Builder Application: Thorongil2931: ACCEPTED

Player name: Thorongil2931

How did you find out about us: Was looking at LOTR themed builds for inspiration and ended up finding your website.

How old are you?: 22

Where are you from?: B’ham UK

Are you in our Discord? Do you understand that you must have Discord running at all times when at your computer, and that you must check the forums every few days?: I have just joined it and I understand it must be on at all times.

Why do you want to help with this project?: I’ve been a fan of Tolkien’s works since i was a child, growing up with the Hobbit, and the prospect of building Tolkien’s world is exciting, and something I couldn’t pass up helping with, especially after seeing the incredible work that has been put in already.

Which Tolkien-related works have you read, seen or listened to?: I have read the LOTR trilogy, the Silmarillion and the Hobbit several times. I’ve watched all the films (even the Hobbit trilogy, sadly), and used to listen to the Hobbit on audiotape when I was younger.

Portfolio: https://imgur.com/a/9bZXK Blacksmith (Beorning)

https://imgur.com/a/EoDAp Dwarven Gate

Plot ID: 28:-11

Are there any styles that you excel at? Any styles which you have difficulty with?: Mostly medieval builds, using wood and stone predominately, and I’d like to think I can do interiors decently too. I also enjoy landscaping, but need to work on my custom trees. I find very detailed builds a little difficult, but I’m always trying to learn new build styles and improve my skills, so am willing to try anything.

Other relevant skills: None that I can think of, but am willing to learn any that I might need for this project.

1 Like

Hop onto the server, claim a plot, and build in two styles that we are currently building in on the server. At this moment that would be dwarven (warp Thorin’s Halls) and beorning (warp Burh3). After that you should update your portfolio, and then our overseers can take a good look at it.

1 Like

Ok will do, thank you.

1 Like

As suggested by Oriol, changed the roof to a different type of wood, and have filled out the main room a little more. Also removed the books in bedroom.

1 Like

Nice work, I can tell that you have spent time on the server looking around at the beorning and dwarven styles. I gave you some feedback in game and you’ve had a shot at improving your build which is good to see and although there are still some strange block choices, you’ll quickly learn what kind of materials look good in certain styles. Altogether a good app worthy of being promoted to apprentice. Please read the information below to see how you can get promoted again to builder.

Being an Apprentice means you are a part of the project, but not a full Builder yet. You have this rank, so you can learn and understand how we build. We have high standards and a focus on realism, That means there are things for you to learn. Here’s how to get Builder:

When you build a house in a project and think it is finished, you should post a comment on this application thread with the closest warp and coordinates of your house. Then builders or overseers will comment on this thread and give you fair feedback. When you have made a house on your first try up to our standards, you will be promoted to Builder.

ArdaCraft is a friendly community that explores the freedom to create and build together. However, when we are dealing with an enormous project like this there are some guidelines we need to follow to make it work.

Firstly, always name the stuff you build. We have a set of project blocks that we use - you can read about those in the new player guide at ‘/warp spawn’.

Secondly, if you are looking for something to help out with, you can type ‘/warp jobs’. This is where you can find all open jobs like building houses or something similar. You will be provided with instructions on how to get to these projects, and what to build once you get there.

Thirdly, do not be afraid to ask members for help and get to know us. This is a community project and it’s important to be part of the community! Stay active on Discord and the forums. Make sure to let Fornad know who you are on Discord so that he can give you the appropriate rank on there.

6 Likes

Have finished a house at Burh3, coords are: 14012/106/286 (Ropemakers).

1 Like

Redid cartographers in Thorin’s Halls (coords:-7169, 68, -2526), which has been approved. Redid rope-maker interior in Burh3, and did interior for the warehouse on the dock both of which are awaiting approval.

1 Like

The fact that you 've had to redo these means you’re still stuck in Apprentice. You’re making a lot of progress though! I’d say you’ll get it after the next one or two houses you complete.

1 Like

Update:

Completed small house in Burh3 (the one with the apple orchard) - Approved
Did the interior for the coppicer’s in Burh3 - Approved (had some help from Eagl)
Completed a house in Village2 (fletcher) - Approved
Another house in Village2, just outside it - Approved
In TH, have completed a grocer’s, in Woodworker’s Row - Approved (did take a couple of attempt though).

Plus a load of other random odd jobs around the server.

if there’s any more I need to do, just let me know.

Thanks

10 Likes

You’ve been really active since you got Apprentice, and your builds have definitely improved, so I’m going to promote you to Builder! Don’t think this means that you won’t stop learning and improving - even the best builders on AC are still students in their own way.

Congratulations!

8 Likes