Book Suggestions/Discussions

Just copying mcme, like everything else on ardacraft tbh.

The Shining- Stephen King
So I just finished “The Shining” for the first time and I must say, compared to the book, the movie honestly feels weak. Kubrick’s version is amazing, but the book is by far more fascinating, and extremely cinematic in and of itself. If you’ve never read the book before, definitely give it a try.

The Road- Cormac McCarthy
I read this not too long ago as well. A really quick read, and bleak as fuck, but an amazing spectacle of writing. I’d elaborate, but this book is honestly so short you might as well just go read it now instead of reading a description.

Post your own shit.
ᶠᵍᵗˢ

2 Likes

A Game of Thrones- George R.R. Martian
The first book to the popular series, “A Song of Ice and Fire” which in my opinion is just as entertaining as watching the show. I have been reading it for a while alongside watching the show and really enjoyed it thus far.

Norse Mythology- Neil Gaiman
I read this book a while ago, it’s quite short but is very funny and addictive read. This book really brings out the character in Thor and Loki. Since it’s a summary of the real historical myths, it stays true to the original characters unlike the Marvel adaptations.

2 Likes

Lord of the Rings - J. R. R. Tolkien
These are some really enjoyable books. I won’t give spoilers but its basically about this fantasy world where a bunch of blokes get together and try to destroy a ring. 10/10 would reccomend.

9 Likes

George R.R. Martian

I assume it’s SF.

The Witcher - Andrzej Sapkowski
These books are really good, I am now halfway trough the serie, but their
are also short story collections which are pretty cool to read. Its different to the game
which takes place years after the books.

1 Like

The Wild Places - Robert Macfarlane
The Old Ways - Robert Macfarlane

One of, if not the best, nature writers alive. I would recommend his writing to anyone with even a passing interest in history, geography, geology, or the natural world.

1 Like

Day- A.L. Kennedy
About a royal air force bomber in WWII, who years later is reliving his army life as an extra on the set of a WWII film. Another rather short read. There’s a specific passage that’s always struck me, and I’ve mentioned in passing to Wheellee before. I’ll post it once i get around to scanning it, even out of context of the book it’s quite an experience.

Dune - Frank Herbert
An extremely in-depth science-fiction story about politics, revenge and enlightenment. There’s lots of cool anthropological concepts, too.

Island by Aldous Huxley

This is basically the lesser-known, utopian counterpart to Brave New World. Really good book that often makes you reconsider some pretty basic assumptions you make about society.

1 Like