1.16.5 Update

https://i.imgur.com/37BDXuD.png

The 1.16.5 update is drawing near so I thought I’d make a post outlining the form that this update will take.

The technical stuff

SpongeForge does not yet have an official release for 1.16.5 and instead of continuing to wait for this, we have decided to use mods to replace the Sponge plugins we relied on in 1.12. Functions like warps, permissions, ranks, VoxelSniper and so on will be handled by mods that you will need to install before joining the server. @Freshmilkymilk intends to update our launcher with a 1.16.5 profile soon, so you will only need to run this profile and drop Optifine into your mods folder to have everything set up correctly. We may also set up an ArdaCraft profile on CurseForge.

There are currently two mods we need (but cannot yet use) to have everything running exactly as it was in 1.12:

• WorldProtector, which will prevent guests from breaking farmland and paintings, and will be released for 1.16.5 in approximately three weeks
  • MultiWorld, which allows us to have multiple world dimensions (e.g. freebuild, Moria, plots) running on the same server, and only exists for 1.18

This means that we will not be able to have guests on the server for at least three weeks, and we won’t have multiple worlds on the same server until 1.18 (hopefully later this year).

As such, for the next three weeks or so, AC will have three servers running:

• 1.16.5 - the main map with Minas Tirith, Anórien, Bree and Caras Galadhon running as active projects;
  • 1.16.5 – the Moria/freebuild server (the same map we currently have running on 1.15)
  • 1.12 – the main map for guests to continue to explore

Once WorldProtector is updated and running, we will shut down the 1.12 server and allow guests to join the two 1.16.5 servers. Once we reach 1.18, we will be able to have Moria and freebuild running alongside the main map again.

The good news is that performance in 1.16.5 should be significantly improved from both 1.12 and 1.15!

Textures

Once you join, you will notice that leaves and plant textures look quite different to the way they did in 1.15. This is due to a lighting change made by Mojang in versions 1.16.5 and above. However, @wheellee has figured out a way to mitigate this change with textures – expect updates to both the AC Overlay and main CR resource pack in the coming weeks.

Actions for builders

Due to the fact that Minas Tirith and the Pelennor Fields were placed in their correct co-ordinates on the 1.15 server, I can quickly and easily copy their region files into the 1.16.5 main map. However, Bree, Caras Galadhon, and Dôr Tylys will all need to be copied across with WorldEdit. Leaders of these projects – you will need to save your projects as schematics in chunks of no more than 500k blocks each. Please ensure you stand on the same block every time you do //copy and //schem save, or else pasting them in will be a nightmare. Once they have been saved, let me know and I’ll move the schematics across.

For any other projects or builds that you would like to be copied over to the main map rather than remaining on freebuild, please paste them in the blue area marked below on the 1.15 server before the end of this weekend and I can move them across easily. The area between the red and blue lines is currently void on both the 1.15 and 1.12 server, so it is safe to paste things there.

I will continue to update this thread as and when there are more announcements to come - stay tuned!

8 Likes

Can’t use F3+N to switch gamemodes to spectator, no permission, am able to use /gamemode command.
Weathered Anorthosite block looks like weathered Andesite.

The launcher has now been updated to support 1.16.5 thanks to Fresh!

1 Like

We now have multiworld support thanks to JayemCeekay! See the updated link to the mod list in my second post above.

1 Like