Builder Application: Mr_Chang99: REJECTED

Player name: Mr_Chang99

Peterosu and Dukonred1

How old are you?: 19

Where are you from?: New Zealand

Are you in our Discord? Do you understand that you must have Discord running at all times when at your computer, and that you must check the forums every few days?: Yep

Why do you want to help with this project?: I find this project totally amazing and I wish to be a part of it

The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit and The Silmarillion
Portfolio: https://imgur.com/a/M2SQb This is a Beorning house with a stable attached.
https://imgur.com/a/w4VQZ Here is my second one

Plot ID: 12:-8

Are there any styles that you excel at? Any styles which you have difficulty with?: At the moment I don’t know, but I will find out through trial and error

Other relevant skills: Screenshots/recording

1 Like

At the moment, I’m just looking to see if the house is reasonably acceptable.
Just looking to see if the style is correct and what needs to be changed and worked on.

A few remarks, first off, you should turn on the AC overlay which can be found in your resource pack folder. Make sure it is on top. (or fix your optifine if its broken). Secondly, the roof of that house on your plot is a bit weird. It shouldn’t be using a full block and then a stair on top, but vertical slabs. Right now the roof is shaped like a diagonal wave, make it straight. Add more windows, don’t inset the shutters by a block (your wall is two thick in some places). It’s confusing where the door is, since you’ve put the shutters on the same level. You’re using a vertically connecting texture as a crossbeam. Try using one that connects horizontally so it would actually offer support. You’re also using the same material for both the floor and the walls, try a different texture for each. You’re also using that same material (spruce planks) to build furniture pieces. Try using different textures to make furniture, and also do not forget that we have trapdoors for basically every block. You can also add a small attic space for storage with a chest or two, or a crate, since the area near the ceiling is a bit bland right now.

All this being said, i think the house with the stable attached looks quite nice from the outside! try and go for a similar approach for the house which is currently on your plot. Add a few cool extensions, look around in our modpack some more for custom blocks, and don’t hesitate to ask other people for some words of advice.

2 Likes

I have been away for a bit, but most of my plot is finished and I will continue work on it in a couple of days

Ok, here is another Beorning house.
https://imgur.com/a/ePOrz

First things first, it seems like you don’t have connected textures enabled. You can fix that by going into “Resource Packs” in-game and putting the AC overlay on top.
I think your house looks decent, but maybe fix the shape of the roof and consider a wider variety of blocks for your interior decorations.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback!

I have actually put the AC overlay on, but there is no 1.10.2 version, so I only have the 1.8 version. If there is something wrong there, please help.

And regarding the roof, would you suggest making the roof more diagonal and straight, and not hanging over the sides (like the wood storage and front shop) or a completely different shape?

What he means is that it looks like you don’t have the Conquest Reforged resourcepack enabled. You need both the CR pack and AC overlay on top of it.

1 Like

Ok, here’s another Beorning / Burh3 house. I will also have a go trying other styles e.g. Dwarven, Lothlorien.
https://imgur.com/a/N6KzT

1 Like

This is looking a lot better. I look forward to seeing how you do at a Lothlorien / Dwarven style.

1 Like

Here is a small simple Lothlorien house. I, once again, welcome any feedback.
https://imgur.com/a/rm8ea

and another Lothlorien styled blacksmith
https://imgur.com/a/FKhEp

1 Like

Here’s a dwarven house/cooper as well
https://imgur.com/a/F5iDo

If you want anything else, or something is wrong with the builds, please tell me.

I think i could give you better feedback ingame, will you be around later today (tomorrow for you i guess)? I live in the EU so idk if timezones could cause issues.

1 Like

This looks quite good and you’ve put a lot of effort into the three styles. There are some weird block choices and designs like the even number of blocks on your elven house gable and the horizontal beam in your dwarven house that is made from vertical pillars. Despite this, the majority of what you’ve done is good and worthy of apprentice rank. I’m sure that if project leaders give you guidance on your builds and show you the ins and outs of their relevant style then you’ll be an asset to the server. Please read the instructions below to see how to progress to builder rank:

Being an Apprentice means you are a part of the project, but not a full Builder yet. You have this rank so you can learn and understand how we build. We have high standards and a focus on realism which means that there are things for you to learn.

Your duties as an Apprentice should give you good grounding to become a Builder, and, as such, you will begin your first lot of on-server building work assisting current Builders on their builds. This will hopefully allow you to obtain the experience needed to build on your own when you feel you can start on building something on your own.

When building as an Apprentice, you are only permitted to build on one building at a time. This not only provides you with good practice for your time as a Builder, but also allows project leaders and Overseers to get a good and clear idea of what your building abilities are. This will allow us to give you better and more bespoke feedback, and prevent any unnecessary problems.

Finally, as an Apprentice you must always listen to project leaders when they give you feedback, criticisms, and tasks. Ask them if you are unsure of what to build, or how to build it. You have this rank to learn

In order to eventually obtain Builder, please read the guidelines below:

When you build a house in a project and think it is finished, you should post a comment on this application thread with the closest warp and coordinates of your house. Then Builders or Overseers will comment on this thread and give you fair feedback. When you have achieved a standard of building that matches the basic standard of the server, you will be promoted to Builder. This could be on your first build or one further down the line.

ArdaCraft is a friendly community that explores the freedom to create and build together. However, when we are dealing with an enormous project like this there are some guidelines we need to follow to make it work.

Firstly, always name the stuff you build. We have a set of project blocks that we use - you can read about those in the new player guide at ‘/warp spawn’.

Secondly, if you are looking for something to help out with, you can type ‘/warp jobs’. This is where you can find all open jobs like building houses or something similar. You will be provided with instructions on how to get to these projects, and what to build once you get there.

Thirdly, do not be afraid to ask members for help and get to know us. This is a community project and it’s important to be part of the community! Stay active on Discord and the forums. Make sure to let Fornad know who you are on Discord so that he can give you the appropriate rank on there.

1 Like

I have also done an interior in Burh3 that was accepted by Eag, as apprentice and another one is waiting approval

And there is another ropemaker in Lv5 as well and a living house in lv7

cool stuff, I will check over these builds when I’m next on

Both your houses were checked by the village’s project leaders and your designs are not perfect. They did very good job on pointing out some things that need to be fixed, check it ingame, I’ll add my 5 cents to it here (from the top to the bottom):

1. There are many block variations to assure the ,flow" of the roof, and to avoid making it blocky and angular: from halfslabs, to vertical slabs, corner blocks or trap doors (its more visible on the second house you have created in village 7)
  2. Create interesting wall designs and columns. Throwing an entirely empty space like this doesn’t cut it. Yet again use: trap doors, small pillars, vertical slabs and so on. Also adding even single block type to the column design can change it all (log in this case)
  3. Make sure to detail out the foundation as well. Creating a plain single-colored flat surface is not a way to go.

1. My biggest worry however is how flat your walls are. I’ve tried to visualize it with the orange line. What Mrbanana did there is he created multilayered wall, with different details, some columns, vertical slabs, separated eave, with different depth, flowing outline of the roof and so on. When you look at it from the side, it looks interesting and has got multiple layers to it, while with your design it’s really flat.

The last point I have made is the most important one. This rule goes for all our elven buildings and it is assuring interesting structures in each city.

All in all, don’t worry, you have got nice base to rely on and you can make those adjustments in no time. Elven styles are the most demanding ones, I would say. Just pay attention to my notes and signs left by project leaders in each house.

8 Likes

Ok, I’ve taken into account all of the feedback and I believe I have fixed everything that is not up to standard/incorrect. I hope I haven’t missed anything, but if I have please tell me.

1 Like