Dillcat's Application: ACCEPTED

Player name: Dillcat

How did you find out about us:I found out about the server while watching a video by Dukonred1 on the Ardacraft server showcasing some of their builds.

How old are you?: 14-16

Where are you from?: US Illinois

Are you in our Discord? Do you understand that you must have Discord running at all times when at your computer, and that you must check the forums every few days?: Yes.

Why do you want to help with this project?:I became interested after seeing the world of Arda slowly coming to life, and want to get involved. I also wanted to experience building in the mod, as it gives a lot of variety in what can be created.

Which Tolkien-related works have you read, seen or listened to?:
-Seen the Lord of the Rings trilogy
-Read The Hobbit
-Seen The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
-Seen The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug

Portfolio: https://imgur.com/a/LNP6s - Ardacraft Plot

Plot ID: 9:16

Are there any styles that you excel at? Any styles which you have difficulty with?: I am stronger in buildings as seen in my portfolio(you could call it human), but I have found I struggle with atmosphere, and the elven building style. I have yet to see how I do with the dwarven style.

Other relevant skills: Familiar with World Painter.

I am still learning the uses of the mod, and my weaknesses will hopefully become stronger as I work with new styles in it.

2 Likes

Your build looks good, but could you please do a Dwarven build for us? An elven build would also help your application.

1 Like

Hello! Here is the dwarven build.
https://imgur.com/a/sB8wm

Could you please provide interior shots of your dwarven build?

In a dwarven settlement most of the stuff people build are their houses. A dwarven house with a fancy interior would be great for your application.

Here are some interior shots: https://imgur.com/a/s9aAS

Ok Dillcat, you’ve made some clear improvements and your dwarven interior are looking promising but there are still a few things that aren’t quite up to standard so let me try and give you some feedback.

First of all your carpets often look like this. Not only is this unrealistic but it also looks pretty bad so try to stick to square, rectangular or circular shapes.

Secondly, although you’ve made some effort to detail your ceilings, they are still too flat in a lot of places. If you look around any dwarven mine, you’ll see that every ceiling is detailed and either has a dome or beams going across it. This makes a room look a lot better as well as preventing the ceiling from collapsing.

Finally, this is just a minor detail but your walls in this picture aren’t very pretty I’m afraid. Partly because of the pillar blocks that are lined up side by side and also due to the overall lack of depth. Stuff like this is hard to give feedback on since it essentially relies on your ability to see what looks good or not but I suggest just having a more thorough look around some high class dwarven houses to get some design ideas.

If you could go back to show that you can fix and improve your interior based on this feedback then we’d definitely be able to promote you to apprentice. Let me know when you’ve done that so that I can check out how you’ve done and hopefully you’ll be promoted soon!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback :stuck_out_tongue: I fixed a couple of things, the interiors should be ready now!

Hey Dillcat, you’re definitely improving. The interiors you’ve redone are already passable for apprentice imho, although the dwarven house lacks the feeling of someone actually living there. Try and think of it as your own house, each room in your house fulfills some sort of function, be it storage. For example this room, the first one you enter, is really empty. Your exteriors also need slightly more to pass for builder. If you’re sick and tired of dwarven you could have a go at a Forlond style house (/warp numenetsir or /warp forlond), and if you’re not you should really check out /warp dwarfguide for an style-reference guide for dwarven. Try to add detail to the exterior not by making the wall itself 2 wide, but by adding awnings, shutters, flowerbaskets and whatnot. You can always ask builders online for some design advice.

Here is my numenetsir/forlond warp style. https://imgur.com/a/68FV8

Just having gone through this process, I will tell you that they are ultra picky on realism. I would cover up those shingles that are poking through on your interior. Go over everything again and do some touch ups and you will get approved in no time.

ps…you busted out the numenetsir style pretty quick and it looks good. Im having trouble getting it right. Good job.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll try to be more thorough and think realistically with my build. Good luck on getting builder!

1 Like

I updated things with the house a little more, some subtle changes, as well as a garden and small trees in the front.

(I apologize if I could not find ways to make this more realistic, I feel like this is something I will have to work on over time.)

I went to /warp Lossoth6 and built the storage room for fish and whale meat. It is located at 417, 23, -9227.

Hey. I’ve been looking at your storage house at lossoth6 and I think what you have done is really good. Not much I can criticise you on. You just forgot to add trapdoors on both sides of the windows and I did some quite small edits to the ceiling. I have not been following this application process, so I will let someone else decide if you are good enough to get builder now. Keep up the good work.

-Kem

1 Like

Thank you Kemce.

1 Like

Sorry for the delay in reply to you Dillcat, an oversight on our part, having looked at your builds I am convinced you have improved enough to get builder rank. Congratulations!

7 Likes