Builder Application: JoeVC: ACCEPTED

Player name : JoeVC

How did you find out about us : I have know about the server for years through previous building servers as well as youtube, but reddit re-ignited my interest in this server.

How old are you? : 21

Where are you from? : UK

Are you in our Discord? Do you understand that you must have Discord running at all times when at your computer, and that you must check the forums every few days?: Yes, and yes.

Why do you want to help with this project? : I have been a minecraft builder for 10 years give or take. I have spent time on medievel servers like DakrCraft as well as other server projects like Esterlon. However, my main reasons to why i want to help with this project is my love of fantasy and Tolkein. I love fantasy, im reading Game of Thrones at the moment, ive read Lord of the Rings numerours times (not to mention the hours ive spent watching the films as well as Men of the West, Nerd of the Rings, In Deep Geek etc on Youtube, and recently discovering reddit and the information it provides). This server provides a forum unique to many, but especially to me. Somewhere i can combine my love of the world Tolkien created with the world of minecraft creative building which i have dedicated literal months of my life to.

Portfolio [ArdaCraft Builder Application - Album on Imgur - Arda Craft - Album on Imgur

Plot ID : -36:-16

Are there any styles that you excel at? Any styles which you have difficulty with? :Im generally good at using image references to mimic styles. However, i excel at mediterranean/italian styles, especially using simplicity to make it look detailed.

Other relevant skills Im a decent landscaper having experience in World Edit and Voxel Sniper. I also spend alot of time landscaping by hand and find i much more interesting and fun to build on hills and difficult terrain! I also have a great taste in music (self proclaimed ofcourse) and spend much of my time on spotify.

P.S. if it interests you here is my PMC, its a bit outdated but it has some medieval landscapes and mediterranean style builds. JoeVC on Planet Minecraft

9 Likes

To highlight a few details I’m interested in, and there are more, I’ll give some general thoughts here and help you more in-game.

Based on these two Hobbit build images, I’m concerned you haven’t been shown or haven’t looked at the guide for the Shire Revamp found at /warp HobbitGuide. Your interiors are quite plain and not well planned. I’d suggest taking a look there first and trying something simple. The guide is outdated to a small amount as some of our builders have advanced hobbit interiors to a degree that is out of the reach of new players. But it should give you a good start.

I’d also suggest you look at /warp FoldeGuide and then have a look around Edoras. We generally don’t have bunk beds in Rohan and the bed usage is quite different to what you have. I’ve given some advice on the walls themselves to you. So please make those changes if possible.

For your ground outside of builds I am really going to stress that you limit the amount of trampled down dirt you have, for the time being. While we do have something similar around our homes, the way its done will need to be better explained to you in game. Remove the layered bits for now, until you get better at how to gradient ground blocks. If and when you make apprentice from your buildings, we can get you working on road sections and I can show you how to make paths and work areas.

Final thoughts: You’re doing really well to have just observed some builds on our map and attempted to make your own versions outright. Work on these things and you’ll be apprentice in no time.

5 Likes

Hi Hearth!

Thankyou for the response. Having taken on board what you said I have improved the ground and wall gradient of my folde house and change the bed layout.

I have also created a new hobbit house.

Imgur Link: - Arda Craft Improvement Post - Album on Imgur

The Folde House is on plot; -36, -16
The Hobbit house is on plot -37, -16

Many Thanks,
Joe

4 Likes

We’ve kept track of this application mostly in game, and have seen some improvement that makes it clear you’re ready to move on to apprentice. I will help mentor you along the way–but feel free to ask any experienced player, generally ones with + rank or the overseers.

Being an Apprentice means you are a part of the project, but not a full Builder yet. You have this rank so you can learn and understand how we build. We have high standards and a focus on realism which means that there are things for you to learn. Your duties as an Apprentice should give you good grounding to become a Builder, and, as such, you will begin your first lot of on-server building work assisting current Builders on their builds. This will hopefully allow you to obtain the experience needed to build on your own when you feel you can start on building something on your own. When building as an Apprentice, you are only permitted to build on one building at a time. This not only provides you with good practice for your time as a Builder, but also allows project leaders and Overseers to get a good and clear idea of what your building abilities are. This will allow us to give you better and more bespoke feedback, and prevent any unnecessary problems. Keep in mind that you are only allowed to work on something if you have permission from a project leader via an open plot or confirmation if it’s something else. Finally, as an Apprentice you must always listen to project leaders when they give you feedback, criticisms, and tasks. Ask them if you are unsure of what to build, or how to build it. You have this rank to learn.

In order to eventually obtain Builder, please read the guidelines below: When you build a house in a project and think it is finished, you should post a comment on this application thread with the closest warp and coordinates of your house. Then Builders or Overseers will comment on this thread and give you fair feedback. When you have achieved a standard of building that matches the basic standard of the server, you will be promoted to Builder. This could be on your first build or one further down the line. ArdaCraft is a friendly community that explores the freedom to create and build together. However, when we are dealing with an enormous project like this there are some guidelines we need to follow to make it work. Firstly, always name and date the stuff you build. We have a set of project blocks that we use - you can read about those in the new player guide at ‘/warp spawn’. Secondly, if you are looking for something to help out with, you can type ‘/warp jobs’. This is where you can find all open jobs like building houses or something similar. You will be provided with instructions on how to get to these projects, and what to build once you get there. Thirdly, do not be afraid to ask members for help and get to know us. This is a community project and it’s important to be part of the community! Stay active on Discord and the forums. Make sure to let an Overseer know who you are on Discord so that he can give you the appropriate rank on there.

On a final note, please remember that Apprentice is not a permanent rank, so we require a certain level of activity during your progression. Being active fewer than once a month will result in your application being rejected.

2 Likes

/warp efh7
12240, 13760

Interior on east folde house (dark tudor exterior)

2 Likes

/warp efh8

7 Person House, exterior and Interior + wood store

2 Likes

/warp efv2

12229, 12928

8 Person Bed Interior, Smith shop and garden

4 Likes

I’m putting in a special request here as your mentor. After you successfully complete your current progress build, the stablemaster please complete this task.

My primary concern these days is with roads. So I’ve marked out a section of road between EFH7 and 8 that I’d like you to do, there’s some section of completed road near EFH15 you can look at. /warp GERguide for some general ideas of how roads can look, though obviously GERguide is meant for a much older and wider road.

I think this will benefit you as your initial application and your village build showed that some repetition making roads will add some polish to your builder app. I’ve also laid markers at the ends of the road where there’s a bridge at EFH6 on the north side and a converging roadby EFH15 on the south side. If you feel up to the additional challenge, you can complete the entire road section for good karmas with me.

3 Likes

Road Section EFH7 - EFH8

/warp efh6

12237, 13788

2 Likes

House, Stable and Garden

/warp efv2

12180, 13011

2 Likes

House Ruins

/warp Tharbad

4005, 4170

3 Likes

2 x Middle Class Houses, Wood Store and Carpenter, and landscaping

/warp efham3

12460, 14223

2 Likes

I will check on your plots when I can, but I’m working at a place with terrible internet. If you could, keep working on that Hobbit Homestead. Great job so far!

2 Likes

/warp SFH3

Small study/lounge for olaf

-2145, -358

3 Likes

My congratulations to you! You’ve been promoted to builder! (I trust you’ll still get that homestead done!) You’ve done amazing work to show how adaptable you are and great patience in listening to our requests and instructions. Welcome to the team, officially, yep!

10 Likes