-leading this project with me, it’s been a ride, but the results are amazing!

13 Likes