Builder Application: Grandsmith: REJECTED

Player name: Grandsmith

How did you find out about us?: Viggoman

How old are you?: 30

Where are you from?: Chicago USA

Are you in our Discord? Do you understand that you must have Discord running at all times when at your computer, and that you must check the forums every few days?: Yes, also Grandsmith.

Why do you want to help with this project?:Fantasy and Building is a very strong hobby for me. Lord of the Rings has also been important for me growing up. I would love to be part of something big that combines my lost love for art and Tolkien. Also everyone is super cool and encouraged me to apply

Which Tolkien-related works have you read, seen or listened to?:
I have seen every movie. Read Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, Silmarilion, and Currently starting The Great Tales.

Portfolio: Arda Builder App - Album on Imgur

Plot ID:-36:-36
Are there any styles that you excel at? Any styles which you have difficulty with?:I particularly have a easy time building if I can get excited about the build. In particular I am excited to do Mordor and Gondor. I would suspect Id only struggle with completely abandoned ruins.

Other relevant skills: I am a full time Software engineer. I can help with anything we need. I have done multiple projects in Java, C++, C#, PHP, and all front end scripting.

I was not sure how much to include for my rohan build. The hamlets I drew inspiration from many houses have only a place for laundry, and perhaps they all would share with the village other accomadations.

7 Likes

I will be taking time this morning to review your builds. Just figured I would let you know in case I get busy and end up partially AFK due to calls at work.

4 Likes

I hurt my knee

While reviewing your plot, I noticed some issues.

I found that with your Hobbit home, you relied too much on copying nearly block for block the middle class house from /warp HobbitGuideFB. You’ve made some minor changes such as chimney positions or a certain piece of furniture here or there–but arguably some of the changes weren’t for the better.

Your nearly exact 1:1 copy of the exterior is actually fine in some ways. However, the Hobbit Guide is slightly out of date which is my fault. Please review the Gradient Guide in the near by guide section. /warp Gradient should do.

Inside you’ve done little to make the kitchen your own–obviously there wont be some details such as the paintings as those are builder only. Please seek out other hobbit builds and look at their kitchens.

Once again seeing where things were copied. Please be sure to change this up.
It also has 3 high shelves and cabinets which we try to limit as hobbits are short

Something I’d like you to do with the interiors is to make the rooms a bit more dynamic. Don’t have everything flat against a wall, the whole space should feel lived in. I’d like you to build a new Hobbit house from scratch, have a look at /warp Michel Delving and /warp Tuckborough as those two have the most recent examples of refined Hobbit building style.

After you do that, we’ll review your Rohan build closer which also needs some work.

Over All, you can at least produce the Hobbit build style which shows potential!

4 Likes

Rejected due to inactivity.

2 Likes