Builder Application: jean_le_bon: APPRENTICE

Player name: jean(bon
How did you find out about us?: through videos on youtube

How old are you?:15

Where are you from?: Paris,France

**Are you in our Discord? Is your username the same as your Minecraft name? Do you understand that you must always have Discord open, and that you must check the forums every few days?: yes I am on discord and I understand that need to remain active, though my ussername on discord (jean(bon)) slightly varies from minecraft username (jean_le_bon)

Why do you want to help with this project?: I’m a big fan of tolkien’s writings and already play minecraft regularly so why not really, I also have a lot of time on my hands.

Which Tolkien-related works have you read, seen or listened to?:I have read the hobbit, the lord of the rings and part of the silmarillion, I have also watched the hobbit and the lord of the rings movies

Portfolio: https://imgur.com/a/l2pRLUl

Are there any styles that you excel at? Any styles which you have difficulty with?: I have a hard time with the overall elvish style and don’t see myself building within it, other than that I’m open to everything.

Other relevant skills: I don’t really have much experience in any of the cited skills

2 Likes

Hey jeanbon, thanks for your app! I’ll just leave some feedback r. your MT house. Overall it’s quite good for a first try but there’s some things I would improve upon.

• The most room for improvement lies in your gradient. You’re missing a few blocks in your palette so I’d have a look in MT to see what’s commonly used. Also consult this gradient guide which will help you a lot in how we approach our gradients/texturing.
  • The roof overhang is a bit blocky and overworked. We tend to use a simple horizontal quarter block along the edge for a subtle overhang.
  • The interior needs some work, especially the beams for your ceilings. I would again consult some MT examples and copy what’s done there. Also don’t forget to gradient your interior walls as well!

Have a go at building another MT house (feel free to make it smaller), this time applying the feedback I’ve provided. Especially have a good look at the gradient guide and practice on some surfaces to get a good feel for it, they’re very important!

eag

1 Like

thank you for the feedback, I’ll come back to you once the house is done

https://imgur.com/a/Pc9DHoH
all done, this one is an appartment building with a tenement on the 1st and 2nd floor

Hi Jean,

Firstly, I’m happy to say that I’ll be your Ardacraft mentor, which is why I’m responding to your second build.

To check off Eag’s notes, the roof looks better, though the lack of an overhang in the back confuses me.

As far as I can tell, the interior ceiling beams are also duly improved.

The outside gradient however still requires some work. While the mossy stone is put in about ok, the faded stone is too splattery. Gradients should generally progress vertically, due to the way weather works, and yet the faded blocks seem to progress in density along a diagonal line.

This being said, if the overseers allow then I hope we can get you apprentice soon.

ok thank you, about the overhang in the back I simply didn’t spend much time working on it and forgot.
Other than that I have to admit I have a hard time with the gradients and definitly need to improve on that end.

1 Like

Congratulations, you’ve been promoted to Apprentice. Welcome to the team!

Being an Apprentice means you are a part of the project, but not a full Builder yet. You have this rank so you can improve. We have high standards and a focus on realism which means that there are things for you to learn. Your duties as an Apprentice should give you good grounding to become a Builder, and you will begin your first lot of on-server building work assisting Overseers/Builders on their builds. This will allow you to obtain the experience needed to lead on your own when you feel you are ready.

If you are looking for something to help out with, you can type ‘/warp jobs’ or look on the Projects section of our forums. This is where you can find all open jobs like building houses or something similar. You will be provided with instructions on how to get to these projects, and what to build once you get there. Thirdly, do not be afraid to ask members for help and get to know us. This is a community project and it’s important to be part of the community!

When building as an Apprentice, you are only permitted to build on one building at a time, and to post each build on your thread with the closest warp or the co-ordinates. This not only provides you with good practice for your time as a Builder, but also allows project leaders to get a good and clear idea of what your building abilities are. This will allow us to give you better feedback, and prevent any unnecessary problems. Keep in mind that you are only allowed to work on something if you have permission from a project leader via an open plot or their express permission. Finally, as an Apprentice you must always listen to project leaders when they give you feedback, criticisms, and tasks. Ask them if you are unsure of what to build, or how to build it. You have this rank to learn.

You’re going to be working with Rota and Stuk on a homestead in Anórien (ANH7), and Freeze (your mentor) should also have some jobs for you in Tharbad soon.

1 Like