Builder Application: Mariusthefifth: APPRENTICE

Player name: [Mariusthefifth]

How did you find out about us?: I found out about Ardacraft by watching youtube video’s from nerd of the rings

How old are you?: [I’m 20]

Where are you from?: [I’m from The Netherlands, South Holland]

Are you in our Discord? Do you understand that you must have Discord running at all times when at your computer, and that you must check the forums every few days?: Yes Discord is one of my most used apps

Why do you want to help with this project?: I love to build things overhaul in Minecraft but I didn’t have any way of Using this passion for anything. By joining this project I can build more because I’m much more committed to build something. I also love The middle earth trilogy although I’m not really a reader. But I think by helping with this project I will be much more devoted to read all of the books. I love to watch lore video’s about Tolkien’s works. So I do know more things about the world then what the films show you.

Which Tolkien-related works have you read, seen or listened to?: [This includes any books Tolkien wrote, any films made of his work, and any audiobooks made from his work] I’ve watched all Peter Jackson’s adaptation’s on Tolkien’s works. And I’ve tried to read The children of Hurin ( it was the only book of J.R.R. Tolkien we had at home) a while ago but then I didn’t understand anything of it, but I’d love to try and read it again.

Portfolio: [![

]

Plot ID: [ plot, 8,-27 ]

Are there any styles that you excel at? Any styles which you have difficulty with?: I still find it quite hard to build diagonally although I did build a diagonal windmill once it Only takes me twice as much time as building straight.

Other relevant skills: [I’m not really similar with other skills but I’d like to learn I love working with 3d/2d art programs]

[If there’s any additional questions that you think are necessary or could be useful, or any amendments you’d like to make to the current questions, please post after making your thread.]

5 Likes

Thanks for applying!
We’ve had a conversation on Discord, so I’ll give a quick summary in case you didn’t remember everything, and so the others are aware of everything we’ve discussed as well.
Like I said, I’ll only review your Rohan and Hobbit builds, although I’ve taken the other 3 builds into consideration as well.

First off, your Hobbit Build:

• The size felt a bit small, and the shape was a bit weird. Next time, feel free to copy a layout from one of the 2 Hobbitguides and work from there.
  • Although I see what you tried to do with the darker bits on your roof gradient, it might be worth going back to the gradientguide and follow it even more closely than you already did, at this stage of your journey try not to experiment too much.
  • You should divide your interior into separate rooms, although this will happen by copying a layout from the guide. This along with the size issue should probably fix the other interior issues automatically, too.

Your Rohan Build:

• Gradient is a bit off here too, although you’ve done a good first attempt. Again, the gradientguide should solve the issue.
  • Add a gradient in your walls too, and don’t do the unrefined logs on the corners.
  • As for your interior, the beams are a bit weird, namely the amount of beams on the sides, which could be at least halved, but also the use of full blocks, and the amount of vertical beams which could be replaced with horizontal beams instead.
  • Keep your beds mainly to the side of the walls, along the campfire. In case you need to fit in more of them though, you can have a (secluded) section on one end of the room to fit in the rest.
  • Add more storage in the form of Amphoras, baskets and crates, as well as a dining area and possibly a washing area if you have room left.
  • Add full (gray) blocks on the inside, to block light glitches. Only do smoke when your fire is actually burning.

One general thing:

• Try to combine elements of main map examples into your own build, rather than experimenting with your own designs at this stage of your ‘journey’, once you feel comfortable enough with a style, you could start experimenting a bit more, although you’ll need to know what you’re doing (by researching, mainly).

Now for your assignment(s):
I’ve decided that I’ll give you 2 assignments at the same time, since I would have requested you to do the other style as a second assignment, regardless of how good you’ve done the other style during the first assignment. These will be a regular Rohan house with 10 beds, a good place to look for reference is at /warp Staepham.
The second one will be a Hobbit post office in Buckland style, for reference on the exterior you can look at any (new) house throughout Buckland, for your interior you can look at any post office, for example the one at /warp Hobbiton and /warp Overhill. I’d like you to add a living area inside the post office too, with 1 double bed.
Since the layouts in the guides will probably not suffice for this assignment, it could be smart to ask a Builder+ or Overseer to check your layout before you start building.

When you’re done with one or both of these, leave a message in this thread and dm me on Discord, I’ll take a look and decide whether or not you’ll need another try.

2 Likes

I think that I’m done with the assignments. I only forgot to check the layout with a builder+ or Overseer. But you have seen the layout earlier this week and you gave me advice on it which I have taken into account, and I think it’s ready. I build the Rohan house based on one of the houses you showed me in Staepham. Only I made one less rich and more dark. That’s about the difference, I was hesitating about placing a tanning rack in the interior so I asked one of the overseer online on that time and they said that it was fine.

3 Likes

Apart from a few minor details, both houses are definitely apprentice-worthy. Congrats!
Please make sure to read the text below carefully, I’ll also try and hop into voice with you soon so I can give you a more thorough explanation of what’s expected of you, and to explain our project system.

Being an Apprentice means you are a part of the project, but not a full Builder yet. You have this rank so you can learn and understand how we build. We have high standards and a focus on realism which means that there are things for you to learn. Your duties as an Apprentice should give you good grounding to become a Builder, and, as such, you will begin your first lot of on-server building work assisting current Builders on their builds. This will hopefully allow you to obtain the experience needed to build on your own when you feel you can start on building something on your own. When building as an Apprentice, you are only permitted to build on one building at a time. This not only provides you with good practice for your time as a Builder, but also allows project leaders and Overseers to get a good and clear idea of what your building abilities are. This will allow us to give you better and more bespoke feedback, and prevent any unnecessary problems. Keep in mind that you are only allowed to work on something if you have permission from a project leader via an open plot or confirmation if it’s something else. Finally, as an Apprentice you must always listen to project leaders when they give you feedback, criticisms, and tasks. Ask them if you are unsure of what to build, or how to build it. You have this rank to learn.

In order to eventually obtain Builder, please read the guidelines below: When you build a house in a project and think it is finished, you should post a comment on this application thread with the closest warp and coordinates of your house. Then Builders or Overseers will comment on this thread and give you fair feedback. When you have achieved a standard of building that matches the basic standard of the server, you will be promoted to Builder. This could be on your first build or one further down the line. ArdaCraft is a friendly community that explores the freedom to create and build together. However, when we are dealing with an enormous project like this there are some guidelines we need to follow to make it work. Firstly, always name and date the stuff you build. We have a set of project blocks that we use - you can read about those in the new player guide at ‘/warp spawn’. Secondly, if you are looking for something to help out with, you can type ‘/warp jobs’. This is where you can find all open jobs like building houses or something similar. You will be provided with instructions on how to get to these projects, and what to build once you get there. Thirdly, do not be afraid to ask members for help and get to know us. This is a community project and it’s important to be part of the community! Stay active on Discord and the forums. Make sure to let an Overseer know who you are on Discord so that he can give you the appropriate rank on there. On a final note, please remember that Apprentice is not a permanent rank, so we require a certain level of activity during your progression. Being active fewer than once a month will result in your application being rejected.

3 Likes

first in world build done. /warp Breredon (x64, y28, z-51) Fisherman 2 beds Low class house.
Start 18/09/21

3 Likes

ruin middle house class in /warp Tharbad (X,4082 Y,54 Z,4599)

1 Like

It still needs fixes. I started to give you tips but alas, I had no time to give you more feedbacks. Do not hesitate to ask around for help.

1 Like

barn at Breredon 26-09-21

2 Likes

I’ve looked around the other plots and made some fixes to mine. It might still not be ready but it merges better with the surrounding plots I think.

2 Likes

I rebuilt the ruin. On the feedback you gave me. I’m not sure if it’s done yet tho maybe there are still a few things I missed. /warp Tharbad (X,4082 Y,54 Z,4599)

3 Likes

The Road From Staepham to the town I don’t know the name of yet is done
/warp Staepham (X134200, Y82, Z13660)

7 Likes

Marius asked me to put his application on hold until January, since he is very busy at the moment.

1 Like

Rejected for inactivity/lack of communication

1 Like

Re-opened

2 Likes