Builder Application: Deadrory: ACCEPTED

Player name: deadrory

How did you find out about us?: Years ago through youtube. Discovered again intentionally by looking up the project theme.

How old are you?: I am 20.

Where are you from?: Iowa

Are you in our Discord? Do you understand that you must have Discord running at all times when at your computer, and that you must check the forums every few days?: Yes I understand. Unless I am asleep, I am nearly always available on discord.

Why do you want to help with this project?: I’ve been an avid worldbuilder through writing and through minecraft for about 3 years. I am looking for something ambitious and incredible, much like this project, to improve my skills, contribute to something grand, make friends, and have a great time. You guys have the most incredible project I have ever seen and I am excited to participate and contribute.

Which Tolkien-related works have you read, seen or listened to?: lotr and hobbit movies. I have also read the fandom wiki a fair amount, and will avidly be doing so as I build. I havent been a lotr nerd, but I know I’ll become one real soon being here, I am happy to say that.

Portfolio: Arda App Deadrory - Album on Imgur <posted slightly out of order for some reason. Sorry

I was trying to post some vanilla works but it isnt posting the link, its just showing the first image in the gallery on the preview… If you want to see, I will link them to you on discord. I have a lot to show if you are interested

Plot ID: -20:-36

Are there any styles that you excel at? Any styles which you have difficulty with?: I feel confident with Mediterranean works, vibrant marketplaces, winding roads, town squares, farmlands, docks, and many medieval works.

Other relevant skills: Nothing that would really pertain to this project, I dont think.

3 Likes

Hey Deadrory, very good application overall! I will not pronounce myself concerning your Rohan house as it is someone else’s role for your application but here goes my take on your Tharbad ruins:

I see that you understand most of the basics and after a quick talk with Fruit who helped you for your house, I know that you are the type of person that can improve fast so I expect that my comments will help you if you do other ruins if you get accepted.

Some mud ponds are too deep

Summary

That kind of small mud pond with only 1-3 blocks in the middle of grass looks too deep I recommend to either place layers to make it shallower or even just placing full blocks of mud in those holes to just show a very wet spot in the ground.

Walls too high/not smooth enough in places.

Summary

Erosion over the course of centuries or even millennia does not do this kind of shape in stone walls. It should be smoother.

Different levels of water next to each other

Summary

This is a big no-no but I am sure you won’t do it again so it’s fine. In Tharbad most of the water is on the same level with a few exceptions in the form of isolated ponds. If a stream was effectively going down one block, it would be smoother and require World Edit wich you don’t have as an applicant of course.

Vegetation

Summary

This might be your weakest point sadly. Some plants that should never go on the mud were placed among summer reeds and rushes and other plants that go on the grass and in the ruins were totally forgotten (meadow fescue and kingsfoil)
Your reeds and rushes look too random and badly placed, they are at least 2 or even 3 blocks high unless they are placed above water. I would recommend starting your vegetation by placing summer reeds all over the mud and a bit above water and then replace some with pockets of rushes for a more believable look.
You placed ferns but I don’t believe there should be any so close to wet areas.
The other plants look too randomly placed as well. Try to place them by patches of the same variety.
Finally, don’t forget to put vegetals on the walls too and do not forget kingsfoil, this is the most important plant.

My critics may look more severe than they really are. Your ruins look acceptable for an application and I am sure that you will improve quickly and that I will see you soon among us :wink:

3 Likes

Hey, thanks for applying! Your Rohan house looks decent, just keep in mind that 95% of them will have dirt floors. I defer to @Yannig for critiques on your Tharbad ruin :upside_down_face:

For your final assignment before moving to Apprentice, I’d like you to build a house for a middle-class Hobbit candlemaker. Please refer to the Shire guide at the spawn, this style is a bit more complex. Also, make sure you have an idea of how the candle-making process works, and look around the Shire for examples. Don’t be afraid to ask for help finding these, but your build itself should be done on your own.

Take all the time you need to make a top-notch build. Good luck!

4 Likes

I made another tharbad example, trying to follow your response.

1 Like

I did have a dirt gradient floor on my first one, fruit suggested against it. All in all, Im sure Ill learn when to use the proper floor types as I go :slight_smile:

I’ll get on that Shire build late tonight, or maybe this weekend. In an hour, Ill be starting 3 days in a row of 12 hour shifts, so Ill be a little busy going forward.

1 Like

Oh should probably have been clearer, I was talking about the gradient you had, did not mean you couldn’t do dirt floor at all. Just a mix of dirt gravel and dark dirt path usually works too.

1 Like

You did not need to do another example but it looks better already, well done.

1 Like

Completed Candlemaker
Plot ID: -19:-35

3 Likes

Deadrory and I discussed his Hobbit house in-game. I had a few minor critiques, but on the whole it was a very good build. As such, I’m promoting him to Apprentice.

Being an Apprentice means you are a part of the project, but not a full Builder yet. You have this rank so you can learn and understand how we build. We have high standards and a focus on realism which means that there are things for you to learn. Your duties as an Apprentice should give you good grounding to become a Builder, and, as such, you will begin your first lot of on-server building work assisting current Builders on their builds. This will hopefully allow you to obtain the experience needed to build on your own when you feel you can start on building something on your own. When building as an Apprentice, you are only permitted to build on one building at a time. This not only provides you with good practice for your time as a Builder, but also allows project leaders and Overseers to get a good and clear idea of what your building abilities are. This will allow us to give you better and more bespoke feedback, and prevent any unnecessary problems. Keep in mind that you are only allowed to work on something if you have permission from a project leader via an open plot or confirmation if it’s something else. Finally, as an Apprentice you must always listen to project leaders when they give you feedback, criticisms, and tasks. Ask them if you are unsure of what to build, or how to build it. You have this rank to learn.

In order to eventually obtain Builder, please read the guidelines below:
When you build a house in a project and think it is finished, you should post a comment on this application thread with the closest warp and coordinates of your house. Then Builders or Overseers will comment on this thread and give you fair feedback. When you have achieved a standard of building that matches the basic standard of the server, you will be promoted to Builder. This could be on your first build or one further down the line. ArdaCraft is a friendly community that explores the freedom to create and build together. However, when we are dealing with an enormous project like this there are some guidelines we need to follow to make it work. Firstly, always name and date the stuff you build. We have a set of project blocks that we use - you can read about those in the new player guide at ‘/warp spawn’. Secondly, if you are looking for something to help out with, you can type ‘/warp jobs’. This is where you can find all open jobs like building houses or something similar. You will be provided with instructions on how to get to these projects, and what to build once you get there. Thirdly, do not be afraid to ask members for help and get to know us. This is a community project and it’s important to be part of the community! Stay active on Discord and the forums. Make sure to let an Overseer know who you are on Discord so that he can give you the appropriate rank on there.

On a final note, please remember that Apprentice is not a permanent rank, so we require a certain level of activity during your progression. Being active fewer than once a month will result in your application being rejected.

Congratulations, and happy building!

6 Likes

EFH23
(warp: efh23, x: 14007 z: 14052)

• Middle Class home with 14 beds

• Lower/Middle class home with 8 beds

• Cheesemaker workshop

• Sheep/goat barn with wool production

• Exterior Allotments

• Shed for food storage

5 Likes

Tharbad