Builder Application: Laurelin_Glingal: REJECTED

Player name : Laurelin_Glingal (Irl name is Tiber)

How long have you been a member of this project? : Joined a week ago I believe.

How old are you? : 21

Where are you from? : Ontario, Canada

Are you in our Discord?: Yes (I’d be Tiber_w, already joined the channel)

Why do you want to help with this project? : Having recently re-read the Silmarillion, my love of Middle Earth has been refreshed. It would be incredible to know I took part in weaving the incredible world Tolkien created for all minecrafters to enjoy! (Also because I’d love to nerd out with others about Tolkien related stuff so this seemed like an appropriate community for that).

Which Tolkien-related works have you read, seen or listened to? : I’ve read The Lord of the Rings trilogy, Tale of Beren and Luthien, The Silmarillion (first in book form, more recently in audio), All of the movies (including the behind the scenes extras, animated adaptations, etc). I’m also diving into learning Sindarin from resources like the Parf Edhellen, and youtube.

Portfolio : (Please checkout my plot for further details. I wish i had screenshots of my old builds, but I recently redownloaded minecraft after a long hiatus, and alas, my worlds did not carry with me to this laptop.) Plot -17:-19

Are there any styles that you excel at? Any styles which you have difficulty with? : I love working with curves and angles, connective indoor/outdoor interiors, terraces and fortresses. When I was building through my test plot, I was struggling to get a handle on the detailed landscaping that is so regionally specific on the server, I think with time and cheat sheets, I will have no problem creating natural settings with accuracy and intention. I will also admit that I struggle sometimes with “micro-building” I’m always of the mind to build big and lofty, but its important to refine that for more minute scale.

Other relevant skills : Friendliness, hard-working mentality, desire to rule over all life (Kidding, that’s Melkor’s goal).

4 Likes

Hi, thanks for applying! It looks like you don’t have the ArdaCraft Overlay enabled though, make sure it’s on the right and on top in your Resource Pack :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi, Thanks for letting me know, cant believe I overlooked it. Should i repost screenshots with the appropriate resource pack?

1 Like

Sure, just edit the original post. Thanks!

2 Likes

You also don’t have the Conquest Reforged resource pack enabled, since you don’t have any connected textures. Please use /warp rptest or consult this document:

2 Likes

Hey Laurelin, from the screenshots it looks like you’ve made a decent start, however, there are still a few things that could be improved. It’d be great if you could mention your PlotID in your post so I can check it out in further detail in-game, in the meantime, you could check out /warp gradientguide and try to apply that to your roofs. I’ll give further feedback and your first request once I’ve seen your plot, if you’ve got any questions you can always pm me on Discord.

1 Like

Thanks for your help today! finally am able to enjoy the textures and alter my builds accordingly.

2 Likes

Hi! I took a look at the gradient guide and adjusted my builds accordingly. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and future critique. My post is updated with new screenshots and plot ID. Let me know if you’d like anything else or want to set up a time we are both on for a review.

2 Likes

Alright gave it a good look in-game, there are quite a few things that I’ve seen could be improved. The main thing you’ll need to do is follow the guides and in-game reference more closely, for example, the walls of your Rohan house are too high. I’ve sent you a message on Discord. As you said, think it’d be good if we could set up a time for us to both be online since it’ll make explaining things easier, I’ll also give you your request immediately after that.

1 Like

Following the call we had I’ve requested him to build a mid-class house with a bakery.

1 Like

I’ve given him more feedback, he’s updating his Rohan request and making a new Hobbit house too, a High-class house with a plot around it (Similar to the plot in the guide).

1 Like

Alright last request: A post office, you can look around Hobbiton, Overhill, Michel Delving and Stock for reference. After this we’ll decide whether you’ll get apprentice or not, but the results so far are promising.

3 Likes

Post office Request completed. Ready for review!

5 Likes

Good work! You’ve picked up our feedback pretty well, even though you’re not fully there yet you’re definitely worthy of Apprentice!

Being an Apprentice means you are a part of the project, but not a full Builder yet. You have this rank so you can learn and understand how we build. We have high standards and a focus on realism which means that there are things for you to learn. Your duties as an Apprentice should give you good grounding to become a Builder, and, as such, you will begin your first lot of on-server building work assisting current Builders on their builds. This will hopefully allow you to obtain the experience needed to build on your own when you feel you can start on building something on your own. When building as an Apprentice, you are only permitted to build on one building at a time. This not only provides you with good practice for your time as a Builder, but also allows project leaders and Overseers to get a good and clear idea of what your building abilities are. This will allow us to give you better and more bespoke feedback, and prevent any unnecessary problems. Keep in mind that you are only allowed to work on something if you have permission from a project leader via an open plot or confirmation if it’s something else. Finally, as an Apprentice you must always listen to project leaders when they give you feedback, criticisms, and tasks. Ask them if you are unsure of what to build, or how to build it. You have this rank to learn.

In order to eventually obtain Builder, please read the guidelines below:
When you build a house in a project and think it is finished, you should post a comment on this application thread with the closest warp and coordinates of your house. Then Builders or Overseers will comment on this thread and give you fair feedback. When you have achieved a standard of building that matches the basic standard of the server, you will be promoted to Builder. This could be on your first build or one further down the line. ArdaCraft is a friendly community that explores the freedom to create and build together. However, when we are dealing with an enormous project like this there are some guidelines we need to follow to make it work. Firstly, always name and date the stuff you build. We have a set of project blocks that we use - you can read about those in the new player guide at ‘/warp spawn’. Secondly, if you are looking for something to help out with, you can type ‘/warp jobs’. This is where you can find all open jobs like building houses or something similar. You will be provided with instructions on how to get to these projects, and what to build once you get there. Thirdly, do not be afraid to ask members for help and get to know us. This is a community project and it’s important to be part of the community! Stay active on Discord and the forums. Make sure to let an Overseer know who you are on Discord so that he can give you the appropriate rank on there.

On a final note, please remember that Apprentice is not a permanent rank, so we require a certain level of activity during your progression. Being active fewer than once a month will result in your application being rejected.

6 Likes

First Build: Rohan Style Sheppard homestead with landscaping and outbuilding. approved by ElderLichDm /warp efv4 (coords are xyz: 14125/29/14432)

Second Build: Rohan Style multi-house complex (Butcher, farmer, butcher’s shop, and landscape) Approved by ElderLichDm /warp efv4 (coords are xyz: 13995/50/14492)

5 Likes

Third Build: Entire plot/3 houses + barn and road gradient. assistance from Olaf on interiors and structure feedback. awaiting official approval from Sunwing. /warp sfhplanning plot #21

2 Likes

only the house is done atm smial still needs a roof change

1 Like

I’ve been having a few conversations with Laurelin in DM, he said he’ll be more active from next week onwards, he’s done some stuff which he hasn’t put on his thread yet. I’ve asked him to do a wall section in Tharbad, after which we’ll discuss promoting him to Builder.

1 Like

I will put his name on one of the sections before they all get claimed (as if they were going to all get completed before Laurelin gets to it lol)

EDIT:

Summary

Just here

1 Like

Laurelin agreed to have his application on hold for a month, after which he is rejected. During the month he can choose to come back and continue his application, after the month he can re-apply.

3 Likes