Builder Application: A_Noin: APPRENTICE

Player name: Riley

How did you find out about us?:
I found a video on YouTube showcasing one of the builds, then saw Nerd of the Rings’ video on it. I was immediately interested but didn’t really think I could contribute, until I found I could apply.

How old are you?:
16yrs

Where are you from?:
Brisbane, Australia

Are you in our Discord? Is your username the same as your Minecraft name? Do you understand that you must always have Discord open, and that you must check the forums every few days?:
Yep, I am on the discord as Smial, but my MC name is A_noin, and yep.

Why do you want to help with this project?:
I have been massively intrigued in Tolkien’s works for years, and as an avid Minecraft user found this to be the perfect opportunity to dive deeper into Tolkien’s work.

Which Tolkien-related works have you read, seen or listened to?:
I am currently reading LotR for the third time, and have read The Hobbit a few times and the Silmarillion once. I have listened to the FotR audiobook, and seen all of Peter Jackson’s films (Extended editions oc).

Portfolio:
https://imgur.com/gallery/EkFosYk

This build is the house and property of a wealthier middle-class Bree family of five, with two older and one younger child. The father is a wheelwright, and therefore has a workshop next to the house with various tools and examples of wheels on the wall. Connected is a forge, which he would also use. The mother has a small business selling carpets and clothes, which operates from a room connected to the bedroom with a loom and spinning wheel, along with various materials and baskets. The material she uses primarily is sheep’s wool, which is gathered from the sheep in a small sheep pen in the back of the property. The kitchen is connected to the dining area, and is close to a well-stocked larder full of meats and vegetables from the gardens outside the back door. As my first-ever build using the modpack, I am very happy with the end result.

Are there any styles that you excel at? Any styles which you have difficulty with?:
I enjoy considering the needs of the household comprehensively and thinking about what they would have owned or used, so houses of Men are easier to me than Elves or dwarves, of whom I don’t know much about concerning their daily life. I have difficulties making trees or landscaping, and don’t know much about native or agricultural flora, but I’m always open to learning new skills.

Other relevant skills:
I have some experience with World Painter, but not really anything relevant.

3 Likes

Hey! Looks like you’re off to a solid start. You’re certainly doing some exploration of the pack blocks, such as gradients that I find quite solid for someone newer to our build styles. That being said, we’ll have quite a bit of fun honing your skills further. Examples: We’ll be getting to a Bree guide soon that shows how simplified and clean interiors can make for an effective build, historical precedent for certain details, and shaping of a building. This looks like apprentice worthy building so far, so I’m promoting you!

Being an Apprentice means you are a part of the project, but not a full Builder yet. You have this rank so you can learn and understand how we build. We have high standards and a focus on realism which means that there are things for you to learn. Your duties as an Apprentice should give you good grounding to become a Builder, and, as such, you will begin your first lot of on-server building work assisting current Builders on their builds. This will hopefully allow you to obtain the experience needed to build on your own when you feel you can start on building something on your own.

When building as an Apprentice, you are only permitted to build on one building at a time. This not only provides you with good practice for your time as a Builder, but also allows project leaders and Overseers to get a good and clear idea of what your building abilities are. This will allow us to give you better and more bespoke feedback, and prevent any unnecessary problems. Keep in mind that you are only allowed to work on something if you have permission from a project leader via an open plot or confirmation if it’s something else. Finally, as an Apprentice you must always listen to project leaders when they give you feedback, criticisms, and tasks. Ask them if you are unsure of what to build, or how to build it. You have this rank to learn.

Enjoy being green!

1 Like