Builder application: mjc5592: ACCEPTED

Player name: mjc5592

How did you find out about us: Used to work on The Valar Project until it died, was subscribed to Ardacraft’s YouTube channel since it’s beginnings pretty much.

How old are you?: I’m 19, I’ll be 20 in about a month.

Where are you from?: I’m from Georgia, United States, but I’m currently living in Paderborn, Germany until the end of January.

Are you in our Discord? Do you understand that you must have Discord running at all times when at your computer, and that you must check the forums every few days?: I am and I do.

Why do you want to help with this project?: I’ve been in love with Middle-Earth and Tolkien’s world since I first read the books in 5th grade. I am passionate about the lore and would love to contribute to the ability to hop into a server and explore a likeness to Tolkien’s world unrivaled by anything else.

Which Tolkien-related works have you read, seen or listened to?: The Hobbit (book), The Hobbit (movies), The Lord of the Rings (books), The Lord of the Rings (movies), The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales.

Portfolio: https://imgur.com/a/i8ywVqW

Apprentice work: https://imgur.com/a/RxPpTSZ

Plot ID: Plot -28:2

Are there any styles that you excel at? Any styles which you have difficulty with?: I am very very good with builds for the Race of Men, specifically for Rohan. I have difficulty with Dwarven builds - the build on my plot was a real challenge. I hope I can learn more.

Other relevant skills: Unfortunately I have no skill texturing or coding :confused: I am pretty skilled at writing, however. If help is needed with social media posts, I can certainly help.

8 Likes

For the dwarven house, overall it’s pretty good. Floors could maybe do with a few more carpets tho. The exterior isn’t perfect, but works for apprentice at least imo.

5 Likes

Thank you for your application. You certainly have a good handle on the basic styles and overall did some good work. There are a few things to keep in mind, though. You always want to be detail-oriented. In our system it is critical to make your builds realistic and to consider what would make sense if people actually lived, worked, etc. in them. This will come in time, I’m sure. In the meantime, we have decided to promote you to the rank of Apprentice.

Being an Apprentice means you are a part of the project, but not a full Builder yet. You have this rank so you can learn and understand how we build. We have high standards and a focus on realism which means that there are things for you to learn.

Your duties as an Apprentice should give you good grounding to become a Builder, and, as such, you will begin your first lot of on-server building work assisting current Builders on their builds. This will hopefully allow you to obtain the experience needed to build on your own when you feel you can start on building something on your own.

When building as an Apprentice, you are only permitted to build on one building at a time. This not only provides you with good practice for your time as a Builder, but also allows project leaders and Overseers to get a good and clear idea of what your building abilities are. This will allow us to give you better and more bespoke feedback, and prevent any unnecessary problems.

Finally, as an Apprentice you must always listen to project leaders when they give you feedback, criticisms, and tasks. Ask them if you are unsure of what to build, or how to build it. You have this rank to learn.

Keep up the good work! I hope to promote you again soon.

4 Likes

Bump, since you have updated the application people won’t really see it unless you make a new post.

2 Likes

Bump! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok sorry for not seeing the apprentice album you’ve put up. In future it would be better if you just put the link in a new reply instead of editing your original app. The houses you’ve done are all built up to standard in my opinion and you’ve clearly followed the project guides. However, before promoting you to builder I’d like to see you have a shot at a more challenging medium or high class house somewhere just to check that you can build at this level. Once you’ve done this please add some screenshots to your album and repost the link below. Good luck!

3 Likes

I was instructed to build a stable and stable yard for this more advanced building prompt - here is my work:

https://imgur.com/a/ZI72est

Ok whilst these stable buildings seem up to standard and look pretty good, I am still reluctant to promote you to builder just yet. Everything you’ve done is good however, its just still a bit too basic to give builder for. Rohan builds are quite easy when compared to other styles so I’d like to see either a Thorins Halls middle class or a Lorien house. Sorry for not stating this more clearly in my previous post but be assured that the stable you’ve built is much appreciated and definitely helps your app. Have a look in either Thorins Halls for a medium class house (I believe some new halls will be opening up soon) or in Lorien Village 2 and have a go at one of their builds.

6 Likes

Update - finished the Lampwright and also built the middle class home of an elevator mechanic.

https://imgur.com/a/yzYx0Qf

4 Likes

Bump :slight_smile:

Nice work, both have been approved so they should be up to standard. There are a few places with some strange block choices like this part of the facade but that might have been made by someone else and isn’t a big problem.

Overall you’ve got a really good app and I think your building skills will continue to improve as you get used to the styles and blocks available.

Congrats and welcome to the team.

6 Likes