Builder Application: WickedNeutron: REJECTED

Player name: WickedNeutron

How did you find out about us? The Nerd Of The Rings Map Showing Stream made me notice your project.

How old are you? I’m 24 years old.

Where are you from? I’m from The Netherlands

Are you in our Discord? Do you understand that you must have Discord running at all times when at your computer and that you must check the forums every few days? I am in your Discord Server and Yes when i’m on my computer i always have the application Discord active.

Why do you want to help with this project? I needed a project, something to do… and then i came across ArdaCraft and it clicked right away with my love of The Lord Of The Rings and previous Minecraft experience which i started playing when i was around 13 years old.

Which Tolkien-related works have you read, seen, or listened to? I have seen all the movies of The Lord Of The Rings and The Hobbit (also the animated version). I have read The Hobbit but not The Lord Of The Rings.

Plot ID My plot ID is -9:-22

Are there any styles that you excel at? Any styles which you have difficulty with? I have difficulty with terrain but i’m pretty good at caves, dwarven halls, laketown, small outposts. I know this because i’ve done these kinds of projects before with some friends.

Other relevant skills I’m not entirely sure… i used to do web development, i’ve been gaming on a pc all my life, i have a good eye for detail once i’m aware of how something needs to be build and can easily spot mistakes no matter how small or insignificant they seem.

imgur link to the screenshots of the plot i have been assigned https://imgur.com/a/9yKM17x

2 Likes

Hey Wicked, I’ll be taking you on as your mentor through your application. Welcome to ArdaCraft!

I spoke with you quite a bit last night and I’m glad to see your application here. For our purposes an outside area isn’t needed, so I won’t be judging it here.

We talked a bit about your roof gradient last night, but there is still one thing that bothers me. Near the top of your roof you have placed some gray thatch, this isn’t quite right, the roof gradient should go from dark → light. Review the gradient guide at /warp GradientGuide and adjust accordingly to what you see. Also, above your roof line on the sides you have placed log/staves -I would recommend wattle here instead, as it matches on-map builds quite a bit better.

The interior is not quite up to par yet either, though don’t worry, that’s what this process is for! I counted two cauldrons; which is two more than this house should have. I would also reorient your beds again, trying to match this kind of look: (Notice they flank the fire on either side, I realize your beam placement makes this more difficult, but do try your best!)

(Get used to IRL references, they are your best guide most of the time when trying to establish the right ‘feeling’)

These are often multi-family homes, so I would also like to see the interior have a wider array of furniture/interior ‘clutter’, teleporting around the eastfolde and looking at on-map references is the best way to get ideas.

The goal of these first builds are to show you can take direction, so don’t feel bad copying details for now. In time you’ll get a feel for it and be adding good ideas of your own; but don’t rush it.

Do these things, and we’ll go from there!

2 Likes

Well i just changed all the things you said were not quite right.

Roof is fixed and the beds have changed position, i’ve also gotten rid of the cauldron and added 2 chests just like in the picture.

Right then, I’ve seen your changes in game and advised you to try a hobbit home for a farmer (family of 5), which you also got built quite quickly. Nice!

It doesn’t quite fit the standard for our shire builds though; there are a few aspects in particular I want you to pay attention to.

1. I count 10 beds, and way more rooms than there should be for their class. This will help a lot with the feeling of your build, as the size will necessarily drop by a lot. The rooms themselves are also much bigger than they should be, so its no wonder your build feels empty.

2. If any room in the house were to have a window it would be the kitchen, as the need for good lighting here is most critical. I would move the kitchen to the front of the home, and replace that bedroom directly to the right, with the window.

3. I’m not a fan of the round rooms, they just don’t make sense in a build this size/class and they don’t match with any on-map low class smiles as far as I know.

4. Check how floors are done around the map and fix accordingly, we try to avoid scattered blocks wherever possible.

Warp Pincup: -1150 -75 is a good example
-1205 -90 for another great example

Notice the tight corridors, small rooms, and poor furnishings. The cramped feeling and lack of light is what really sells the low class feeling.

The goal of these first builds are to show you can take direction, so don’t feel bad copying details for now. In time you’ll get a feel for it and be adding good ideas of your own; but don’t rush it.

1 Like

As we’ve discussed in-game we’ve fixed many of the problems my build had before and you have given me some great tips on how to improve my build.
You told me it was mostly about the inside as my build will be judged on the inside.

My house used to be a lot bigger so all the (leftover rooms) i’ve hidden behind dirt because you told me not to remove it right away but to close it all up and make it feel smaller/more cramped as a hobbit hole should feel.

The beds are now the amount you wanted (5) i removed the others that were too much.
The rooms aren’t round anymore.
The Kitchen now has a window.
Floors are fixed according to how they’re supposed to be.
But you know all of this already.

Here are the images via Imgur: https://imgur.com/a/Z2s0R7g

The warp is the same as the post above said already, same plot as the Rohan Build.
Hopefully this will be sufficient.

WickedNeutron

2 Likes

Thank you for sticking it out so far, your definitely getting closer.

I still think you have a little bit to go, so I’m going you have to build one more house.

I’d like you to build another house in the folde style. Low class, 7 beds. Try to nail all of the little details you can find on the map, inside and out (don’t build more than the house, but make sure the walls, roof and smoke vents are done correctly).

Execute this well, and we’ll see about promotion!

1 Like

@Guan since you’re my new mentor, i’m sending this reply to you.
i’ve finished the 3rd house as was my last task in the plots map.

You’ve seen it and accepted it and you told me to reply here that i’ve finished it.
Well that’s about all, short message.

Thanks in advance.
WickedNeutron

1 Like

Very nice, while there are still things to learn and improve on, i’ll promote you to apprentice!

Being an Apprentice means you are a part of the project, but not a full Builder yet. You have this rank so you can learn and understand how we build. We have high standards and a focus on realism which means that there are things for you to learn. Your duties as an Apprentice should give you good grounding to become a Builder, and, as such, you will begin your first lot of on-server building work assisting current Builders on their builds. This will hopefully allow you to obtain the experience needed to build on your own when you feel you can start on building something on your own.

When building as an Apprentice, you are only permitted to build on one building at a time. This not only provides you with good practice for your time as a Builder, but also allows project leaders and Overseers to get a good and clear idea of what your building abilities are. This will allow us to give you better and more bespoke feedback, and prevent any unnecessary problems. Keep in mind that you are only allowed to work on something if you have permission from a project leader via an open plot or confirmation if it’s something else. Finally, as an Apprentice you must always listen to project leaders when they give you feedback, criticisms, and tasks. Ask them if you are unsure of what to build, or how to build it. You have this rank to learn.

Message me if you have any questions, and good luck!

Rejected for inactivity.
If you decide to return, message me.