Builder Application: Darkkiryll: ACCEPTED

Player name: Darkkiryll

How did you find out about us: Found out about the Ardacraft split from MCME around early 2016, if I remember correctly.

How old are you?: 23

Where are you from?: The Netherlands

Are you in our Discord? Do you understand that you must have Discord running at all times when at your computer, and that you must check the forums every few days?: Yes, yes and yes.

Why do you want to help with this project?: I am a fan of Tolkien’s works and enjoy playing Minecraft. I’ve been following this server for a long time, but just didn’t have the time to contribute myself, untill now. I hope to be a good addition to the team, and look forward to helping in any ongoing and upcoming projects. The quality of the project’s builds and terrain really bring Tolkien’s world alive to me.

Which Tolkien-related works have you read, seen or listened to?: I’ve watched all Peter Jackson films, I’ve read the LOTR books including Appendices, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion (gave up 3 times but finished it eventually) and the book of Unfinished Tales.

Portfolio: https://imgur.com/a/NI11BMB

My Rohan and Dunland builds on my plot. I’m not the best at taking screenshots, sorry.

Plot ID: 13:-7

Are there any styles that you excel at? Any styles which you have difficulty with?: Nothing in particular comes to mind relevant to Ardacraft.

Other relevant skills: I have experience with Worldpainter and other terrain generating programs like World Machine and Gaea. Here’s a recent post of mine on r/minecraft with 10k+ upvotes: https://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/gfvi1o/made_some_realistic_mountainous_terrain/

8 Likes

Hey Kiryll,

Thanks for your application. I think it’s good enough for apprentice, though there’s a few things that can still be improved. For example the cloth on the floor is a bit odd. And also because you use the model beams near the walls, you can’t have a continuous row of beds. This has been a recurring theme in our Rohan builds lately. I also think you don’t really need to have as many room dividers, could just get rid of the one near the ladder. This being said, I actually also enjoyed the “ignore this” build on the side. I dont really have anything to say about the dunland build, other than that it looks alright. You show you know how to add detail. Read the text below to get an idea of what to do next.

Being an Apprentice means you are a part of the project, but not a full Builder yet. You have this rank so you can learn and understand how we build. We have high standards and a focus on realism which means that there are things for you to learn.

Your duties as an Apprentice should give you good grounding to become a Builder, and, as such, you will begin your first lot of on-server building work assisting current Builders on their builds. This will hopefully allow you to obtain the experience needed to build on your own when you feel you can start on building something on your own.

When building as an Apprentice, you are only permitted to build on one building at a time. This not only provides you with good practice for your time as a Builder, but also allows project leaders and Overseers to get a good and clear idea of what your building abilities are. This will allow us to give you better and more bespoke feedback, and prevent any unnecessary problems.

Finally, as an Apprentice you must always listen to project leaders when they give you feedback, criticisms, and tasks. Ask them if you are unsure of what to build, or how to build it. You have this rank to learn.

2 Likes

Update: Today I built 1 Tent at WOC3, 3 Tents at WOC7 and did interior+ surrounding land of 2 houses on the outskirts of Edoras. Also did mud trenches around the outskirts of Edoras. Coords:

WOC3 Tent: X:12990, Z:9175
WOC7 Tents: X:12578, Z:7201 and X:12592, Z:7208 and X:12548, Z:7227
Edoras Outskirts Build day houses: X:10872, Z:12906 and X:10846, Z: 12892

4 Likes

Update: Built another tent at WOC7 and built the area surrounding the leader’s house in DSC2, including 6 pit granaries, 2 chicken pens and a pig pen.
Coords:

WOC7 Tent: X:12617, Z:7237
DSC2: X:6917, Z:9003

3 Likes

Update: Built 3 approved Hobbit houses in Deephallow. Coords:

House 1, Poor Farmer: X:-76, Z:146
House 2, Poor Farmer: X:-23, Z:148
House 3, Upper Class Carpenter/Cartwright: X:-72, Z:115

3 Likes

Sorry for not posting any updates for a while. I spent a few days on the server building things on FB that are not currently on the map yet, but might be added to it later, so I figured I couldnt use that for my application. They include a revamped version of the Bridge Inn (which will likely be used elsewhere in the shire, between Frogmorton and Bywater) and some other things like a house in Br$ev$mp.

I have however also built quite a few things on the main map lately.

On yesterday’s Edoras Build day, I built two houses under consutrction and the plots surrounding them, coords: X:10861, Z:12833 and X:10845, Z:12816. I also did the interior of the Eastern Gate (X:10807, Z:12901) and the westernmost watchtower of Edoras (X:10354, Z:12855), and did some miscellaneous things around Edoras such as pathing and vegetation.

Did a tent in WOC6 at X:13300, Z:7871

Did and interior of a house in Yppeton at X:9974, Z:12367

Also helped out more in the Shire, helping with pathing, improving on one of my previously approved houses and doing a shed interior in Deephallow.

2 Likes

Nice work, promoted to builder

3 Likes