Builder Application: Priest of Rush: ACCEPTED

Player name: PriestofRush

How did you find out about us?: I looked up Lord of the Rings minecraft maps as i was reading the books, and found this server.

How old are you?: 21
Where are you from?: Hungary

Are you in our Discord? Do you understand that you must have Discord running at all times when at your computer, and that you must check the forums every few days?: Yes! Already doing it.

Why do you want to help with this project?: I think its a really wonderful project and im very interested in helping it grow. I find it very special and would love to be part of the community as well.

Which Tolkien-related works have you read, seen or listened to?: I have seen all the movies, and read The Hobbit, all of LOTR, and about half of the Silmarillions. Im planning to watch the old cartoons and the strange russian version soon.

Portfolio: Ardacraft Application! - Album on Imgur
Please note that the amount of books and writing equipment (as well as the size) of the hobbit house is deliberate, as i planned the owner of the house to be a scribe of some kind. I designed their house with that in mind, while keeping in mind the limitations of the world.

Plot ID: -35:36

Are there any styles that you excel at? Any styles which you have difficulty with?: Since I only started building i wouldn’t say to excel or struggle especially with either of my builds, but I would say that the hobbit house was more fun to build.

Other relevant skills: I have a very wide and avid interest in history, and know a lot of historical building styles. I do a lot of historical research in my free time and love reading up on things, which could be useful in researching builds and helping out with things like that.

4 Likes

Hey Rush. Decent effort so far but there are a few things to edit.

For your Rohan house the main thing to keep an eye out for is the usage of (or rather, not using) cupboards/drawers. Stuff like that is too advanced for these people and they’d instead use simple boxes/chests etc to store clothes and items. Another issue is the block you chose for your smoke; we use the cloud blocks instead of the animated ones. The exterior seems quite okay, if not a bit bland.

As for your Hobbit house, there are a few aesthetic choices I wouldn’t have chosen. The boards at the base of your exterior seem strange and frankly look quite bad. And the rest of the exterior is the same as your Rohan one, in that it looks okay but it would greatly benefit from more detailing. You’ll notice around the Shire that exteriors often have another block-type for the facades, whether it be wooden boards or tudor framing or something else, to make it look interesting.

The interior seems quite good actually, apart from some minor gripes such as the wooden logs being used for the ceiling. Books/scrolls should also be left to an absolute minimum as they cost a fortune.

Overall though I think you’ve done well. The one thing I always recommend to new applicants, and my best advice I can give, is to replicate as much as you can from examples on the main map. Copying pre-existing houses (or even the ones in the hobbit guide) is the best way to familiarize yourself and gain confidence with a new style. Don’t be shy to straight up rip some interior or exterior designs and paste them in your application house, if anything it shows us you can replicate things accurately.

I think you’ll benefit from a bit more practice and incorporating the tips here in another build. So I’d like you to try another Hobbit house in the style of Greenfields (or Long Cleeve). Remember to thoroughly read the hobbit guide! There are also good interior layouts for you to use.

Look forward to your update!

5 Likes

I fixed all you said about the previous buildings: The cupboards are gone, the smoke is different, and i made the exterior look a bit more interesting on the rohan house. The Hobbit house now has brick underneath,and has more greenery on it.

The new hobbit house is a small low class turf house. I used several houses that i liked as my basis, which I can give the coordinates to if anybody would like to see them.

Given feedback ingame, and since you’ve done a good job with some houses in Michel, I think you’re ready for Apprentice. Read the text below to find out what to do next. Nice work.

Being an Apprentice means you are a part of the project, but not a full Builder yet. You have this rank so you can learn and understand how we build. We have high standards and a focus on realism which means that there are things for you to learn. Your duties as an Apprentice should give you good grounding to become a Builder, and, as such, you will begin your first lot of on-server building work assisting current Builders on their builds. This will hopefully allow you to obtain the experience needed to build on your own when you feel you can start on building something on your own. When building as an Apprentice, you are only permitted to build on one building at a time. This not only provides you with good practice for your time as a Builder, but also allows project leaders and Overseers to get a good and clear idea of what your building abilities are. This will allow us to give you better and more bespoke feedback, and prevent any unnecessary problems. Finally, as an Apprentice you must always listen to project leaders when they give you feedback, criticisms, and tasks. Ask them if you are unsure of what to build, or how to build it. You have this rank to learn.

In order to eventually obtain Builder, please read the guidelines below: When you build a house in a project and think it is finished, you should post a comment on this application thread with the closest warp and coordinates of your house. Then Builders or Overseers will comment on this thread and give you fair feedback. When you have achieved a standard of building that matches the basic standard of the server, you will be promoted to Builder. This could be on your first build or one further down the line. ArdaCraft is a friendly community that explores the freedom to create and build together. However, when we are dealing with an enormous project like this there are some guidelines we need to follow to make it work. Firstly, always name the stuff you build. We have a set of project blocks that we use - you can read about those in the new player guide at ‘/warp spawn’. Secondly, if you are looking for something to help out with, you can type ‘/warp jobs’. This is where you can find all open jobs like building houses or something similar. You will be provided with instructions on how to get to these projects, and what to build once you get there. Thirdly, do not be afraid to ask members for help and get to know us. This is a community project and it’s important to be part of the community! Stay active on Discord and the forums. Make sure to let an Overseer know who you are on Discord so that he can give you the appropriate rank on there.

2 Likes

Built a house at /Michel Delving, coordinates: -2620/ -452

2 Likes

Built a house at /warp michel delving, coordinates: -2515/ -290

2 Likes

Built a house at /warp michel delving, coordinates: -2604 /-459

2 Likes

Built the bigger building, a leatherworker, a tanner, a well, and a suterain at /warp dh9

2 Likes

Built a house, a shed, and a garden in Michel delving, coordinates are -2552/-326

2 Likes

Reskinned 3 houses in Needlehole, right besides each other. coordinates are -2044/ -1149, -2046/ 1161, -2055/ -1167

2 Likes

Did a shack at evsettlement, coordinates: -3567/7474

2 Likes

Did some ditches, a stable, and pasture in Entwade, coordinates: 11906/11508

4 Likes

Reskinned the Needlehole post office, coordinates: -2077/-1145

2 Likes

Made a house in Michel Delving, coordinates: -2648/ -345

2 Likes

Built a smial in Michel delving, coordinates: -2553/ -457

1 Like

Built a house in Michel Delving, coordinates: -2579/-468

Did 3 lockhole plots, a low class: -2534/-461 a middle class: -2560/-523 and a high class: -2560/-515

1 Like

Did a ruined house in Casthenid, coordinates: 1325/ 6846

1 Like

Did two more ruins in cathenid, coordinates: 1297/6751 and 1279/6852. Yannig helped in fixing them as well.

4 Likes

Did two more lockholes, coordinates: -2545/-545 -2530/-548