Builder Application: HenryForochel: REJECTED

Player name: HenryForochel

How did you find out about us?:
While looking up some lotr inspired builds on youtube.

How old are you?:
17-20

Where are you from?:
Czech Republic (Europe)
Are you in our Discord? Do you understand that you must have Discord running at all times when at your computer, and that you must check the forums every few days?:
Yes
Why do you want to help with this project?:
I love both Tolkiens work and minecraft and always wanted to build something lotr inspired. I really like the possibilities the mods and resource packs provide for building realistic and immersive world.
Which Tolkien-related works have you read, seen or listened to?:
I read, listened and watched The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings
I am now reading Silmarillion, i listened to parts of it while ago, but i was probably too young.
I also want to read Tolkiens other works.

Portfolio:
Eastfold Hamlet : Eastfold Hamlet-Application AC - Album on Imgur

Plot ID: -30,-36

Are there any styles that you excel at? Any styles which you have difficulty with?:
I really enjoy smaller details and build, i often struggle with larger builds as towers etc. without a good planning.

Other relevant skills: I know a bit of coding (no minecraft related example)

3 Likes

Hey, thanks for applying!

Spoke to you a bit in-game already, but, as promised, I’ll give you more detailed feedback here:

Rohan house:
Overall it’s clear you’ve used the guide and/or in-game reference, however, there are still a few issues. For example:
-You’ve got few beds, and the few that are there are kinda scattered around, try placing more, and against the long walls, some of them could be used for a bench at the table, or to sit on next to the fire. For a house this size you should be able to squeeze about 6 beds in there
-The contrast between the medium and dark dirt path in your floor is a bit too big, I’d go with a mix of dark and light dirt path (the dark one).
-Even though your house is quite small, it still feels pretty empty, try filling the empty parts with more storage, firewood, food (hanging fish, carrots), etc, don’t overdo this though, just 1 block of firewood is enough, and there shouldn’t be a whole school of fish in there.
-There’s room for improvement on your gradient, but it’s quite decent for a first try so don’t worry about that for now.
-Make your door a bit more interesting, as shown in the second step of the foldeguide. As of now, it’s one full block thick, try to make that half a block.

The Tharbad Ruin:
Like you’ve said yourself your ruin is a bit messy, now I’m not too familiar with the new Tharbad style myself, so I can’t really give you detailed feedback on that. I’ll just let that slide for now in the hopes that someone like @Yannig can give you more detailed feedback either here or in-game when you’re doing a ruin in Tharbad as an apprentice.

First request:
You’ve already been working on this since we discussed it in-game earlier today, but to summarize:
I want you to make a high-class Hobbit house plot, that means gardens/allotments as well. You can copy one of the hobbit guide layouts and work your way from there. Take reference from the Tuckborough style, combine elements from various houses into your own build (for example a table design from one house, with the furnace design from another), make sure those elements are from other High-class houses though.

If you’ve got any questions, feel free to dm me on Discord or ask me in-game, I’ll be happy to answer.

2 Likes

Sorry, I’m on vacation and only noticed the Tharbad discord of my absence for 2 weeks. I can’t connect to the server but if you have screenshots, I can give you some feedback. @Oriol & @Ytsen can also take a look.

1 Like

Can come back to it later when you’re back too, he’s got enough to focus on rn anyway.

1 Like

Alright, so concerning your Tharbad ruin, I found some elements that need rework:

Wrong vegetation in many places.

The first thing I see, is that you did not put nearly enough vegetation. Leaving some grass blocks empty of any herb or bush is good and I strongly believe in the motto “less is more”, but there is not enough vegetation at the moment so that is the first thing I ask you to fix.
Staying on the topic of vegetation, I also notice that you placed rushes on the grass far from your bodies of water. rushes and summer reeds should only go on mud, coarse dirt and water blocks and should always be 2 or sometimes 3 blocks tall. Never 1 block tall except above water.

Not enough grass layers along the walls

The other issue that strikes me is the lack of grass layers around your walls to make them look like they disapear into grass mounds formed by the rubbles of the house over several centuries. I can see that you partially understand the concept of mounds as you already made the inside of your ruin look either like a small hill in the dryer areas and hollow in the wetter ones.

So that was my critics, they were few so good job overhaul !
You understood the principle of wet and dry ruins, you put a good variety of vegetation that are logical in this part of Middle Earth, you even thought of using kingsfoil ! Your walls are not too tall nor too small… I didn’t notice any animal but I might have missed them because I looked at the screens with a tablet .

Fix your vegetation and the layers and you can consider your ruin as approved on my end ! I can’t wait to have you onboard.

4 Likes

We’ve had a conversation in DM, Henry’s said he will work on his application from time to time until July. In July he’ll probably put his app on hold.

2 Likes

Rejected due to inactivity.