Builder Application: _TheCrusher_: REJECTED

Player name : TheCrusher

How did you find out about us? : Youtube

How old are you? : 17

Where are you from? :USA

**Are you in our Discord? Do you understand that you must have Discord running at all times when at your computer, and that you must check the forums every few days?: Yes

Why do you want to help with this project? : I enjoy minecraft and I enjoy Tolkien so I figured why not combine the things I enjoy and help here.

Which Tolkien-related works have you read, seen or listened to? : All the movies, LOTR books, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, Beren & Luthien

Portfolio : Rohan Folde style house on Imgur

https://imgur.com/gallery/9vt15bg

Plot ID : -15:-36

Are there any styles that you excel at? Any styles which you have difficulty with? : Dont believe so, havent tried yet

Other relevant skills : N/A

7 Likes

Hey Crusher, welcome and thank you for applying.

I had a look at your plot and it seems you have a pretty decent grasp of how to build a Rohan folde style house. You even did a decent job on the roof gradient which is quite rare to see on a first time build. I do however have a few points of feedback I would like to see you apply on your build:

• Firstly, the roof gradient seems to be entirely symmetrical in both directions to form 4 quarters that are the exact same. The roof gradient colouring is supposed to show natural weathering of the thatch, so try to change it around a bit to make it slightly more realistic and natural looking.

• Two points of feedback for the beds: The black beds are burnt beds, so I would change them out for straw beds (orange beds or rustic beds) or one of the other beds you’ve used (wooden bare, wolfskin, bearskin). Also several of the beds are placed next to each other with the heads against the walls. While this can be done every now and then, it would be more common to see the beds lined up against the wall in their length, with the heads at the next bed’s feet or head.

• The interior along the northern long wall is almost entirely empty. While there is no need to clutter, I would suggest filling this area up somewhat. This could be done for example by moving some of the beds along this wall, which will also solve the revious point of feedback, or adding some Rohan-appropriate storage that you have not used yet (such as baskets or amphora pottery). Could also add a stool, small bench or other simple seating next to the fire.

• Lastly, the roof gets a bit awkward around the entrance of the house. I would probably not have the carved wood stick out this much without supports and fix the thatch at the top. Check Rohan houses on the main map for examples on how to do entrances like this.

I hope this feedback is of some help, and I would like to see you apply it to your build in-game. let me know when you’re done doing so, and if you’ve managed to apply it well we’ll try a second application build in a different style.

5 Likes

Thank you for the advice, I did what you asked for the roof, beds and north side of the house, I removed the carved wood because I couldn’t find any good way of adding supports. Also the plot next time mine, the one with the water is also mine and its supposed to be like Lake town, was wondering if you could give me a few pointers if you have the time. My first attempt I messed up the height of all the buildings.

2 Likes

Feedback was applied well enough, so I think we can move on to the next build for the application. For your second build, I would like you to build a middle-class hobbit bakery where 3 people live, in any Southfarthing or Westfarthing style.

Good luck! Let me know when you’re done by either messaging me in-game or on Discord.

4 Likes

Further communication was done over Discord and in-game. Crusher has built the Hobbit bakery, another low class hobbit house and a Tharbad ruin on his plots. While the Hobbit builds required some improvement, and you still have some to learn in this style and the following of guides, we think your tharbad ruins and rohan house show enough potential to justify promoting you to Apprentice.

So congratulations, you’re hereby promoted to Apprentice. I will however ask you to limit yourself to one build at a time untill it’s approved.

Being an Apprentice means you are a part of the project, but not a full Builder yet. You have this rank so you can learn and understand how we build. We have high standards and a focus on realism which means that there are things for you to learn. Your duties as an Apprentice should give you good grounding to become a Builder, and, as such, you will begin your first lot of on-server building work assisting current Builders on their builds. This will hopefully allow you to obtain the experience needed to build on your own when you feel you can start on building something on your own. When building as an Apprentice, you are only permitted to build on one building at a time. This not only provides you with good practice for your time as a Builder, but also allows project leaders and Overseers to get a good and clear idea of what your building abilities are. This will allow us to give you better and more bespoke feedback, and prevent any unnecessary problems. Keep in mind that you are only allowed to work on something if you have permission from a project leader via an open plot or confirmation if it’s something else. Finally, as an Apprentice you must always listen to project leaders when they give you feedback, criticisms, and tasks. Ask them if you are unsure of what to build, or how to build it. You have this rank to learn.

In order to eventually obtain Builder, please read the guidelines below: When you build a house in a project and think it is finished, you should add an ‘Awaiting Approval’ block above your build. The project leader will assess your build and give you fair feedback, asking you to update your build, or approving it. When your building is approved, you may add it to this thread, stating what your build was, which project it is a part of, and its coordinates (X,Z).
For example:

Upper class hobbit home, Longbottom. Coords: -1328, 408

When you have achieved a standard of building that matches the basic standard of the server, you will be promoted to Builder. This requires you to build at least 5 buildings in differing styles, for example two hobbit houses, two Tharbad ruins and a Rohan home. ArdaCraft is a friendly community that explores the freedom to create and build together. However, when we are dealing with an enormous project like this there are some guidelines we need to follow to make it work. Firstly, always name and date the stuff you build. We have a set of project blocks that we use - you can read about those in the new player guide at ‘/warp spawn’. Secondly, if you are looking for something to help out with, you can type ‘/warp jobs’. This is where you can find all open jobs like building houses or something similar. You will be provided with instructions on how to get to these projects, and what to build once you get there. Thirdly, do not be afraid to ask members for help and get to know us. This is a community project and it’s important to be part of the community! Stay active on Discord and the forums. Make sure to let an Overseer know who you are on Discord so that he can give you the appropriate rank on there. On a final note, please remember that Apprentice is not a permanent rank, so we require a certain level of activity during your progression. Being active fewer than once a month will result in your application being rejected.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Rejected for inactivity