Builder Application: FFelagund: REJECTED

Player name: FFelagund

How long have you been a member of this project?: About 4 weeks

How old are you?: 19

Where are you from?: USA

Are you in our Discord?: Yep

Why do you want to help with this project?: I have loved Tolkien’s works for as long as I can remember, and I’ve attempted a few (admittedly unimpressive) Middle Earth projects of my own. I would be thrilled to be part of this project that brings together people from all over the world to bring his world to life.

Which Tolkien-related works have you read, seen or listened to?:
-Read Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit, and the Silmarillion
-Watched all the movies (including the Rankin-Bass ones from the 70s)
-I also have a copy of Unfinished Tales that I’ve used for research

Portfolio: A fairly modest Dale house

Are there any styles that you excel at? Any styles which you have difficulty with?: None in particular either way. I’m a fast learner.

Other relevant skills:
Rudimentary knowledge of plants
I am studying Music Composition. Whether or not that can be helpful, I’ll let you decide.

It appears that you don’t have our resource packs on. Do /warp rptest on the server to work it out.

I’ll let someone else critique your build.

That’s fixed now. Do you want me to re-take the pictures?

1 Like

Your interior is far too plain. Could you please spend time looking around Dale and re-try the interior?

I’ll pitch some suggestions. Your overall shape is good and your roof is rather well done. Your walls could use some work imo though.

• Try not to recede the plaster behind beams, it’s more realistic to keep them flat and in line with each other. Plus it helps make your walls look less gridlike.

• Try to distract from any grid patterns you make. There’s a million ways to do this. You can make your walls entirely tudor, replacing beams with boxed tudor. Or you can simply cover this up using flower boxes, ivy, bay windows, shutters, etc. You can also get creative with beam placement and make T and Cross sections instead of just grids to support your floors.

• Change your wall texture to a colored stucco or tudor. The texture you used is really reserved for elven builds (grey havens specifically).

• Also look into using CTM in your windows. The window textures have some cool connections and you can use them in a lot of ways.

• Apply a gradient to your foundation. Don’t just keep it 1 texture! Mix it with mossy, cracked cobblestone, or other stone types. We have thousands of blocks, utilize them!

Won’t comment on interiors as it’s not my forte. I’d start by /warp Bree or /warp Dale and just check out some of the houses. Good examples of ways to be creative within a given style.

5 Likes

I’ve completely overhauled my house. Here are the updated photos: https://imgur.com/a/JugbW

I’m sorry but this is still not up to standard, I am going to reject this app, I suggest you spend a lot more time looking around before you bother to re-apply.