Builder Application: koolads: REJECTED

Player name: koolads

How did you find out about us?: Found it while looking for creative servers.

How old are you?: 22.

Where are you from?: UK.

Are you in our Discord? Do you understand that you must have Discord running at all times when at your computer, and that you must check the forums every few days?: Yes to both.

Why do you want to help with this project?: I like Lotr and I like how accurately the team works.

Which Tolkien-related works have you read, seen or listened to?: I’ve have read the Hobbit and I picked up Lotr, Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales this year. I have started Lotr.

Portfolio: https://imgur.com/a/vV3JQbA

Plot ID: -35:9

Are there any styles that you excel at? Any styles which you have difficulty with?: I wouldn’t say I excel at a style or that I’m particularly bad with. I am better at following the templates.

Other relevant skills: N/A

5 Likes

Hey Koolads, glad to see you apply! First things first, do you mind changing your forum name to match your in-game name? It would be less confusing for us.

This is an unusual way to make a ruin in the plot world, this is the first time I see an applicant making an existing orange ruin in its application. I don’t think it is really a good idea because that ruin will eventually be claimed by a builder or an apprentice and it would give the applicant the occasion to just copy everything and not actually show its creative potential.
The other issue I have with this is that there are some particular parameters that should be taken into account like the ruin elevation and its proximity to the water. In the case of your ruin, that means that there should not be any water or mud and that’s regrettable as we want applicants to show both grassy and swampy ruins in their plots.

Of course, I could just ignore the fact that this particular ruin is supposed to match the one in Tharbad but there would still be some issues regarding the height of a corner of the ruin and the strange way you have made the walls.

For these reasons, I would like you to do a new 30x30 square with both grassy ruins that form a mound and ruins that have mud and water inside them. This is very important to know and understand the difference between them (of course one ruin could be both at once). I would check back the guide at “/warp Tharbad”, especially for the vegetation if I were you. And try to do smoother shapes for the ruins and do a better slope/transition where the ruins sink into the mud and water(in short, use more layers).

1 Like

Hey Yannig,

Thanks for replying so quick.

I am unsure what you mean about copying the plot as it is an empty plot. I thought it was best to show that I can work within the orange parameters that I am applying to work in.
I was also thinking a plot directly beside water would be a likely candidate for a flooded ruin. Apologies if it specified on the signs above for grassy ruins.

The corner part was meant to be against the bridge as if it had been washed up the wall by the water but since I have to explain, I’d say I haven’t presented it well enough :slight_smile:

I could do with some pointers on how the walls should be arranged as I didn’t think I had that right either.

I’ll get started on the new plot soon and get back to you.

2 Likes

What I mean is that I prefer to see you come up with your own ruin layout rather than doing one that exists on the main map. And the ruin you choose to make is indeed close to the water but above the floodplain and should consequently not be so muddy. If you look again in Tharbad where you have picked your ruin, you will see that there was only grass and no sign of mud because it is approximately 1 or 2 blocks too high above the floodplain.

Thankfully, the overseers can now leave signs in the applicants’ plots apparently, so I will leave you some notes as soon as I can.

Any news on your application @koolads ?

Rejected for inactivity