Builder Application: _TheCrusher_

Player name : TheCrusher

How did you find out about us? : Youtube

How old are you? : 17

Where are you from? :USA

**Are you in our Discord? Do you understand that you must have Discord running at all times when at your computer, and that you must check the forums every few days?: Yes

Why do you want to help with this project? : I enjoy minecraft and I enjoy Tolkien so I figured why not combine the things I enjoy and help here.

Which Tolkien-related works have you read, seen or listened to? : All the movies, LOTR books, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, Beren & Luthien

Portfolio : Rohan Folde style house on Imgur

Plot ID : -15:-36

Are there any styles that you excel at? Any styles which you have difficulty with? : Dont believe so, havent tried yet

Other relevant skills : N/A

7 Likes

Hey Crusher, welcome and thank you for applying.

I had a look at your plot and it seems you have a pretty decent grasp of how to build a Rohan folde style house. You even did a decent job on the roof gradient which is quite rare to see on a first time build. I do however have a few points of feedback I would like to see you apply on your build:

• Firstly, the roof gradient seems to be entirely symmetrical in both directions to form 4 quarters that are the exact same. The roof gradient colouring is supposed to show natural weathering of the thatch, so try to change it around a bit to make it slightly more realistic and natural looking.

• Two points of feedback for the beds: The black beds are burnt beds, so I would change them out for straw beds (orange beds or rustic beds) or one of the other beds you’ve used (wooden bare, wolfskin, bearskin). Also several of the beds are placed next to each other with the heads against the walls. While this can be done every now and then, it would be more common to see the beds lined up against the wall in their length, with the heads at the next bed’s feet or head.

• The interior along the northern long wall is almost entirely empty. While there is no need to clutter, I would suggest filling this area up somewhat. This could be done for example by moving some of the beds along this wall, which will also solve the revious point of feedback, or adding some Rohan-appropriate storage that you have not used yet (such as baskets or amphora pottery). Could also add a stool, small bench or other simple seating next to the fire.

• Lastly, the roof gets a bit awkward around the entrance of the house. I would probably not have the carved wood stick out this much without supports and fix the thatch at the top. Check Rohan houses on the main map for examples on how to do entrances like this.

I hope this feedback is of some help, and I would like to see you apply it to your build in-game. let me know when you’re done doing so, and if you’ve managed to apply it well we’ll try a second application build in a different style.

5 Likes

Thank you for the advice, I did what you asked for the roof, beds and north side of the house, I removed the carved wood because I couldn’t find any good way of adding supports. Also the plot next time mine, the one with the water is also mine and its supposed to be like Lake town, was wondering if you could give me a few pointers if you have the time. My first attempt I messed up the height of all the buildings.

2 Likes

Feedback was applied well enough, so I think we can move on to the next build for the application. For your second build, I would like you to build a middle-class hobbit bakery where 3 people live, in any Southfarthing or Westfarthing style.

Good luck! Let me know when you’re done by either messaging me in-game or on Discord.

4 Likes