Builder Application: Jward43936: ACCEPTED

Player name: Jward43936

How did you find out about us?: Youtube

How old are you?: 17

Where are you from?: Mississippi, United States

Are you in our Discord? Do you understand that you must have Discord running at all times when at your computer, and that you must check the forums every few days?: Yes, yes.

Why do you want to help with this project?: I have been looking for a great build project to take part in for a long time, but none have ever been in a fantasy-realism setting as LOTR, I am extremely eager to refine my building skills and develop myself.

Which Tolkien-related works have you read, seen or listened to?: All of the movies

Portfolio: Eastfold Hamlet Eastfold Hamlet - Album on Imgur

Plot ID: 37:-13

Are there any styles that you excel at? Any styles which you have difficulty with?: I’m pretty good at Rohan-style building as most of my experience is medieval European however, I haven’t tried any of the other ones yet.

Other relevant skills: N/A

6 Likes

Hello Jward, and thank you for applying.

First and foremost, your build is great, especially as it’s your first one. However, there are a few details to correct to make it perfect.

• The roofs need a colour gradient, to show how rain would affect the straw over time.
  • The interior of the ceilings could use some work
  • Likewise the paths need a proper gradient as well.

When I catch you online I’ll go through how to do these things, or I’m sure if you ask a builder or other overseer they’ll teach you.

Usually our applicants just build a house, but you have gone above and beyond and made a whole homestead, which includes a very decent crack at diagonal builds, so you get major points for that. However, we will require another build from you to show you can adapt to different styles. In addition to the fixes above, I’d like you to make a middle class Hobbit bakery with room for a family of three. Use ‘/warp hobbitguide’ for ideas, and already built examples around the Shire, such as the bakery in Sackville.

4 Likes

I edited the gradient a minute after these screenshots were taken, so it will appear different in game

4 Likes
3 Likes

As I said before you’ve gone above and beyond with your Rohan build, and nailed a hobbit build with minimal input. Also, you’re able to take constructive criticism, which is always a plus. As such, welcome to Apprenticeship!

Being an Apprentice means you are a part of the project, but not a full Builder yet. You have this rank so you can learn and understand how we build. We have high standards and a focus on realism which means that there are things for you to learn. Your duties as an Apprentice should give you good grounding to become a Builder, and, as such, you will begin your first lot of on-server building work assisting current Builders on their builds. This will hopefully allow you to obtain the experience needed to build on your own when you feel you can start on building something on your own. When building as an Apprentice, you are only permitted to build on one building at a time. This not only provides you with good practice for your time as a Builder, but also allows project leaders and Overseers to get a good and clear idea of what your building abilities are. This will allow us to give you better and more bespoke feedback, and prevent any unnecessary problems. Keep in mind that you are only allowed to work on something if you have permission from a project leader via an open plot or confirmation if it’s something else. Finally, as an Apprentice you must always listen to project leaders when they give you feedback, criticisms, and tasks. Ask them if you are unsure of what to build, or how to build it. You have this rank to learn.

In order to eventually obtain Builder, please read the guidelines below:
When you build a house in a project and think it is finished, you should post a comment on this application thread with the closest warp and coordinates of your house. Then Builders or Overseers will comment on this thread and give you fair feedback. When you have achieved a standard of building that matches the basic standard of the server, you will be promoted to Builder. This could be on your first build or one further down the line. ArdaCraft is a friendly community that explores the freedom to create and build together. However, when we are dealing with an enormous project like this there are some guidelines we need to follow to make it work. Firstly, always name and date the stuff you build. We have a set of project blocks that we use - you can read about those in the new player guide at ‘/warp spawn’. Secondly, if you are looking for something to help out with, you can type ‘/warp jobs’. This is where you can find all open jobs like building houses or something similar. You will be provided with instructions on how to get to these projects, and what to build once you get there. Thirdly, do not be afraid to ask members for help and get to know us. This is a community project and it’s important to be part of the community! Stay active on Discord and the forums. Make sure to let an Overseer know who you are on Discord so that he can give you the appropriate rank on there.

On a final note, please remember that Apprentice is not a permanent rank, so we require a certain level of activity during your progression. Being active fewer than once a month will result in your application being rejected.

4 Likes

3/8/2021 13413,70,13921 /warp efh19
Rohan 8 bedroom house, only did interior and fixed roof gradient

1 Like

4/8/2021 13260,68,14030 /warp EFHAM5
11 bed farmer house, as well as storage shed behind it

1 Like

^^ same coords and date
sheep barn and flora around the 3 buildings

2 Likes

^^ same coords and date
bakehouse

1 Like

^^ same coords, about 8/15/21

Ropemaker workshop

3 Likes

Made on 1.15 server about 8/17/21
Lind told me I could add it to my app

6 Likes

Well, you’ve done good work, keep it up as a builder. Congrats!

4 Likes