Maethoriach (Rhudaur Town)

The issue with the river is that it would have changed course over hundreds of years (within the bottom of its valley). So any houses built next to it might have been built where its course runs now (go to Celhant to see how some of the houses are beginning to be eroded away by the river there). Furthermore, It’s a relatively small river so I can’t imagine it would flood more than 1 block - however that is enough to destroy houses on y=20.

Right, so if I understand this correctly, houses that would be in the course of the river changing its position would be completely gone so I might as well get rid of those and houses on y=20 would have more extensive damage and look partly washed away?

First part is correct.

Houses on y=20 would be gone.

Project update for meeting:

Continuing to complete the walls, after this is done will open the entire project to the public.

1 Like

Walls are done, thanks to @quantacube for the help with that. Project is open

3 Likes

In light of the meeting, and the fact that I think the town is too small myself, I’ve come up with an extended design for the town that features an additional 34 houses, where as if we left it as is we would have only 11 houses, which in my opinion is unacceptable for something that is supposed to be a town regardless of whether the town was flooded or not. In addition to this, the town has a walled section, which it would only have after some threshold population capacity was reached.

In the design below, I’ve tried to address the key issues that were pointed out in the meeting; layout and purpose. I’ve also compared the volume the new design takes up to the volume the houses in Bree take up and i reckon its more or less equal.

Where, grey = small roads, black = high volume roads, brown=houses, red circle=things I forgot to remove.

6 Likes

Looks good! Do keep in mind that you’re only building houses that had stone foundations though - there would have been poorer ones made of wood/wattle and daub when the town was inhabited. As a result the town would have been larger than any layout you make.

3 Likes

4 Likes

There will be a build day for Maethoriach on Saturday 30th at 1500 UTC, with the aim is to finish this project. Come on and join if you can.

1 Like

All done.
Thanks to all those who helped.

5 Likes