Builder Application: SchulerPilot: ACCEPTED

Player name: SchulerPilot

How did you find out about us?: I’ve watched several YouTube videos about the server, and knew that I had to join the team.

How old are you?: I am 20 years old.

Where are you from?: I am originally from the USA, but I now live in Ireland.

Are you in our Discord? Is your username the same as your Minecraft name? Do you understand that you must always have Discord open, and that you must check the forums every few days?: Yes, I am in Discord, and my username is the same in there. I check the Discord server many times a day, and I have notifications turned.

Why do you want to help with this project?: I have always wanted to make Minecraft creations based on the books by Tolkien. What better place to do that, than in the ArdaCraft server? Ye are making something great, and I want to be a part of this amazing project, if I can.

Which Tolkien-related works have you read, seen or listened to?: I have read The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, and The Silmarillion. I have also watched The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit films by Peter Jackson.

Portfolio: https://imgur.com/a/veSPP0L

[- Only include original work which you alone have worked on]
[- Your portfolio must contain shots of one build made using the Conquest Reforged mod and resource pack (this should be built on the ArdaCraft plots server - type /warp plots in-game). It is required that this build is related to builds being created on the main map at the time of your application - see /warp jobs]
[- Please look at recent successful applications in order to get an idea of what is expected in the portfolio]

Plot ID: 45: -23

Are there any styles that you excel at? Any styles which you have difficulty with?: I’ve been most happy with my Rohan type buildings. I’m still trying to get the hang of Hobbit buildings. Before I found ArdaCraft, I had been building modern-day types of houses.

Other relevant skills: I am training to be an Airline Pilot, though I doubt that would benefit the server in any way. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks for applying! We’ve already talked via both DM and voice-chat, so I’ll just write a summary of what we’ve discussed here.
The Rohan house you’ve made is quite a good start, things that I pointed out were:

• Different beam system to allow for more space

• Improve your Roof gradient a little bit, even though it is quite alright already, there were just a few spots that I pointed out which could be improved.

• Add more storage in the form of amphoras, vases, baskets, and wooden crates (the smaller ones). Limit the use of barrels (I think I said crates in voice chat, but I meant barrels). Can also add some firewood.

• Cluster beds around the campfire, these would be used as benches during the day. If you need extra beds (which is often the case), you can add them in the corner like you kind of did already, keep it to 1 corner though.

• Add some kind of table where they can cook/eat their food.

• Something which you couldn’t really have known since we did it wrong all around Rohan: Don’t use smoke-outlets, smoke would just go through the thatch instead.

Given the fact that we won’t be doing a lot of Rohan houses anymore, I’m not asking you to redo this house (although it might be your second assignment). Instead, I would like you to make a Hobbit house for a family of 2, Michel Delving style. You can use both Hobbit guides, but the one at the spawn is more up-to-date. In addition to these, you should also use the gradient guide. Simply copy one of the layouts you might find in the guides and go from there. When you’re done, leave a comment and DM me via Discord, and I’ll review it.

2 Likes

I’ve completed the Michel Delving house.

2 Likes

Talked to you in-game again, I asked you to build another Rohan house. If you nail it, I think you’re ready for promotion.

I’ve completed my Edoras house.

1 Like

You’ve definitely improved and I think you should be ready to start experimenting with 1.15. Welcome to the team!

Being an Apprentice means you are a part of the project, but not a full Builder yet. You have this rank so you can learn and understand how we build. We have high standards and a focus on realism which means that there are things for you to learn. Your duties as an Apprentice should give you good grounding to become a Builder, and, as such, you will begin your first lot of on-server building work assisting current Builders on their builds. This will hopefully allow you to obtain the experience needed to build on your own when you feel you can start on building something on your own.

When building as an Apprentice, you are only permitted to build on one building at a time. This not only provides you with good practice for your time as a Builder, but also allows project leaders and Overseers to get a good and clear idea of what your building abilities are. This will allow us to give you better and more bespoke feedback, and prevent any unnecessary problems. Keep in mind that you are only allowed to work on something if you have permission from a project leader via an open plot or confirmation if it’s something else. Finally, as an Apprentice you must always listen to project leaders when they give you feedback, criticisms, and tasks. Ask them if you are unsure of what to build, or how to build it. You have this rank to learn.

In order to eventually obtain Builder, please read the guidelines below:
When you build a house in a project and think it is finished, you should add an ‘Awaiting Approval’ block above your build. The project leader will assess your build and give you fair feedback, asking you to update your build, or approving it. When your building is approved, you may add it to this thread, stating what your build was, which project it is a part of, and its coordinates (X,Z). For example:
Upper class hobbit home, Longbottom.
Coords: -1328, 408

When you have achieved a standard of building that matches the basic standard of the server, you will be promoted to Builder. This requires you to build at least 5 buildings in differing styles, for example two hobbit houses, two Tharbad ruins and a Rohan home.

ArdaCraft is a friendly community that explores the freedom to create and build together. However, when we are dealing with an enormous project like this there are some guidelines we need to follow to make it work. Firstly, always name and date the stuff you build. We have a set of project blocks that we use - you can read about those in the new player guide at ‘/warp spawn’. Secondly, if you are looking for something to help out with, you can type ‘/warp jobs’. This is where you can find all open jobs like building houses or something similar. You will be provided with instructions on how to get to these projects, and what to build once you get there. Thirdly, do not be afraid to ask members for help and get to know us. This is a community project and it’s important to be part of the community! Stay active on Discord and the forums. Make sure to let an Overseer know who you are on Discord so that he can give you the appropriate rank on there. On a final note, please remember that Apprentice is not a permanent rank, so we require a certain level of activity during your progression. Being active fewer than once a month will result in your application being rejected.

1 Like

Here’s my first attempt at building Moria style pillars.

Second attempt. I’m going to probably stick with this version.

1 Like

Here’s a look at my build so far. I think I’m happy with it for now. Next step will be turning it into ruins.

1 Like

My Moria plot is finished, and has been approved by Guan.
The coordinates are -106 90 2609 in the 1.15 server.

1 Like

My Minas Tirith free build has been approved by Fruit.

Edit: Forgot to include the coordinates -19 68 2161 (1.15 Server)

3 Likes

Built a house in Combe. It was approved by Big_Spanky.
Coordinates 4690 28 4638

1 Like

Moria rest hall approved.
Coordinates 1188 35 2141

2 Likes

Great work! Accepted

1 Like